Ettyl

gossip1

Just now, AOR said:

Hah hah, I call them BadMenham. It's a bit like calling Flybe 'Flymaybe'. I'm real fun at parties btw.

My favourite before they changed their name was Dickinson Crookshank.... 

Dick-in-hand Crotch-wank 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

You'll need to take that up with our immigration morality police. 

You have a point. Some of our HNWIs both past, present and possibly future residents, some haven’t generated positive publicity. Some gain negative column inches in the Guardian. This in turn could cause issues if a Labour administration is elected in 2024/25, if they decide to cause trouble for the island.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You have a point. Some of our HNWIs both past, present and possibly future residents, some haven’t generated positive publicity. Some gain negative column inches in the Guardian. This in turn could cause issues if a Labour administration is elected in 2024/25, if they decide to cause trouble for the island.

The way it’s going in the UK we’re going to get a load of chancers leaving and coming here as Rishi loads the taxes on anyway. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Vaguely related in terms of Bitcoin Bullshit artist, I've just seen that Digital IOM conference has announced that one of their sponsors is a company with Craig Wright behind it. 

Mr Wright claims to be Satoshi, the creator of Bitcoin, but has no evidence to prove this and been in court many times as a very polarizing character in the Crypto space.  It seems most people think he's full of shit too. 

Again, not a good look for the Isle. 

I saw that this morning, poor thinking. Digital's tweet seems to have been removed so perhaps they are rethinking. You couldn't make it up! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Haven't they just:

Wow, well at least they listened! 

I'm kind of baffled how a 'third party handles sponsorship' however.  At least no one from Digital Isle would have to make that awkward phone call - "Hi yeah, we don't want your money anymore"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Wow, well at least they listened! 

I'm kind of baffled how a 'third party handles sponsorship' however.  At least no one from Digital Isle would have to make that awkward phone call - "Hi yeah, we don't want your money anymore"

What exactly is the purpose of the event anyway? Will delegates get to find out how successful the taxpayer funded Isle of Man esports team has been?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Twitch said:

What exactly is the purpose of the event anyway? Will delegates get to find out how successful the taxpayer funded Isle of Man esports team has been?

Agenda attached.  Seems to be 2 sessions out of 20 on e-sports. 

Digital-Isle-2022-Agenda.pdf

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

A lot of people spat their coffee out this morning but kudos to DIOM for responding quickly. 

Looking at an email I received from them 2 weeks ago, they had nchain as a sponsor then. 

36 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Judging by the Sponsorship Pack[1] the sponsorships appear to handled by Ashgrove Marketing, who no doubt take a handsome cut for their pains.  Most of the sponsors seem to be the usual suspects, handing back some of the Government contract money they are regularly given.  All very cosy and probably not requiring an intermediary in any normal organisation.  But most senior Manx civil servants have got themselves into the mindset where they don't actually do anything, they just commission other people to do things.

The deadline was 10 October, which suggests that NChain may well have been a sponsor for some time and it was only today's enthusiastic tweet that made people realise.  Though they aren't on the sponsors list, so either it was quite late or someone who updates government websites can react quickly.  Which would be a first.

Still it's nice to get an admission of mistake that doesn't require an 800 page Tynwald report first (not that even that usually produces one).

[1]  Which is actually a PowerPoint presentation, because that is all these people know how to do or how to react to.  Presumably even "What you like for dinner, darling?" has to go up on 'slides'.

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Judging by the Sponsorship Pack[1] the sponsorships appear to handled by Ashgrove Marketing, who no doubt take a handsome cut for their pains.  Most of the sponsors seem to be the usual suspects, handing back some of the Government contract money they are regularly given.  All very cosy and probably not requiring an intermediary in any normal organisation.  But most senior Manx civil servants have got themselves into the mindset where they don't actually do anything, they just commission other people to do things.

The deadline was 10 October, which suggests that NChain may well have been a sponsor for some time and it was only today's enthusiastic tweet that made people realise.  Though they aren't on the sponsors list, so either it was quite late or someone who updates government websites can react quickly.  Which would be a first.

Still it's nice to get an admission of mistake that doesn't require an 800 page Tynwald report first (not that even that usually produces one).

[1]  Which is actually a PowerPoint presentation, because that is all these people know how to do or how to react to.  Presumably even "What you like for dinner, darling?" has to go up on 'slides'.

You’d think with the number of people employed by Digital Isle of Man that they could organise their own sponsorship arrangements. Would be commission-free too.

5 minutes ago, Omobono said:

So why is a third party organising this event , just what are you paying your staff for , you should be ashamed of yourself  

too much bullshit  in the department of Enterprise , 

Lots of companies use marketing agencies to deliver events. It's not that unusual (no I don't work for DfE).

Edited by Capt_Mainwaring