Manx Telecom Service Status

Hillside

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 2112 said:

What would you suggest if your running a business, and you have to have decent email service?

Is this a joke?

Register a .Im domain and point gmail to it.

Most people I know would actively avoid any business with a Manx.net email address as to me it just shows they can’t even be arsed getting a proper email address, so god knows what else they scrimp on.

4 hours ago, trmpton said:

Is this a joke?

Register a .Im domain and point gmail to it.

Most people I know would actively avoid any business with a Manx.net email address as to me it just shows they can’t even be arsed getting a proper email address, so god knows what else they scrimp on.

How does a business who's had Manx net since the 90's get around this then ?  Historical contact for mail shots etc whats the easy way to get around this ? With thousands of customers who they email regularly . Genuine question ? 

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

How does a business who's had Manx net since the 90's get around this then ?  Historical contact for mail shots etc whats the easy way to get around this ? With thousands of customers who they email regularly . Genuine question ? 

That's just a business setup problem. Export your contacts and import them into a better email provider or preferably a mailing list manager (Mailchimp/ConvertKit/Aweber) which will handle your list/unsubs/GDPR etc. Using manx.net to send out 'mail shots' is antiquated and probably breaking GDPR rules if they have no means of unsubscribing.

If you think the admin of exporting the contact list and importing it to a better system is going to take you too much time, leverage that time by outsourcing the job to a virtual assistant who could probably have it done in a couple of hours.

14 hours ago, pongo said:

Lol at the implicit suggestion that this is some kind of national issue.

We have really good infrastructure thanks to MT. But nobody sensible is still using MT email for anything important. Not since years.

So why don't they do the honourable thing and inform their customers that they're closing that application and go find another email platform? Give all their customers 18 months to move their email over. They'd be doing their customers and themselves a favour. Instead they're pissing people off.

10 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So why don't they do the honourable thing and inform their customers that they're closing that application and go find another email platform? Give all their customers 18 months to move their email over. They'd be doing their customers and themselves a favour. Instead they're pissing people off.

On the other hand I’ve just had a marketing call and an offer of upgrade to fibre which will cost me £0.29 + VAT or month more than my current package.

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

On the other hand I’ve just had a marketing call and an offer of upgrade to fibre which will cost me £0.29 + VAT or month more than my current package.

that sounds good ,  no doubt they'll have the slowest fibre on the planet but if it improves your speed all the better.

4 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

that sounds good ,  no doubt they'll have the slowest fibre on the planet but if it improves your speed all the better.

They’re claiming double what I get now. 

30 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

25 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They’re claiming double what I get now. 

19 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The fibre has actually been pretty good and more importantly, consistent. They're trying to migrate everyone away from copper as quickly as they can.

They messed it up however. Had to ring me back because they were trying to e-mail the offer to me at mil@john….. ( which was bouncing ) rather than mail@.

£0.29 covers 100Mbps or £10.29 covers 200Mbps.

I currently average 30-40Mbps.

I still keep a Manx.net address for old times sake and I’m signed up for lots of stuff and can’t be arsed changing everything to my domain. It’s all set up to forward to my main address in any event.

2 hours ago, Pipsqueak said:

The fibre service is really good. Like many we are paying even less for much more.

(And no, I don't work work for MT when I am not not working for Tesco, the IOM govt, easyJet, Amazon and Hermes.)

39 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

the downside is im not close enough to an exchange to be put onto fibre, a 4/5g dongle may be quicker than my landlne

The new fibre service is fibre to the property, they're running it underground or on the overhead lines and just tap you into it with a little box on your wall by the phone socket.

Distance from the exchange isn't an issue as it's not using copper lines, it's just when they've gotten to your area. Whole island is due to be done by 2024 I believe.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

They messed it up however. Had to ring me back because they were trying to e-mail the offer to me at mil@john….. ( which was bouncing ) rather than mail@.

£0.29 covers 100Mbps or £10.29 covers 200Mbps.

I currently average 30-40Mbps.

I still keep a Manx.net address for old times sake and I’m signed up for lots of stuff and can’t be arsed changing everything to my domain. It’s all set up to forward to my main address in any event.

I would almost certainly go for the 100Mbps, it will be more than adequate for the majority of people's uses. The only real benefit beyond that is for people downloading vast amounts of data.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

My fibre marketing call promised to save me £2.xx per month.  My subsequent site survey showed there is no MT ducting into my property, so it's either (a) excavating a trench from the pavement to my property, at my cost, as per MT's t&c's or, (b), they will erect a number of telegraph poles in my neighbourhood to service the significant number of customers in the vicinity in the same situation as me.  MT knows someone that will excavate the trench from the pavement to the external wall of my property for "about £350", which still leaves me with the cost of a hole through the external wall.  So, for an anticipated outlay of what will probably be at least £500 when all is said and done, I can look forward to offsetting that against my £2.xx per month saving.   I'm currently paying for an 'up to 40mbps' broadband package, which is somehow currently delivering speeds in excess of that, so I won't be ordering fibre.  The site surveyor said most people in a similar predicament to me are not proceeding with it either, with one customer apparently stating they would use their £350 trench saving to acquire a chainsaw, in the event telegraph poles are erected in the neighbourhood.   It could get interesting.       

Archived