Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

25 minutes ago, angelo said:

Jurby canvassing leaflet suggests one candidate who has been on the board for 29 years wants to take Jurby into the 21st century and another candidate wants to get a failed planning application approved. Democracy in action.

Maybe he uses the same leaflet each year. 

On 7/19/2021 at 7:45 PM, TheTeapot said:

Totally the right thing to do holding outside like that, glorious evening. Sadly the parking chat (Castletowns Brexit according to Jamie Horton) was dull as shit, so I left.

Well they're certainly similar in that the more firmly-held views on the subject are, the more likely they are to be nonsense.

You missed a splendid row with those who had retired from the Board at the previous election in 2016 denouncing the actions of their successors and being attacked back in turn.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:52 AM, Roger Mexico said:

Onchan's hustings is a proper Requisition Meeting held tomorrow night:

Captain of the Parish of Onchan, Mr Peter Kelly MBE, is holding a requisition meeting where members of the public may question the candidates for the local authority election of ONCHAN DISTRICT COMMISSIONERS at the ELIM FAMILY CENTRE, SECOND AVENUE, ONCHAN on TUESDAY 20TH JULY at 7.30 PM. Doors open at 7pm.

With Peter Kelly presiding with all his experience and guile and if he's sensible a submachine gun.

(I assume any hustings for Jurby Commissioners will move straight to the gun battle).

Jurby hotting up on the Commissoners FB page. A long serving Board member and candidate wanting the cycle races stopped tomorrow or the elections called off. Says he's petitioning the Governor. He won't be able to get down the pub. Democracy and stuff. Cyclists outraged.

14 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes. Angela is his wife. Which is why they’re delivering them in threes. As one would show favoritism.

So they are delivering their manifesto in bulk for each other, are they even talking to the voters?    Sounds like they would all fit into public service, pushing paper around for each other.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, english zloty said:

Devon is having kittens in FB land. Poor lad still doesn't get the fact the wider public don't give a shit. Great excuse for the poor turnout though

After decades of being publicly somewhat surly and taciturn, Angela must now be on the same happy pills as Jonno uses. Or maybe it is just that she also wants our vote.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

To be fair to Jon he’s probably also mentioning to every household that he’s also standing for MHK in Douglas East and is there anything they’d like to discuss. Four birds. One stone. 

It's a legitimate tactic. "If you support me for MHK - these are the people I think will be best in council". It's quite common in student politics that the SU President candidates will stand and say "if your voting for me - this is the team I can work with on the Executive Committee." Because the average student might take the time to decide who he is going to want as President but isn't going to waste time on evaluating all the candidates for Sports Officer.

You'd kind of hope this wouldn't be necessary at Douglas Council level, but It's only what MLP are doing - Maltby for MHK, Watson and Hamer for DBC. Effectively, Joughin has formed a temporary party.