G7 taxation proposals vs zero-10

pongo

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-backs-15-global-tax-proposals/

Island among 130 OECD members to support plans

The Isle of Man has backed plans for a minimum global corporate tax rate of 15%.

The Island was one of 130 members of the OECD to support the proposals, following two days of negotiations in Paris.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Imagine a world where there was no tax advantage, where there was a global application of a fair and just system.

I'm trying to imagine the Isle of Man without a tax advantage and where that will leave us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

How many large multinationals are based here?  

AFAIK - this does not only impact large multinationals. That I think has always been a misunderstanding.

There are two strands to the G7 agreement AFAIK:

1. Concerns large corporations and where their profits are taxed.

2. Sets a minimum rate of corporation tax.

The second point certainly would affect the island. If my understanding of what has been agreed is correct. My understanding is that the minimum rate is exactly that.

3 hours ago, Twitch said:

I'm trying to imagine the Isle of Man without a tax advantage and where that will leave us.

Hope Tynwald members will ask Chief Minister Howard Quayle to elaborate on his viewpoint that 'the Island is well placed to adapt to these reforms' when neighbouring Ireland has withheld support for the proposals

Is it a perspective that might be reached as a retiring member of the House of Keys?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Twitch said:

With spuds, an' what's left of the herrin'

With a fossil-fuelled TT in the face of a world of electrification

And some rather attractive sheep....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

With spuds, an' what's left of the herrin'

With a fossil-fuelled TT in the face of a world of electrification

And some rather attractive sheep....

It's a fantastic place to be based. Especially for people who work remotely and enjoy the outdoors. And 15% will still be very much lower than most places.

13 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's a fantastic place to be based. Especially for people who work remotely and enjoy the outdoors. And 15% will still be very much lower than most places.

I agree but lots might not if they don't fall into the classes above. And for company accountants and tax wallahs looking at the bottom line, 15% is a big jump from 0% if there's no advantage to be had over other 15% jurisdictions?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

I agree but lots might not if they don't fall into the classes above. And for company accountants and tax wallahs looking at the bottom line, 15% is a big jump from 0% if there's no advantage to be had over other 15% jurisdictions?

Perhaps it becomes an opportunity to shift the emphasis and reduce personal taxation. Potentially making it an even better place for the remotely / remotely self-employed to be based.