Onchan

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, Stu Peters said:

I've come to realise over the years (the benefit of hindsight again) that he (Vaaish edit - ‘he’ being Peter Karran) was absolutely right in calling out the 'clubby clubby', 'matey matey' 'one party state by patronage'.

I'm convinced that the next parliament won't have so many 'yes' men (and women) and that government and departments will have to do better. That's not to say the back benchers will vote every time against CoMin on principle (as happens in the Commons) but that scrutiny will be much stronger.

This hasn’t aged well…has it?

On 9/9/2024 at 9:43 AM, Vaaish said:

This hasn’t aged well…has it?

Like a fine wine. CoMin no longer has the block vote to push through legislation or policies the other members disagree with, scrutiny is evident at every sitting. Department members no longer get paid more, so the CM has little to threaten them with. Getting sacked from DOI wouldn’t cost me a penny but might lower my blood pressure. With party politics there is little attempt at consensus,with our system there is.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Like a fine wine. CoMin no longer has the block vote to push through legislation or policies the other members disagree with, scrutiny is evident at every sitting. Department members no longer get paid more, so the CM has little to threaten them with. Getting sacked from DOI wouldn’t cost me a penny but might lower my blood pressure. With party politics there is little attempt at consensus,with our system there is.

If you believe that scrutiny of the government within Tynwald is ‘stronger’, or offers any genuinely meaningful analysis of the Island’s strategic direction, then I suggest you look a little harder. The payment modifications you describe are little more than tinkering and certainly do not seem to have emboldened Members to challenge more robustly. And the final shot you fire into your own foot is claiming that consensus is to be applauded. That ‘consensus’ is a cosy non-boat-rocking club atmosphere that does not facilitate advancement through the generation, testing and challenging of new ideas. This Tynwald is supine, bereft of ideas, and coasting. 

On 9/10/2024 at 8:11 PM, Vaaish said:

If you believe that scrutiny of the government within Tynwald is ‘stronger’, or offers any genuinely meaningful analysis of the Island’s strategic direction, then I suggest you look a little harder. The payment modifications you describe are little more than tinkering and certainly do not seem to have emboldened Members to challenge more robustly. And the final shot you fire into your own foot is claiming that consensus is to be applauded. That ‘consensus’ is a cosy non-boat-rocking club atmosphere that does not facilitate advancement through the generation, testing and challenging of new ideas. This Tynwald is supine, bereft of ideas, and coasting. 

You confuse the theatre of PMQ's and awkward but ineffective questions and gesture politics in Keys and Tynwald as something you're missing. I suspect you enjoy brutal 'reality' (nothing of the kind) TV shows? This government gets plenty of scrutiny, not least from the various Tynwald committees. The fact that we are not constantly fighting internecine battles SHOULD be applauded, as it means we're mostly working together for the common good. My feet endorse this message.