Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

Here's the result of last night's by-election for the three vacant places on the Ramsey Commissioners:

No photo description available.

Parker stood at the General Election and came fourth (664), so the visibility from that must have helped him.  Craine is Deputy Leader of the Green Party, which may have helped her and shows that like the MLP, political parties can pick up local government seats.  The gap between these two and the rest is reminiscent of the differences we saw in the general election results in many constituencies (or indeed n Ramsey between the reelected MHKs and the rest).

The other results are mainly proof of the enduring notion that if you stand there will usually be 150 of your mates and relations who will vote for you.  Less than 50 votes separate the next six.  Beighton may well have got in on alphabetical order.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Followed by a rather spiteful attack on the green party by Mr Josem 

FAF26913-CF0A-482E-9C56-B16A03892A0F.jpeg

It's not unusual for public servants to speak at Party Conferences in their professional role, providing they do so to inform those present rather than propagandise for the Party.  And they are usually able to participate as individual members in any case.  

As far as I can see from the rather pompous piece on the Manx Taxpayers' Alliance website, the only evidence supplied is Craine's Facebook post, which doesn't even refer to her candidature and says:

Dr Henrietta Ewart, Director of Public Health, gave a fantastic talk on the value of well-being. A topic which is very poignant and close to my heart. Well-being is so much more than just being happy and healthy. It’s a complex subject and Henrietta covered it so brilliantly in these two videos https://fb.watch/9p8Blk3uqw/ and https://fb.watch/9p8Hzj0eL-/. I highly recommend a watch! 🎥

Which seems the sort of neutral topic you would expect.  Unless Josem is suggesting that Liberal Vannin is against well-being (except for mysterious benefactors).

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Parker stood at the General Election and came fourth (664), so the visibility from that must have helped him. 

He was a fairly popular Ramsey Commissioner since around 2016, but stepped down to enter the GE. Probably got back in because he was known and didn't do a bad job last time round.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

He was a fairly popular Ramsey Commissioner since around 2016, but stepped down to enter the GE. Probably got back in because he was known and didn't do a bad job last time round.

This is true.  He did a decent job.

He is also a bible basher who is anti abortion and anti people choosing to end their own lives even when they are in pain and living miserable meaningless lives though which is “interesting”

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Followed by a rather spiteful attack on the green party by Mr Josem 

Say the Treasury Minister gave a talk at the Manx Museum sponsored by KPMG whose corporate logo adorned the lectern would that raise concerns? I appreciate that KPMG is not a political party but they are in the business of promoting themselves.

So on balance I would say, with some reservation that the MTA was being spiteful.

I don’t see why they deemed it fit to mention it.

• Like 2

Lamara mentioned on Facebook that the vote whether to support the Marina has already taken place and placed on record there were two for and the rest against,apparently.    Why is this project still being termed Ramsey Marina ?    It should be Housing estate being planned and if we have enough money going spare from the sale of the houses we will build a Marina 😙 because that is the truth of the matter.   I may be a cynic but the chances of there being sufficient money in the pot to build the Marina is zilch.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 9:00 PM, Ramseyboi said:

This is true.  He did a decent job.

He is also a bible basher

He's not, he's a Christian and I've never once heard him talk about that unless someone has asked.