Don't Forget The Suncream!

Addie

From iomonline

MHKS' FIJI TRIP 'NO JUNKET'

TWO Tynwald members are to go on a fact-finding mission to Fiji paid out of the public purse but they insist: 'It's no junket.'

Rushen members Phil Gawne and Quintin Gill had booked their flights for the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association's 51st plenary conference in Nadi on the coral coast of the Fijian island of Viti Levu ... Fiji conference delegate Mr Gill insisted: 'It is not a junket. There is certainly work to be done. It's about representing the Isle of Man and I will apply myself whole-heartedly.'...

Only curious, but what facts are we seeking exactly?

I wondered if the heavy handed mods would butt in - for your information all the Islands MHKs have their phone numbers published in the phone book - on page 34.

Deleting public information now? Attempting to stop people from calling their own MHKs?

How long will this post last I wonder.

Quit yer bitchin the pair of you!

I'm well aware that you can find an MHK's number if you want to. I don't personally agree with it being plastered over the internet for any pleb to come in drunk and decided to have some fun after logging onto the forum and reading your post.

Besides, we had complaints about it and so the decision was taken to remove the posts.

Don't like it? You know the rountine by now.

:)

Here's a helpful link for all you people (are we still allowed to link?):

MHK Phone Numbers

Oh look! Their numbers are on the internet already!

:)

Seriously, I suggested someone should ring their local representative to put some valid questions to them, provided the number and all was deleted.

Not simply the phone numbers, but my suggestion too.

Sorry, but that's censorship, plain & simple. And with no valid reason whatsoever.

People should be encouraged to ring their MHKs. They are our politicians and as such answerable to us - they know this when they stand, they also know their numbers will be in the public domain.

That's part & parcel of our political system - but you mods know better huh? :rolleyes:

I think there's a balance to be struck here.

Yes, politicians are answerable to their constituents, and yes the system here that encourages direct feedback and contact is a positive one.

On the other hand, politicians are entitled to a private life, and not to spend every evening and weekend fielding calls.

I was an elected politician in the UK (and will probably stand for the Keys here eventually), and in fairness my constituents were very responsible with their use of my home number.

Politicians are normal people too - and sometimes just want to switch off, unwind and watch some mindless pap on the TV!

What the f*ck has this got to do with the man on the street, you know the guy who votes them in and pays there wage.

Good to see bill henders has finally washed his brown nose, another lose cannon i hope there.

The whole thing of these trips or jollies as i like to call them is to top up the tan.

Complete waste of tax payers money, i think such trips are a joke will not be long till dowie will be wanting to go to cannes and the boat show.

What goes around comes around, i think they have a waiting list in the government for these trips they all seem to go on them, phil gawne has gone down in my eyes since he became a minister(they like to give the mouthers a role in government to keep them quiet).

What a sad bunch they must be, if i was a MHK the only place i would be traveling to is the keys, not a 2 week holiday on the otherside of the planet.

From iomonline

MHKS' FIJI TRIP 'NO JUNKET'

TWO Tynwald members are to go on a fact-finding mission to Fiji paid out of the public purse but they insist: 'It's no junket.'

Rushen members Phil Gawne and Quintin Gill had booked their flights for the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association's 51st plenary conference in Nadi on the coral coast of the Fijian island of Viti Levu ... Fiji conference delegate Mr Gill insisted: 'It is not a junket. There is certainly work to be done. It's about representing the Isle of Man and I will apply myself whole-heartedly.'...

Only curious, but what facts are we seeking exactly?

The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association is a good opportunity for the Isle of Man to benchmark its activities against others in the British sphere of influence, to lobby for support on any issues of the day and to generally wave the flag.

It is one of the few events which, in my humble opinion, the IOM would do well to attend. ...others include the annual womens day.

You can get some information about the organisation here ..CPA

Archived