Middle

22 hours ago, HeliX said:

If you think finding out about white privilege in middle age is annoying, imagine being subjected to the alternative since birth.

OK let’s assume I educate myself about “white privilege” and my anti racism awareness reaches a higher plane. What am I to do with my new found knowledge? How can I use it in any practical way?

In the mid to late 1970’s I was a member of the Rock Against Racism movement which harnessing the power of music, achieved more than the muddled thinking of the BLM movement is ever likely to do.

The message was clear, we would not accept racism. Slogans such as “black and white, unite and fight” were clear and unambiguous. None of this handwringing angst. Racism, then and now is wrong and the message was clear and undivisive.

It was a good Manx Radio Agenda this evening. Stu Peters and Michelle Haywood were with Phil Gawne.

I would say well worth a listen, especially for the Stu Peters detractors:

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/agenda/episode/agenda-special-part-11/

ETA:

Michelle Haywood provides a suitable counter balance for much of what Stu Peters says. So, 'The truth is somewhere in the middle'. The programme demonstrates why a good debate or argument - or for that matter a parliament - needs varied input.  

Edited by Barlow

14 hours ago, Barlow said:

It was a good Manx Radio Agenda this evening. Stu Peters and Michelle Haywood were with Phil Gawne.

ETA:

Michelle Haywood provides a suitable counter balance for much of what Stu Peters says. So, 'The truth is somewhere in the middle'. The programme demonstrates why a good debate or argument - or for that matter a parliament - needs varied input.  

Yeah, Gawne's presentation, once  you acclimitise to his accent adds to the debate. 

Bit disappointed in Haywood blathering about what people say on the doorstep - when she didn't seem to bother knocking on doors in Port Erin.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barlow said:

ETA:

Thanks for that link, just had a brew and a listen.

IMO, Stu comes across really well, though he amused me when he said ‘I know my preferred choice of CM but haven’t spoken to HIM yet. What impressed me with Stu, is that (unlike when he hosted his radio phone ins) he is listening and focussing on what issues people raised when he was knocking on doors. I think he will do well, he is winning me over.

Michelle though makes herself sound brighter than she actually is, quoting academia and projects she has managed! She has all the hallmarks of becoming a typical MHK, who will defend the indefensible for any failings within government departments that she is affiliated to. She mentioned something along the lines of how fisheries in DEFA have some great guys (really?). Sort of supported the DOI regarding the Prom apart from communication skills, but implied that the public perhaps don’t understand the complexities, beefed herself up by quoting PSM issues that she was involved in, along with historic utility service drawings - or lack of them. My fault, I should have voted for Kemp and the green lad in Rushen.

Again, using the UK comparison (this analogy is ignorantly used too often - it’s apples and pears),  Michelle said something along the lines of we wouldn’t have a hospital for 85,000 people in the UK - no shit, but this isn’t the UK, it’s an island that’s in the middle of the Irish fuckin Sea, with it’s own complete government, and sometimes the weather can stop all transport to the nearest UK hospital (Stu made some good points here). She also appeared supportive of the CS and felt sorry for their low morale - fuckin didums, too many of them are winging it, Black, Pretty (College), Procurement, Russian fella at Ronaldsway, Magsen at Hosp - see the whole Abbotswood ‘we don’t want those showing up as IOM Hosp statistics so let’s throw shit and hope some sticks’. I have seen the letters from Mark Newey (DCI - not sure if English is his first language), written in a manner of guilty until proved innocent. 

Stu (I hope) will tackle all issues head on and not spin us a yarn.

Michelle I believe will tell us what she thinks we need to know, and nothing more!

• Like 4

Yes, I think Michelle was displaying here talents at defending the indefensible, particularly regarding the promenade. Whereas it is good to hear another angle of an argument, I found her already to be a government sycophant.  DoI Minister in waiting.

ETA:

Actually, I think Stu Peters could well be getting lined up for a Ministership. Not now, but later.

MHKs with independent questioning minds will be worked on. Money? Ego? Vanity? They'll get there.

I wonder how long it will be before Mr Peters gives us the old "you can only change things from the inside" as we have heard so many say before, as they exit from their first Thursday morning CoMIn meeting.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

Aye, actually I didn’t think of her as DOI Minister. She beefed herself up so I hope Alf (it’s surely him) gives her the poisoned chalice which is DOI. 

You might be right about Stu getting tapped up, but without being rude about him, what ministerial qualities does he have - which department looks after work permits?

Edited by Will Halsall

53 minutes ago, Declan said:

Yeah, Gawne's presentation, once  you acclimitise to his accent adds to the debate. 

Bit disappointed in Haywood blathering about what people say on the doorstep - when she didn't seem to bother knocking on doors in Port Erin.  

I used to like Gawnie, probably because he is Manx, that little dabble with the box of Bryant and May in the early 80s gained some popularity - probably did that 40 years too early?

He chaired the Energy for Waste Committee (when the DOI wanted to diddle the islands residents by overcharging them). I was on the committee (PEC) with Rob Callister (I know this will result in a slating and loss of whatever credibility I had, but I like Rob!), and Rob was probably solely responsible for getting Gawne and his muppets in DOI to back down. That was when I realised that Gawnie had definitely lost focus from his paraffin past; he deserved to get emptied, probably not at the expense of Cregeen but hey ho.

I get the impression that Michelle only comes to PE to sit on the steps of the jetty, making sure her divers don’t drown. Other than jumping on the popular save the Nosy Cook bollox, I don’t think she is interested in this village. She didn’t knock on my door either, mind you there is a slight ascent to negotiate up the drive.

Yeah I listened to that programme and I to thought Michelle was making far to many excuses definitely came across to me as a new defender of the establishment of nothing to see here brigade, she mentioned  Defa as a well run department especially fisheries, well tell that to the commercial fisherman I think they may have an alternative view. It’s early days but Rushen seem to have got  mhks who like to talk a lot when action is what’s required whether you like kemp or Langton or not, I couldn’t see either of them rolling over and having there tummy’s tickled. If given a choice to vote for Gawne or Callister  the boy Rob every time. 

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

Yeah I listened to that programme and I to thought Michelle was making far to many excuses definitely came across to me as a new defender of the establishment of nothing to see here brigade, she mentioned  Defa as a well run department especially fisheries, well tell that to the commercial fisherman I think they may have an alternative view. 

Or was she intentionally offering an entirely opposite point of view to Stu Peters, for the damned sake of it, because she is one of the new golden girls.

6 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

I used to like Gawnie, probably because he is Manx, that little dabble with the box of Bryant and May in the early 80s gained some popularity -

Which is exactly how he got in. Few people agreed with what he did back then, and they rather liked to see a bad boy try to do something good of himself by standing as MHK. But did he ever nestle in with the establishment. No one was expecting that.