Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

But the people of Andreas still walk the streets of Douglas and benefit from its facilities. 

Which they're perfectly happy to do without making a contribution to it. 

Conversely very few Douglas people will be walking the shithole streets of Andreas 

16 minutes ago, Declan said:

But the people of Andreas still walk the streets of Douglas and benefit from its facilities. 

I’m not sure they do you know. When I was out there Ramsey was the big smoke and Douglas an annual day trip abroad 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, english zloty said:

I’m not sure they do you know. When I was out there Ramsey was the big smoke and Douglas an annual day trip abroad 

Yeah but that was before people had cars and buses.

16 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Conversely very few Douglas people will be walking the shithole streets of Andreas 

Exactly.

We're one community. If the people of Andreas want to shirk the responsibilities of that whilst taking the benefits, they're welcome to go it alone and set up the Balliwick of Andreas - an Andrexit if you like. 

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

I think you've got your shithole allocation mixed up?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

It costs the same to empty a bin in Ramsey as it does in Port Erin. 

All island rate needs to be introduced asap

It costs a lot more in fuel, labour and vehicle running expenses for the outlying LAs to cart all their refuse up to the incinerator every day. Considerable expenses when you're talking about HGV.

ETA. My LA encloses a colourful pie chart with the rate demand every year which purports to show where Rates expenditure goes, by percentage. Refuse annually accounts for 22% of that in collection and transportation costs and incinerator gate charges (which is a Central Govt puppy, surprise surprise)

Of course there's always the 31% spent on administration and office expenses too...

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Why would someone that lives somewhere as rurally pleasant as andreas want to walk the streets of douglas? I don't get it.

Maybe they are going to a gig at the Villa. 

The "countryside" is drab, barren and decaying on this island. People surrounded by it need civilization, now and again, and failing that have to make do with Douglas.   

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's worth pointing out that there has actually been a slight increase in enthusiasm for these elections since the last ones in 2016.  There are 136 seats on local authorities up for possible election down from 150 in 2016[1].  But the total number of candidates has gone up by 3 from 138 to 141.  There are also fewer vacancies left after nominations, 13 as opposed to 25 in 2016.

Obviously it varies.  Those who have fewer seats have fewer candidate except for Port Erin which still has six (not enough for either year.  So fewer seats may mean you get less enthusiasm.  On the other hand Jurby has gone from having one candidate for five seats to now having nine.

One interesting change is the number of women standing.  In 2016 they made up only 26% of candidates as far as I can tell.  In 2021 it's risen to 40%.

[1]  Douglas has reduced its number of councillors from 18 to 12 and Arbory and Rushen have merged with a loss of two commissioners each.  Port Erin and Port St Mary have both reduced the number of commissioners from nine to seven.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Apple said:

Is the Isle of Man democratic or do we have a system we call "democracy" , imperfect as it maybe ? 

The UK has been frequently criticised for being a ‘chumocracy’, but in my opinion our political edifice is worse. It is almost expected here that various vested interest groups will be able to exert power and have influence over the IOMG. This compromises our democracy, as far as I am concerned. Somebody on MF was going to vote for their neighbours’ cat; under the current system they might as well, because by and large it makes no difference who the peoples’ representatives are, unless they are within the inner circle of the ‘right’ crowd their impact will be next to nothing.

The PAG has published on their website a diagram that depicts how the current IOMG ‘block voting system’ works. This issue does not directly relate to the current topic, i.e. Local Authority Elections, but the principles are similar – limited public scrutiny, limited accountability. My view is that the IOMG ‘block voting system’ is undemocratic relic from the past, and that it is hugely detrimental to the ‘health’ of our democracy. I will be quizzing the candidates knocking at my door as to what they are going to do about it, if they are elected.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's worth pointing out that there has actually been a slight increase in enthusiasm for these elections since the last ones in 2016.  There are 136 seats on local authorities up for possible election down from 150 in 2016[1].  But the total number of candidates has gone up by 3 from 138 to 141.  There are also fewer vacancies left after nominations, 13 as opposed to 25 in 2016.

Obviously it varies.  Those who have fewer seats have fewer candidate except for Port Erin which still has six (not enough for either year.  So fewer seats may mean you get less enthusiasm.  On the other hand Jurby has gone from having one candidate for five seats to now having nine.

One interesting change is the number of women standing.  In 2016 they made up only 26% of candidates as far as I can tell.  In 2021 it's risen to 40%.

[1]  Douglas has reduced its number of councillors from 18 to 12 and Arbory and Rushen have merged with a loss of two commissioners each.  Port Erin and Port St Mary have both reduced the number of commissioners from nine to seven.

More women in politics is great!

• Like 3