Improve End of Life Care before Assisted Dying - not before !

Apple

• 5 months later...

Jersey approves principle of legalising assisted dying https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-59391501

Just saw this on the BBC news website. Jersey hope to vote things through for 2023. I’m sure it won’t be long before those on IOMNP Facebook page will be shouting and screaming for the island to copy Jersey. Meanwhile our esteemed politicos and civil servants at the Starship Enterprise will be looking intently on creating Suicide Tourism, our own version of Dignitas. Think of the potential - touch of sarcasm added.

Too serious to joke about or try to score points, but if the UK doesn't introduce their own legislation and we do, I think the IOM would be preferable to many over Switzerland (or wherever).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Too serious to joke about or try to score points, but if the UK doesn't introduce their own legislation and we do, I think the IOM would be preferable to many over Switzerland (or wherever).

Yes  preferable to those living in the UK seeking legalized assisting dying( I assume you meant that?)

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Jersey approves principle of legalising assisted dying https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-59391501

Just saw this on the BBC news website. Jersey hope to vote things through for 2023. I’m sure it won’t be long before those on IOMNP Facebook page will be shouting and screaming for the island to copy Jersey. Meanwhile our esteemed politicos and civil servants at the Starship Enterprise will be looking intently on creating Suicide Tourism, our own version of Dignitas. Think of the potential - touch of sarcasm added.

The question is, what is more human?

Allowing terminally ill people to end their suffering on their terms, or to keep their heart beating as long as possible, whilst much of the rest fades away, often in awful and painful circumstance.

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

be interesting to see what jersey do to get around  the medical profession and the hippocratic oath  and how that sits with medics who are regulated by the BMA , people may eventually have a choice ,but I think its many years off yet ,we have a first class palliative care service  thanks to hospice , 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

be interesting to see what jersey do to get around  the medical profession and the hippocratic oath  and how that sits with medics who are regulated by the BMA , people may eventually have a choice ,but I think its many years off yet ,we have a first class palliative care service  thanks to hospice , 

Medics aren’t regulated by the BMA, it is our trade union. (And has recently moved to a neutral position on assisted dying)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

To be fair I may have read your post all wrong and I think you have chosen your words carefully.

But it's interesting that in potentially introducing a law which would end needless suffering of many of our own people, your motivation appears to be making money from the people who would come here to use it.

I hope Jersey's motivation was more honourable. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

To be fair I may have read your post all wrong and I think you have chosen your words carefully.

But it's interesting that in potentially introducing a law which would end needless suffering of many of our own people, your motivation appears to be making money from the people who would come here to use it.

I hope Jersey's motivation was more honourable. 

Believe me, my motives are completely honourable, having lost both parents to cancer and seeing that palliative care isn't always the best option for EOL patients.

• Like 1

Just now, Stu Peters said:

Believe me, my motives are completely honourable, having lost both parents to cancer and seeing that palliative care isn't always the best option for EOL patients.

I would agree with you there, and for what it's worth I think it is to be applauded that a serving politician posts on here giving and explaining their opinion whatever that opinion is.

As a Manx politician though, I do find it strange that your first thought when weighing up a potential assisted dying law would be with the people of the UK. Not that I would be against them using it and would be delighted if it alleviated suffering there too. 

Perhaps you could explain why this was, and if you'd include the service as part of our reciprocal health agreement? 

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Wouldn't it be about the convenience, less travel for an already sick and dying individual? Also less costs for relatives travelling and repatriation of the dead body thereafter. 

It would, but the UK has many shortcomings regarding health, why do you think we should legislate to address this one specifically?