Ettyl

gossip1

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I saw a Steven Hawkins on Companies House was Disqualified but I assume it's a different one. Was just looking why he might not be a director himself.

You can't get photons out of a black hole, never mind any money 😀

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This is entertaining. Emerald Distributors Ltd lists 2 employees: Hawkins, Steve (secretary) and Hawkins, Steven (director).

Is that legal?

That's the multiverse for you.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Two-lane said:

This is entertaining. Emerald Distributors Ltd lists 2 employees: Hawkins, Steve (secretary) and Hawkins, Steven (director).

Is that legal?

Yes, a director, even a sole director, can be secretary too.  However, they cannot sign a document in both capacities.  UK companies don't have to have a secretary. 

Also, you have to have sufficient directors to make a quorum for decisions and meetings.  Under the model articles, the quorum is 2. 

So unless you have a different provision for a quorum, a company with standard articles cannot in fact function with one director.

Is it legal to use two different styles of name for the same person?   Probably not illegal, but possibly an oversight as the actual residential address and full date of birth has to be registered with Co House even though those details are not public.  Co House wouldn't necessarily pick that anomaly  up. 

There is new legislation in the UK to tighten up on the accuracy of information filed and improve their powers to make sure the info is accurate. 

Edited by Gladys
The important three letter word, 'not'
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I had a look at companies house. How does a company with a few hundred quid in the bank offer loans for millions?

It doesn’t say it does. It’s a middleman/introducer, allegedly bringing together investors and businesses requiring investment or capital.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It doesn’t say it does. It’s a middleman/introducer, allegedly bringing together investors and businesses requiring investment or capital.

Sorry, this is what I'd read

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/fraud-trial-hears-letter-used-by-isle-of-man-company-director-in-talks-to-buy-airline-was-fake-685451

Quoting

These documents made out that the government were acting as guarantor for a loan of £13m between Ettyl and a company named Paradigm VL Group Ltd in order to purchase the airline.

11 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I had a look at companies house. How does a company with a few hundred quid in the bank offer loans for millions?

I saw a Steven Hawkins on Companies House was Disqualified but I assume it's a different one. Was just looking why he might not be a director himself.

Probably in the same way a day old company can secure millions of pounds worth of PPE contracts.........

Its not what you know etc etc..

5 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Sorry, this is what I'd read

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/fraud-trial-hears-letter-used-by-isle-of-man-company-director-in-talks-to-buy-airline-was-fake-685451

Quoting

These documents made out that the government were acting as guarantor for a loan of £13m between Ettyl and a company named Paradigm VL Group Ltd in order to purchase the airline.

is that the same paradigm that closed down after that snooker player robbed them and moved to jurby ??

Posted (edited)

Todays installment is good where Hawkins discloses that he was basically paid five grand to issue a valueless facility letter and did no due diligence at all. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/brokers-shock-over-forged-documents-used-in-alleged-stobart-air-purchase-fraud-686428

“The witness also denied drafting an email to Mr Scales to which the guarantee document was attached”

Edited by FANDL
Added italics

17 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Another day.. quick write up.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-pilot-was-first-to-raise-the-alarm-over-alleged-stobart-air-purchase-fraud-686737

I find it funny (I think) that it was Loganair who apparently were first to start asking questions.

What really strikes you about all that is how convoluted it is.  An Aer Lingus employee has some concerns over the authenticity of a letter signed by a couple of Manx civil servants.  Does he ring them up to check?  Of course not.  He rings someone in another airline who contacts someone he knows who is an MHK who speaks to the Chief Minister (who appears to do nothing) and the Minister who then contacts the Aer Lingus guy and tells him to .... contact the civil servants to validate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Cross-examining, defence advocate Laurence Vaughan-Williams said there was no dispute that the ‘Greenhow guarantee’ document was not genuine. But he added: ‘What the defence is unable to establish is the provenance of that particular document.’"