Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Surely commissioners set policy which is delivered by the clerk and staff?  That being the case, you would think there would be cost-savings by centralising the administration. 

It never works out like that. It’s called the “photocopy paper fallacy “. Centralising purchasing etc. always costs more. Small LAs have very few employees.

30 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Surely commissioners set policy which is delivered by the clerk and staff?  That being the case, you would think there would be cost-savings by centralising the administration. 

Just approach any commissioner from any area, put to them a suggestion of centralising local social and

sheltered housing. 

It is so funny, it blasphemy.

I do it just for the stuttering and looks I get of sheer contempt.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It depends on what they are doing, what the structure is and the overall cost.  

ETA: Have they really amalgamated or are they sharing resource?  In the latter case, they still have two sets of commissioners to clerk.  Also, an increase in headcount does not necessarily mean an increase in cost.  Other savings to be made by sharing premises, and so on.  

Done properly, it should result in overall savings, and of course the saving increases with more local commissioners sharing the resource.

No they've actually amalgamated and have joint meetings, though the Board will reduce from 10 to 6 at the end of the month.  Accounts don't seem to be consolidated yet, that always takes time.  I don't think either authority had any employee before except the (joint) part-time clerk.  Necessary manual work has usually always been contracted out at the smaller authorities.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, angelo said:

I believe most local commissioners do not receive expenses or salaries. 

It's there if they want it it. Many claim it. 

10 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I suggested as much back in 2010. A ‘Northern Powerhouse’ - Ramsey, Lezayre, Ballaugh, Michael, Jurby, Andreas, Bride, Maughold. All administered from Ramsey, with substantial Keys representation as well. Return functions such as housing and waste management to central government so they could simply concentrate on quality of environment issues 

Moving on from this micro-parochialism would be a big step forward for the reform of politics on the Island. It wouldn’t stop people having a say but it would be a darn sight more efficient. 

I don't think town and country mix

I wouldn't want a Ramsey centric view to cause conflict or bad feelings in the north.

The JAB MegaParish all share similar qualities

19 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I wouldn't want a Ramsey centric view to cause conflict or bad feelings in the north.

While you're here a little bit of weedkiller wouldn't go amiss around the town or is eco bollocks the excuse?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

While you're here a little bit of weedkiller wouldn't go amiss around the town or is eco bollocks the excuse?

no excuse, should be done

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

You’d think so, but the tail usually wags the dog from what I’ve seen. In Government at the national level too!

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

Town and country? It’s four miles up the road, not the Cotswolds and Gloucester. 60 years ago, when the bloke from Ballaugh might venture into Ramsey twice a year, fair enough, but not today. Both complement each other and need synergy

41 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

no excuse, should be done

W

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Town and country? It’s four miles up the road, not the Cotswolds and Gloucester. 60 years ago, when the bloke from Ballaugh might venture into Ramsey twice a year, fair enough, but not today. Both complement each other and need synergy

you've been away too long already

(I am not clamouring for your return btw no offence)

Edited by Rhumsaa
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, finlo said:

There must be time available for it because a number of areas that used to have the grass cut by RTC have not been done for some considerable time, although as you say, it's the trend these days?

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There must be time available for it because a number of areas that used to have the grass cut by RTC have not been done for some considerable time, although as you say, it's the trend these days?

I had to send them a Facebook Messenger to get them done on Grove Mount. And then they’d send some lad with a strimmer and then another to blow it in to the road, and then send the sweeper up, rather than just do it properly once with a rotary mower.

48 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I had to send them a Facebook Messenger to get them done on Grove Mount. And then they’d send some lad with a strimmer and then another to blow it in to the road, and then send the sweeper up, rather than just do it properly once with a rotary mower.

If you had to get them out cos it was too long then it is probable it was too long for a mower too, and likely the strimmer was in fact the correct machine for the job.

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

If you had to get them out cos it was too long then it is probable it was too long for a mower too, and likely the strimmer was in fact the correct machine for the job.

Still a 1 man job though, strim it, stick a mulching mower over it, job done.