Middle

I LOVE this guy!! I've a soft spot for him after he beat the self styled HM Sole (aka Ian) in the last Douglas South bye-election. :)

He has to look down at his notes to see which constituency he's standing in, and then has to read what he does, then reads most of his pitch blandly from his script. Ace.

He's lived in the vicinity of Middle for many years (but just not actually in Middle)

It's pure gold the clip at the start... "Hi... I'm David".... look at my action man eye trick.

Good luck to him! 

(And also nice to see consistency of tie wearing from the last election, very patriotic)

Edited by b4mbi
noticed consistency of ties
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

He also had ‘remember to smile at the end’ written on his crayon notes. 

Unfortunately, I can see him reading out a prepared statement on the prom with similar conviction - probably written with the same crayon, wearing the same tie .. same shirt and suit come to that.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:22 PM, x-in-man said:

KH has been out in the sun too long.  Either that or it’s been a long lunch - 

‘Busses with removable batteries to power cafes in bus stations … yeah, all of our bus stations.

Vending machines (reads life he means on the buses) selling manx products.. including Manx coffee .. 

I passed the Manx coffee bean plantation on the way home (while wishing I could have a pie on the bus) and thought we need more of these.  Maybe a banana forest, coconut field and a rocking horse poo processing plant making electricity at a cheap rate.

Connor Cummins and noas both make /roast coffee. Cummins coffee is sold out of vending machines in pretty much every petrol station. 

We don't have a bus station (in Douglas), but it has been heavily discussed for years that we should... If we are to make busses a viable and attractive service. 

A secondary battery charging during transit, via a split relay is a very common thing. It's in every campervan for a reason. These batteries could be removed when full, to power a cafe in said bus station, in which you would not need to staff if you just had vending machines. 

I often find myself on a bus and I am a fan of the various differing pie companies on isle. But it was one suggestion. We also have other food vendors. 

^^ this was just a few random suggestions on how you can make bus services work better. 

Edited by Keiran Hannifin

3 hours ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Connor Cummins and noas both make /roast coffee. Cummins coffee is sold out of vending machines in pretty much every petrol station. 

We don't have a bus station (in Douglas), but it has been heavily discussed for years that we should... If we are to make busses a viable and attractive service. 

A secondary battery charging during transit, via a split relay is a very common thing. It's in every campervan for a reason. These batteries could be removed when full, to power a cafe in said bus station, in which you would not need to staff if you just had vending machines. 

I often find myself on a bus and I am a fan of the various differing pie companies on isle. But it was one suggestion. We also have other food vendors. 

^^ this was just a few random suggestions on how you can make bus services work better. 

Bus services on the Island work very well.

The biggest challenge is getting people on them.  The only real way to do that is to force people on them like they did in London.  London made it so unattractive to drive a car in and pay to park that it pushed everyone on to public transport.

5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Bus services on the Island work very well.

The biggest challenge is getting people on them.  The only real way to do that is to force people on them like they did in London.  London made it so unattractive to drive a car in and pay to park that it pushed everyone on to public transport.

Have you seen our roads, taxes and car park prices? It's pretty unattractive already. I don't drive, as it just seems like a money pit on the island. 

Not having bus stations, mean that you have fair weather bus travellers *sometimes* but if not in a habit of using the busses, they will still likely not use them. Dial a ride is a farce. 

I will say, certain bus routes are great and regular. I do like the USB and WiFi on them. There are some good things about our busses. 

And.... All that being said, I'm not running with any real push for busses, it's not something I am prioritising, just an idea to make the service more attractive to improve to the provider and in turn, the passengers... One of the things that I've found being a candidate, is that people want an answer to solve every problem. Traffic congestion and public transport uptake is just something I'm asked about a bit. 

10 hours ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Have you seen our roads, taxes and car park prices? It's pretty unattractive already. I don't drive, as it just seems like a money pit on the island. 

Not having bus stations, mean that you have fair weather bus travellers *sometimes* but if not in a habit of using the busses, they will still likely not use them. Dial a ride is a farce. 

I will say, certain bus routes are great and regular. I do like the USB and WiFi on them. There are some good things about our busses. 

And.... All that being said, I'm not running with any real push for busses, it's not something I am prioritising, just an idea to make the service more attractive to improve to the provider and in turn, the passengers... One of the things that I've found being a candidate, is that people want an answer to solve every problem. Traffic congestion and public transport uptake is just something I'm asked about a bit. 

Having just been to the UK I can tell you our roads are pretty good, our car parking is plentiful and cheap and our bus services are superb in comparison.

Parts of the country we visited there was no way at all of getting from one town to another of you wanted a drink and so not to drive. That included no bus and not even any taxis prepared to do the run.

Are there any real public transport issues in Middle?  I can only think of a few areas that don’t have a regular and efficient bus service and anyone who lives on those roads was well aware of that when they chose to live there.

most of your policies seem to involve additional outlay by government (which is fair enough, those are the things voters want to hear) but I would be interested to know of any proposals to actually increase the. Treasury coffers? Attract more businesses? Raise taxes?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Having just been to the UK I can tell you our roads are pretty good, our car parking is plentiful and cheap and our bus services are superb in comparison.

Parts of the country we visited there was no way at all of getting from one town to another of you wanted a drink and so not to drive. That included no bus and not even any taxis prepared to do the run.

Are there any real public transport issues in Middle?  I can only think of a few areas that don’t have a regular and efficient bus service and anyone who lives on those roads was well aware of that when they chose to live there.

most of your policies seem to involve additional outlay by government (which is fair enough, those are the things voters want to hear) but I would be interested to know of any proposals to actually increase the. Treasury coffers? Attract more businesses? Raise taxes?

Agree 100% about UK parking and roads.

Anyone who's done regular travelling around the UK would realise it is cheap as chips to park on the IOM compared to the UK.

From memory a couple of years ago I stayed overnight at a hotel in Liverpool and had to park the car over the road. At 13 quid for the night.

We have such wildly differing demographics from the UK, I never understood why we keep using it as a set bar.

5 hours ago, trmpton said:

In Middle, we're actually very lucky for the most part where busses are concerned (shy of the number 4),this is mainly because of the hospital location....but public transport is a national issue, instead of just a local one. 

As for boosting the treasury, most of my ideas are based on stimulating the economy as a whole. We as an island are OBSESSED with bringing rich people to the island, attracting businesses, instead of making people here richer and creating business. 

Topshop, for instance... That was a drain to our society as a whole. They paid every member of staff, below living wage, whilst avoiding high taxes.

My ideas, such as the restructuring of benefits/minimum wage/living wage are specifically designed to boost our economy with spending in the right places. 

Here's the podcast from David Fowler on Manx Radio :

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/general-election-2021/episode/david-fowler-candidate-interview-1/?autoplay=1

And here is a link discussing the most comprehensive study ever conducted about "trickle down economics" 

https://www.lse.ac.uk/News/Latest-news-from-LSE/2020/L-December/Tax-cuts-for-the-rich

If we want to boost our treasury, the first trick, is making sure people can afford to live. 

IOMGs definition of Living Wage

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/economic-affairs-division/isle-of-man-living-wage/

"It is intended to represent the minimum level of pay necessary to allow people the basic opportunities and choices necessary for them to participate in society." 

We need to do better than allowing many of our workforce to earn 23.5% less than what is required to participate in our society. 

Edited by Keiran Hannifin
Adding links for reference

2 hours ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Topshop, for instance... That was a drain to our society as a whole. They paid every member of staff, below living wage, whilst avoiding high taxes.

My ideas, such as the restructuring of benefits/minimum wage/living wage are specifically designed to boost our economy with spending in the right places. 

Whilst I am generally supportive of the living wage I do think that singling out high street retailers as examples is not helpful. 

These are businesses who have been struggling for a while with the cost of premises (much of which is their own  fault having sold off their properties to raise capital) and the increased competition from online shopping.

The pandemic and recent lockdowns have also had a significant impact.

Personally I think a Universal Basic Income is the way to go.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Whilst I am generally supportive of the living wage I do think that singling out high street retailers as examples is not helpful. 

These are businesses who have been struggling for a while with the cost of premises (much of which is their own  fault having sold off their properties to raise capital) and the increased competition from online shopping.

The pandemic and recent lockdowns have also had a significant impact.

Personally I think a Universal Basic Income is the way to go.

I singled that one out specifically, as it was seen as a great tragedy....and as mentioned above, there is very little advantage to these companies coming to the Isle, paying no tax, or decent wages. So WHY is every politician fascinated with bringing them over?

I know one of the managers of the local store, who studied fashion across and came back. £9ish an hour. 

Meanwhile.... 

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/01/arcadia-worker-tells-sir-philip-green-to-sell-100000000-yacht-to-help-staff-13681218/

I do believe in UBI too. But, it needs to be implemented correctly, otherwise it would cause a huge inflation rise. My idea was originally thought up as an intro to UBI... And people are already telling me it's too expensive/ambitious. I've spent a fair bit of time, talking to many people from all different backgrounds to try and figure out a way where, it doesn't attack business, or cause a "cliff edge" effect. 

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

How would you be at for it? Presumably put taxes up for those working 

Its a much unknown. As many economists believe that the economy would boom for it. But... In todays society capitalism would just see further chance of profit.

Its why we need a system in place, where people are looked after in the first place. 

In a world increasingly without traditional jobs a sovereign citizens wealth fund or some form of special reserve will surely be needed to fund meaningful work for ordinary people in the long term? Might be at least partially funded by state co-investment in IOM enterprises that profit could be taken from later

• Like 2

^^ that's pretty much the idea. 

You set legislation in place, where any business can only pay out "x" amount of wages per week, between £8.25-£10.18.... Let's say £1,443, which is 5 people on minimum wage, 35 hours a week. Or as many part timers as is equivalent. The gov. Then subsidises those pay cheques to living wage (like an EPA, but no means testing). Any more members of staff than that, the employer must pay a living wage as standard.

This way the responsibility/obligation lands between both, the government and those who profit the most from the labour of low income workers.

2 hours ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

^^ that's pretty much the idea. 

You set legislation in place, where any business can only pay out "x" amount of wages per week, between £8.25-£10.18.... Let's say £1,443, which is 5 people on minimum wage, 35 hours a week. Or as many part timers as is equivalent. The gov. Then subsidises those pay cheques to living wage (like an EPA, but no means testing). Any more members of staff than that, the employer must pay a living wage as standard.

This way the responsibility/obligation lands between both, the government and those who profit the most from the labour of low income workers.

I am going to hazard a guess you have never taken the huge financial, emotional and emotional risk of starting a business using your own funds, blood, sweat and tears to provide work for others and contribute to the economy though taxes, rent, rates, fuel, and supporting other local businesses.

Obviously in most cases the driver is personal gain in the long term, but if you think every business owner with more than a handful of staff is creaming the profits off and paying a pittance you are sorely mistaken.

An awful lot earn significantly less than those they employ on top of having the huge stress and often taking further lending to help their staff.

Your proposal would send lots of them under and leave far more than just the business owner out of work and dependent on state handouts.

Nice idea in theory - wouldn’t work in the real world 

• Like 2