Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I think it goes on the side of it somewhere. That place wasn't ready yet or something so it was removed again for now. 

As you'll soon be on DBC, can you see to it that it never reappears? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Zarley said:

As you'll soon be on DBC, can you see to it that it never reappears? 

And please can you tell us what it cost........

I want a rebate !

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, Rhumsaa said:

[Joughin's] a councillor until 31st July

Oh I know that, but unless the DoI have made special provision for a new 'Annual' meeting after the new Councillors/Commissioners are in place, he will remain as Mayor until next May.  As far as I can tell Chatel is only taking over as Mayor in May 2022.  Which seems ridiculous given that she won't be a Councillor after this July.

And in the meanwhile Joughin continues to get lots of publicity as Mayor as we saw yesterday.

For a full house, the representatives will need to be careful not to split the vote, but the sidecar boys are looking good for a podium.

Good on 'em for taking an interest.

Edited by Barlow

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh I know that, but unless the DoI have made special provision for a new 'Annual' meeting after the new Councillors/Commissioners are in place, he will remain as Mayor until next May.  As far as I can tell Chatel is only taking over as Mayor in May 2022.  Which seems ridiculous given that she won't be a Councillor after this July.

And in the meanwhile Joughin continues to get lots of publicity as Mayor as we saw yesterday.

No, he's mayor until the next AGM in August at which point Chantel takes over until May 22

So he's fulfilling his duties as mayor, are you suggesting when you stand for MHK you should recuse yourself from any activity that might result in press coverage?

2 hours ago, ian rush said:

If ever there was a rotten borough have a look at the Jurby Parish nominees, proposers and seconders in this week's Courier's public notices.

I idly thought a few weeks ago that you potentially stage a coup in the north of the IOM with maybe..... 45 people?

Create the Jurby, Andreas & Bride MegaParish. JAB for short.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:31 PM, Andy Onchan said:

Somehow I doubt most of them knew their names would be on it.

Thanks for clarifying that. If it is actually true that some of them did not know that their names would 'go down for posterity' on the Prom, then how poorly managed is the DBC? Surely this 'oversight' indicates that the leadership of the Douglas Council is keeping their fellow councillors in the dark regarding pretty important decisions? It seems that the place could be even more dysfunctional than some members of the public had feared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, code99 said:

If it is actually true that some of them did not know that their names would 'go down for posterity' on the Prom, then how poorly managed is the DBC?

..and if they all did and approved it......? 

Posterity = overrated. 

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Surely this 'oversight' indicates that the leadership of the Douglas Council is keeping their fellow councillors in the dark regarding pretty important decisions?

But this isn't an important decision. It's a simple one, it's only because they got it wrong that its important. Not having an unveiling plaque wouldn't be commented on, even a tiny one with just the date and Joughin's name wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eye. I bet most councillers never wanted or expected to be listed on that.