Onchan

The Onchan Hustings was held last night, in a hall that had around four hundred chairs, there were less than fifty in attendance, I doubt if anyone was below the age of thirty. All but one of the candidates were in attendance. Mr Willers was off Island due to a hospital appointment.

Nothing really controversial or even mildy exciting came up, questions about the economy, pensions, environment, etc.

All candidates were polite to each other, some went on a bit much, surprised that the Chairman didn't limit answer time.

I doubt if the two sitting MHK's have much to worry about.

2 hours ago, Katman said:

The Onchan Hustings was held last night, in a hall that had around four hundred chairs, there were less than fifty in attendance, I doubt if anyone was below the age of thirty. All but one of the candidates were in attendance. Mr Willers was off Island due to a hospital appointment.

Nothing really controversial or even mildy exciting came up, questions about the economy, pensions, environment, etc.

All candidates were polite to each other, some went on a bit much, surprised that the Chairman didn't limit answer time.

I doubt if the two sitting MHK's have much to worry about.

Is this available to view online anywhere?  

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

That is literally taking the piss. How is that even allowed? 

He wasn't, he was allowed to read two statements for Willers, which if anything made matters worse for Willers, He would have been better off allowing a five year old to read the statements. Peter Karran only talks about Peter Karran, I think he only said Willers name once, but his own about ten times. But when Mr Leather water bottle crushing happened while Mr Karran was doing his summing up statement, I had to bit my lip to stop myself from laughing . But the prize goon award goes to James Cherry, His juvenile behaviour and language were appalling, he really needs to grow up. The "I know people,who know the know and I have talk to these people who know" was ridiculous and laughable. If he is the best the younger generation can offer, then we really are in trouble in years to come.

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 12:40 PM, Holte End said:

So the holding the government to account on what, none of the above, which was so detrimental to the island in the next administration. All I can say is well done Peter Karran you really had your eye on the ball. Putting an FOI in to UK HM Revenue and Customs in 2018, about sums it up. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/lewis_hamilton_not_paying_vat_on

He was often the lone voice of dissent before the fact, and therefore unable to change policy. Even after the event (with the benefit of hindsight) he was usually voted down by the nodding dogs who were paid extra to agree with the CM and CoMin block vote. I've come to realise over the years (the benefit of hindsight again) that he was absolutely right in calling out the 'clubby clubby', 'matey matey' 'one party state by patronage'.

I'm convinced that the next parliament won't have so many 'yes' men (and women) and that government and departments will have to do better. That's not to say the back benchers will vote every time against CoMin on principle (as happens in the Commons) but that scrutiny will be much stronger.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

He was often the lone voice of dissent before the fact, and therefore unable to change policy. Even after the event (with the benefit of hindsight) he was usually voted down by the nodding dogs who were paid extra to agree with the CM and CoMin block vote. I've come to realise over the years (the benefit of hindsight again) that he was absolutely right in calling out the 'clubby clubby', 'matey matey' 'one party state by patronage'.

I'm convinced that the next parliament won't have so many 'yes' men (and women) and that government and departments will have to do better. That's not to say the back benchers will vote every time against CoMin on principle (as happens in the Commons) but that scrutiny will be much stronger.

I hope you're not one of them

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Peter Karran was part of Comin, You may not remember the change of policy that lead to nursery closures. https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/nursery-closures-spark-heated-debate/                              Mr Peters please tell me what Mr Karran actually was the lone voice of dissent about, Also are you saying everyone in Tynwald was a nodding dog and Mr Karran views were always right. I get the feeling you are  just another closet Lib Van, your right wing views seem to be in line with theirs. Also could you tell us why  Mr Karran was banned from Manx Radio, were they part of the matey,matey. I think you should check how many times Comin lost key policy changes in the last administration before making "yes men" statements.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Peter Karran was a member of CoMin for a tiny part of his career. I'm not aware he was ever banned from Manx Radio. But you know best...

You can bet he is taking a ministers pension, one party state by patronising pensions, paid for by the state.  Might have been a tiny part of his career, it won't be a tiny pension, be nice to know if he gets this windfall now.

Edited by Holte End
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Holte End said:

You can bet he is taking a ministers pension, one party state by patronising pensions, paid for by the state.  Might have been a tiny part of his career, it won't be a tiny pension, be nice to know if he gets this windfall now.

Ask him. Peter was and still is remarkably approachable. With regards to the nursery voucher scheme as part of CoMin he was bound by CoMin decisions and as such when they watered down the scheme he had to bring it to Tynwald. But that still doesn't change the fact it was poorly thought out idea even before the funding got reduced.

This support for Willers is also daft.

37 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Ask him. Peter was and still is remarkably approachable. With regards to the nursery voucher scheme as part of CoMin he was bound by CoMin decisions and as such when they watered down the scheme he had to bring it to Tynwald. But that still doesn't change the fact it was poorly thought out idea even before the funding got reduced.

This support for Willers is also daft.

I am sorry, but Mr Karran has become a Gazelle, he was sat farthest away from the door at the tuesday meeting, but was gone before most people stood up. I don't believe he was bound by CoMin decisions for one, why not circumnavigate around issues like this to prove how good a political mind he had and find away to change the policy or resign. But no he ran with it. His support for Willers is no different than the support for Josem, Willers wants a change to planning laws, this will end up mainly affecting the east and I believe the people who  voted for Mr Karran, the Onchan contituents, it would end up with land around Onchan being built on. Something none of the residents of Onchan seem to want. Also why is he endorsing the abolition of work permits? Mr Karran had thirty years to voice these opinions in Tynwald.

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1