NHS app data for Manx residents

ballaughbiker

Some of you may be aware that travel out of the UK now is considerably aided by proof of having both vaccine doses and a recent PCR test.

The proof of vaccinations seems to be required in the form of a scannable QR code generated by the NHS app. I have been told this morning that patients registered at a practice in the Isle of Man are entitled to use the NHS app ( as opposed to the usual EMIS Patient Access app) and I have recently downloaded it and all my Manx medical data is available.

Both Covid vaxes appear on the 'immunisations' page but unfortunately this is not the page from where the app can generate this all important QR code. This is because our data doesn't reach NHS Digital via an organisation called Pinnacle at the moment due to regulatory issues which I understand are being reviewed by the Cabinet Office.

So...if you were hoping to travel out of the UK and were thinking of downloading the NHS app to generate this QR code, I wouldn't bother just yet but let's hope that the Cabinet Office can resolve this issue promptly.

Edited by ballaughbiker

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

Some of you may be aware that travel out of the UK now is considerably aided by proof of having both vaccine doses and a recent PCR test.

The proof of vaccinations seems to be required in the form of a scannable QR code generated by the NHS app. I have been told this morning that patients registered at a practice in the Isle of Man are entitled to use the NHS app ( as opposed to the usual EMIS Patient Access app) and I have recently downloaded it and all my Manx medical data is available.

Both Covid vaxes appear on the 'immunisations' page but unfortunately this is not the page from where the app can generate this all important QR code. This is because our data doesn't reach NHS Digital via an organisation called Pinnacle at the moment due to regulatory issues which I understand are being reviewed by the Cabinet Office.

So...if you were hoping to travel out of the UK and were thinking of downloading the NHS app to generate this QR code, I wouldn't bother just yet but let's hope that the Cabinet Office can resolve this issue promptly.

Old news, been covered on here several times over the last 2 months. My GP has issued a paper certificate with details of my passport number and date and place of issue - to connect/cross reference to a photo ID.

I did suggest they use the WHO approved form for Yellow Fever and other vaccinations, but they aren’t an accredited YF vaccination centre.

If you link the NHS app to your existing patient access account it displays the content in the patient access account. As Manx data is not stored in the English NHS & the UK Covid vaccination status is not derived from the GP records but another system the NHS app doesn't display our Covid vaccinations currently 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cream Horn said:

I downloaded it too, and found (somewhat bizarrely) that it didn't think I'd been vaccinated, however my covid jab was available to see in my inoculations?  So basically it didn't work.  As with so much in my life, I think i've been put in wrong.

11 minutes ago, momo65 said:

If you link the NHS app to your existing patient access account it displays the content in the patient access account. As Manx data is not stored in the English NHS & the UK Covid vaccination status is not derived from the GP records but another system the NHS app doesn't display our Covid vaccinations currently 

You don’t have to link. The info goes straight between the two. Except

1. it’s displayed differently snd more coherently on the NHS App.

2. More information appears on your NHS ( Covid apart ). Some third party non GP info, especially tests, appears on the NHS App and not on Patient Access. That’s generally because your GP makes the entries from EMIS to Patient Access which transfers to NHS. Certain non GP tests get uploaded direct to NHS App but don’t transfer to Patient Access.

3. Your vaccination record appears on both.

4. your Covid Vaccination passport on NHS App is sourced from a different, English NHS data base, called Pinnacle, that doesn’t currently receive or share IOM data, and has more info like type of vaccine, batch number.

3 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I've had a look at my patient access info and it only shows details about my second dose of the covid vaccine 

Isnt it supposed to show details of both doses ?

That will depend on whether your gp practice remembered to upload it. 

• Like 1

Old news, been covered on here several times over the last 2 months.

Oh, sorry. Did a forum search for 'NHS app' before contributing and ....nothing. Also Hancock only announced it going live to UK patients 3 weeks ago. Anyway.... more importantly, does anyone know why our leaders chose EMIS over Pinnacle because that is the issue here.

A somewhat anecdotal preliminary research indicated Primary Care providers do not like EMIS (eg "It took me 20 minutes to log on this morning....") so why are we using EMIS ?

To save money ? 

It's better for Manx Care admin ?

The person originally ordering it didn't do enough research ? 

What ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Oh, sorry. Did a forum search for 'NHS app' before contributing and ....nothing. Also Hancock only announced it going live to UK patients 3 weeks ago. Anyway.... more importantly, does anyone know why our leaders chose EMIS over Pinnacle because that is the issue here.

A somewhat anecdotal preliminary research indicated Primary Care providers do not like EMIS (eg "It took me 20 minutes to log on this morning....") so why are we using EMIS ?

To save money ? 

What ? 

Isn't Pinnacle an EMIS company anyway?

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

To save money ? 

What ? 

Forum searches don't find words of less than four letters, so that explains why you couldn't find anything.

I think Manx GPs have been using the EMIS Patient Access for some years, so I don't think you can blame Manx Care for that one.

I think Manx GPs have been using the EMIS Patient Access for some years, so I don't think you can blame Manx Care for that one

I obv wasn't blaming Manx Care or their predessors for anything thanks very much Roger. It was just a 'for example' question whether any health admin had a good reason for preferring EMIS. Someone must have preferred it but they seem hard to find now.

Isn't Pinnacle an EMIS company anyway?

There seems to have been some company acquisition in March 2020 but that may well not help explain this. How the UK vax status is recorded is described here

Edited by ballaughbiker
  • Thanks 1

EMIS is kind of like Windows Vista once was, years of accumulated features bolted together under a shiny skin. It has some really strange quirks but it does link things together better than most hospital systems. I think it's been used for so long it makes it harder to migrate. 

• Thanks 1