Local Authority Elections

Amadeus

19 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

the man in a pub or a football stand 

Who pays their wages. Wears their names on the back of his shirt. Chants their names. Who cheers them on, even when they're not playing well. Whose applause they milk when things go well - their opinion's not worthless when things go well. 

Edited by Declan

27 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

But at least they were talented enough and brave enough to put themselves in the position where they were open to the abuse dished out themselves.

In my humble opinion that makes their views much more valid than those of a man in a pub or a football stand who has never even had a sports article published or been paid to kick a ball.

As far as criticising people from the stands I think it is a good example of the same behaviours being displayed here.  Loads of people knocking those who are standing or who have stood in the past, who wouldn’t actually want to take the associated flak and responsibility themselves.

Neither would I, so I don’t personally criticise individuals.  I may disagree with particular opinions or decisions but that is different to just knocking a person full stop.

Except footballers don't make decisions that affect everyone's lives.  Politicians must be subject to scrutiny, the job they do is far too important to treat them like keen but inept schoolchildren. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, english zloty said:

https://iomelections.com/local2021/

This looks good. Seems a number were uncontested and some not enough to fill the seats eg. Port St Mary.

And some (one so far I think)  filled by people who have since declared for keys - so possible seats to need filing again in September.

16 hours ago, Declan said:

Democracy is an imperfect tool, but the best we've got. There's a few tweaks to the current system that could be made - CM directly elected, lower numbers in Local Authorities so people aren't elected unchallenged. A party system would help a little by acting as a filter for some of the worse elements - but not all.

Reduce number of l.a.s by amalgamation, improve significantly lay scrutiny, similarly in Tynwald, develop systems to encourage, monitor, scrutinise and action complaints etc, develop legal process for recall, etc Call out "influence" and dubious decisions, political / business / personal interests, relationships in transparent and open way.

Stop sweeping things under carpets - It benefits no-one except wrong doers and those who protect them.  The notion now of whether "things are disclosed in the public's best interest" should be done away with completely. Again another form of arrogance practiced by a select few (that believes they have a God given right) that determines for the public what they should and should not know.....in their own interest.

@Declan Is the Isle of Man democratic or do we have a system we call "democracy" , imperfect as it maybe ? 

• Like 5

Once again lots of walk-ins  shows to me that people just lack trust or have any interest knowing things just won’t change in local politics it really does need change. One example and Somewhat ironic that some at PSM wanted to reduce the board numbers to 5 winning the democratic vote to only be overturned by D.O.I who caved in after the losing members didnt like it, compromising to 7 from 9 . Now we have the situation of just walking in to a seat and trying again to encourage names to come forward but with PSM past history I think you’d be a mug to sign up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Once again lots of walk-ins  shows to me that people just lack trust or have any interest knowing things just won’t change in local politics it really does need change. One example and Somewhat ironic that some at PSM wanted to reduce the board numbers to 5 winning the democratic vote to only be overturned by D.O.I who caved in after the losing members didnt like it, compromising to 7 from 9 . Now we have the situation of just walking in to a seat and trying again to encourage names to come forward but with PSM past history I think you’d be a mug to sign up.

Ballaugh has 2 for 5 seats. Madness 

Too many seats - too many councils

Look at the South - 

2 Rushen MHKS 

2/3rds of an MHK representing Arbory's share of Moorehouse and Cregeen.

Arbory & Rushen = 6 commissioners

Port Erin = 7 Commissioners

PSM = 7 Commissioners

Plus a 12.33th share in legco and the President =  73% of an MLC

That's 23.39 politicians for 8784 people (and that includes kids). So removing under 16's that's about one in 311 people just to fill every gap.  You'd need a minimum of 6 more people just to make all those votes contested - so about one in 250 adults have to want to stand. 

(actually slightly less because 16-18 year olds can't  stand and other residents will be barred for other reasons)

Edited by Declan

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

To be fair a lot of rural parish councils tend to be uncontested and if they have too many candidates it's not unknown for some to withdraw to avoid to cost of an election.  Famously Onchan Parish Commissioners (before they merged with the village) never had a contested election in the 99 years of its existence.  I'll try to crunch some figures to see if things have changed recently.