Manx Telecom Service Status

Hillside

On 6/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, pongo said:

Ask them and they will tell you.

Very few broadband suppliers in the UK advertise guaranteed speeds on their websites.

I'd be very unimpressed if the government got involved in whether or not MT email is working properly. It's not like MT have got an email monopoly.

Govt has however got behind the fibre rollout. I was sceptical at first but I have changed my mind. Great work.

Government? You mean the taxpayer has funded the roll out of fibre, to the tune of £10 million. Still haven't worked out why that was necessary and the roll out at their expense wasn't part of the granting of their licence. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You mean the taxpayer has funded the roll out of fibre, to the tune of £10 million. Still haven't worked out why that was necessary and the roll out at their expense wasn't part of the granting of their licence. 

It's super valuable for the economy. Especially with respect to attracting people to choose to work from here. In an era when the client might be anywhere on the planet.

Great rural internet is an essential selling point. Coupled with low rural crime, and a high quality of lifestyle.

Govt and MT are doing a great job of quickly and effectively getting it out to the countryside. I was sceptical at first too.

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's super valuable for the economy. Especially with respect to attracting people to choose to work from here. In an era when the client might be anywhere on the planet.

Great rural internet is an essential selling point. Coupled with low rural crime, and a high quality of lifestyle.

Govt and MT are doing a great job of quickly and effectively getting it out to the countryside. I was sceptical at first too.

Thanks Laurence.

18 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why did MT feel the need to advertise on national TV given they only serve the IOM?

3 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Why did MT feel the need to advertise on national TV given they only serve the IOM?

They didn’t. It’s focussed and targeted at a solely Manx audience through the miracle of IT. Whether by satellite, iptv, or terrestrial digital they can deliver to island only viewers.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, pongo said:

Ask them and they will tell you.

Very few broadband suppliers in the UK advertise guaranteed speeds on their websites.

No, but the suppliers in the UK give 'approximate' speeds for each page freely on their website. BT even go as far as giving you a 'guaranteed' speed. If they don't meet the guaranteed speed you get money back and the option to exit your contact.

To get an approximate speed out of MT you now have to call up. It all should be freely available on the website.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

They didn’t. It’s focussed and targeted at a solely Manx audience through the miracle of IT. Whether by satellite, iptv, or terrestrial digital they can deliver to island only viewers.

Given the poor standards of service delivered I would have thought they would have avoided any kind of advertising

10 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Government? You mean the taxpayer has funded the roll out of fibre, to the tune of £10 million. Still haven't worked out why that was necessary and the roll out at their expense wasn't part of the granting of their licence. 

Jersey did the same and it has been a huge selling point for them, by 2018 everyone has been on fibre. Fibre doesn't suffer getting wet, interference or oxidation like copper lines do. These all mean that the speeds you send down the line are unaffected by distance, no more of the being too far from the exchange.

There are still many places on the Island that can still only get ADSL, which tops out at a few megabits. Compare that to Jersey, who during the pandemic, arranged for telecoms providers to temporarily provide 1000 megabits to all subscribers. https://www.sure.com/jersey/latest-news/2020/free-fibre-upgrade-for-all-users-during-covid-19/.

If the Island wants to stay relevant, connectivity is vital.

8 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Jersey did the same and it has been a huge selling point for them, by 2018 everyone has been on fibre. Fibre doesn't suffer getting wet, interference or oxidation like copper lines do. These all mean that the speeds you send down the line are unaffected by distance, no more of the being too far from the exchange.

There are still many places on the Island that can still only get ADSL, which tops out at a few megabits. Compare that to Jersey, who during the pandemic, arranged for telecoms providers to temporarily provide 1000 megabits to all subscribers. https://www.sure.com/jersey/latest-news/2020/free-fibre-upgrade-for-all-users-during-covid-19/.

If the Island wants to stay relevant, connectivity is vital.

I'm not denying the connectivity issue and the benefits from it. I'm asking why the taxpayer should shell out £10 million to have it done when the costs of the project are not being met by the licence holder. The ultimate financial beneficiaries will be the MT shareholders.

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm not denying the connectivity issue and the benefits from it. I'm asking why the taxpayer should shell out £10 million to have it done when the costs of the project are not being met by the licence holder. The ultimate financial beneficiaries will be the MT shareholders.

Indeed, we're paying them so they can charge us more!

10 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The island needs this quicker than I suspect a private company on its own could otherwise afford to get it done.  It's essential infrastructure. 

7 hours ago, finlo said:

Indeed, we're paying them so they can charge us more!

I've just switched to fibre and my nett bill for the Internet is far lower than before.

Managed to get rid of my phone line  and its much faster as well..:)

Bills before was around £55 or so  per month  with the phone line and vdsl 2 and I was getting  only around 40 Mbps 

I'm now getting nearly the full 100Mbps and paying  around £42 per month with fibre and no phone line ..

On 6/11/2021 at 12:45 PM, John Wright said:

This is true.

Also, and not really relevant.  They do huge amounts of business off island.  Think several million SIM cards in millions of phones and IOT devices performing all sort of clever task in every corner of the world.

11 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

You think there will be financial benefits to MT from rolling fibre out to rural parts of the island like Glen Maye?

Really?

Good one

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

You think there will be financial benefits to MT from rolling fibre out to rural parts of the island like Glen Maye?

Agreed. Little benefit to MT. But a significant selling point for the island.

Archived