Manx Telecom Service Status

Hillside

They must be the only broadband provider in the whole world that are selling their internet packages to the public as

"Fast", "Ultrafast", "Lightning Fast" etc.. with absolutely no indication of what speeds these should be getting in return.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

They must be the only broadband provider in the whole world that are selling their internet packages to the public as

"Fast", "Ultrafast", "Lightning Fast" etc.. with absolutely no indication of what speeds these should be getting in return.

And a Government who will do nothing to protect the consumer. They have allowed MT to get away with this fiasco, obviously they haven’t been affected. Anything which affects the consumer and the IOMG burys it’s head in the sand. It also turns a blind eye to hoteliers not returning deposits for the cancelled TT of 2020. Still it likes to hammer landlords, and property owners who let their property. 

10 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Ask them and they will tell you.

Very few broadband suppliers in the UK advertise guaranteed speeds on their websites.

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

And a Government who will do nothing to protect the consumer. They have allowed MT to get away with this fiasco

I'd be very unimpressed if the government got involved in whether or not MT email is working properly. It's not like MT have got an email monopoly.

Govt has however got behind the fibre rollout. I was sceptical at first but I have changed my mind. Great work.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Very few broadband suppliers in the UK advertise guaranteed speeds on their websites.

I'd be very unimpressed if the government got involved in whether or not MT email is working properly. It's not like MT have got an email monopoly.

Govt has however got behind the fibre rollout. I was sceptical at first but I have changed my mind. Great work.

I don't think its a case of guaranteed speeds . There is no speed mentioned on the website :rolleyes:

You have to trawl through the website to find out what it is.

This is what I found out 

Ultrafast is upto 100 Mbps  for £48

Superfast is upto 200 Mbps  for £58

Megafast is upto 500 Mbps  for £83

Lightning Fast is upto 1000Mbps  for £146

To be fair to MT I've spoken to a few people who have had fibre installed. Speeds are much better than over copper and is often fairly close to max speed quoted.

I am going to say it.

I have used MT for years.  I have clients who have used Mt for years, corporate and private.

People who have issues with the service MT provide are the type of customers they could do without anyway.

Look after your own WiFi.  Get proper email. Have reasonable expectations of your internet provision.

If you do have an valid issue with the service communicate with the civilly and respectfully and they will fix it promptly. Every time in my experience.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

And a Government who will do nothing to protect the consumer. They have allowed MT to get away with this fiasco, obviously they haven’t been affected. Anything which affects the consumer and the IOMG burys it’s head in the sand. It also turns a blind eye to hoteliers not returning deposits for the cancelled TT of 2020. Still it likes to hammer landlords, and property owners who let their property. 

Why do the gov have to fix everything? 

9 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

STOP COMPLAINING MANX NET ISN'T WORKING AND USE ONE OF THE MANY FREE EMAIL SERVICES AVAILABLE THAT WORK LIKE EMAIL SHOULD DO. 

LOOK BEYOND MANX NET. 

totally agree, the snag is for many people all their business and personal emails are manx . net and changing is not that simple when you have business cards and people that may use your services irregularly adn your personal friends all have your old details on record as where to send to,  someone tried texting me on my old work mobile number about 4 years after i'd moved jobs ,  and to confess my own sins, i still have contact details stored from over 10 years ago because when i update my phone or PC i just sync everything without actually going through and editing anything, who wants to check over 500 contact entries ???

12 hours ago, pongo said:

Beware of double-edged swords.  Government were indeed the driver for fibre being rolled out, according to the surveyors who attended my property.  Very laudable, on the face of it.  Despite driving MT liveried vehicles, the surveyors told me they were not MT employees, but contractors, but that could possibly just have been an excuse not to accept receipt of my immediately redundant fibre router, which had been delivered to me the day before.  I asked how many site surveys had been failed due to no ducting etc into properties - "loads".   

So the conundrum which could be developing, is who will end up paying for ducting installation to properties, if there turns out to be a significant number of customers not prepared, or unable to, pay for it themselves, as per MT's t&c's?  The alternative solution is the erection of telegraph poles, which was not well received by residents at Ballacriy, Colby recently.  I would expect their consternation to be repeated island-wide. 

So who will pay for the ducting etc installation, in order to realise the Government's ambition (in September 2020), "to accelerate the roll out of ultrafast fibre broadband to pass >99% of homes by one year"?  As always, the devil will be in the detail as to the interpretation of that statement.  It just might mean fibre cable to the junction box outside your house, and not to it.  There are most certainly not >99% of households in my neighbourhood having fibre installed, if what the site surveyors said is true, but in any event, IOMG's September 2020 dream may have been achieved already, using an infrastructure that was already there, but just needed new fibre cabling added.

Ronald Reagan once said "Government is not the solution to our problem.  Government is the problem".  As I said earlier, this could get interesting.  

Dug up someones concrete drive a few years ago to redo it in block paving, cable just below it not ducted, 70's house. I advised the client, who was a prick, to speak to MT about their plans for fibre, and to at the very least stick a duct all the way up the drive to future proof it. It wasn't on the original quote, would have been an extra so they said no. Would have cost very little, hardly any extra time with the drive already up, a few quid for 15m of ducting.

They had to get half the drive pulled up last year for fibre, they had asked me but I said no. Cost them several thousand, serves them right.

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Dug up someones concrete drive a few years ago to redo it in block paving, cable just below it not ducted, 70's house. I advised the client, who was a prick, to speak to MT about their plans for fibre, and to at the very least stick a duct all the way up the drive to future proof it. It wasn't on the original quote, would have been an extra so they said no. Would have cost very little, hardly any extra time with the drive already up, a few quid for 15m of ducting.

They had to get half the drive pulled up last year for fibre, they had asked me but I said no. Cost them several thousand, serves them right.

Yes you were correct to mention it and yes the cost would have been miminal while it was already exposed. As you said a prick not seeing it. 

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I advised the client, who was a prick, to speak to MT about their plans for fibre, and to at the very least stick a duct all the way up the drive to future proof it

Smart of you to suggest it. Most of us would not have thought of that even a few years ago.

Archived