Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

10 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Is that not the same location that someone reported a load of fly tipping which was actually just land being cleared? I guess that’s just a screen to stop people being nosey buggers?

Probly payback for people who objected to planning application and complained to commissioners and police about hedges ripped out and scrap metal piled on verge. Protection racket stuff.

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yep, but no idea who the candidates are for my ward, let alone their manifesto.

Have any of these candidates had a lateral flow test before going door to door, Just to make sure they are not  spreading Covid, Even some MHK's are going  door to door have they done a LFT. I doubt it. Also have People forgotten it can be spread by touch or is that not the case now, as I am knee deep in pamphlets while waiting the 72hours before picking them up.

• Haha 1

Given that this is the week of the local elections you would expect more coverage.  I've been trying to find out if there are any meetings for voters to assess the candidates.  I make it that there are nine contested areas:

Castletown: 10 candidates for 7 seats.

Douglas North:  4 for 3

Douglas Central: 4 for 3

Douglas East:  5 for 3

Garff Lonan:  4 for 3

Jurby:  9 for 5

Onchan:  8 for 7

Peel:  11 for 7

Santon:  6 for 5

So far I've only found details for Castletown and Onchan.

Castletown is tonight (19 July) at 7pm.  Originally it was going to be be in the Hall but for Covid reasons (and because the Hall is idiotically only licensed for 100) it's being held at a mystery venue:

As you can see from the below image we are all set up to go for the Hustings at 7pm on Monday.

We have however decided that on balance it is inappropriate to hold the hustings in a poorly ventilated hall with the increase in community Covid transmission which has already affected a couple of local businesses.

Castletown is proud to be having a contested local authority election and we feel that the best way to ensure that we can deliver the hustings in an environment that people can make a considered choice about attending will be to move the event outside.

While this is likely to be in the Market Square will provide more information on the exact location on Monday so please come and join us (hopefully in the sunshine) on Monday at 7pm.

Socially distant seating will be provided but camping chairs are welcome.

But probably in the Market Square.  Outdoor hustings sound quite fun in an 18th century way (so very Castletown).  Hopefully it will be like a Hogarth etching with drunks pouring out of the George and the Union, massive bribery and rotten fruit flying everywhere.

• Like 2

Onchan's hustings is a proper Requisition Meeting held tomorrow night:

Captain of the Parish of Onchan, Mr Peter Kelly MBE, is holding a requisition meeting where members of the public may question the candidates for the local authority election of ONCHAN DISTRICT COMMISSIONERS at the ELIM FAMILY CENTRE, SECOND AVENUE, ONCHAN on TUESDAY 20TH JULY at 7.30 PM. Doors open at 7pm.

With Peter Kelly presiding with all his experience and guile and if he's sensible a submachine gun.

(I assume any hustings for Jurby Commissioners will move straight to the gun battle).

Edited by Roger Mexico
Forgot italics for quote
  • Haha 1