Role of El Presidente, Tynpotwald - The Election 2021

6 minutes ago, 2112 said:

my guess is he will sit on the sidelines embittered and snipe away. 

That would be no bad thing for Manx politics. Somewhere within Tynwald there needs to be counter views and unattached observance.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2021 at 9:31 PM, Apple said:

Long term though, how about in 5 years time Ashford as President and David Christian as the Speaker. I think DA holds DC in some high esteem.

If DC is elected to Keys, DA will - metaphorically speaking - be throwing orgasms.

He's losing his huge ally Howard and desperately needs a replacement.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

So they can get away with more of their bullshit no doubt. 

I couldn’t see Watterson standing for members throwing crayons at Peter Karran in the House. Skelly? He probably wouldn’t notice. 

Tynwald Balls was started to take the piss out of Karran.

• Like 1

Watterson always seems to have gone for the easy way out as long as he still got extra money, Home affairs, the easiest dept (look at current incumbent), Speaker, then trying to be president( gravy train and regalia for another 20 years).

Lets see how he performs at a difficult department or even as CM first.

This is not an endorsement of the other candidate by the way. Down south seems to excel at electing clowns.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Tynwald Balls was started to take the piss out of Karran.

Yep. The smart arses of House of Keys/Tynwald, many of who in their wildest dreams couldn't reach the size of the public mandate that was consistently awarded to Peter Karran, saw it as a way of hitting back.

It was bullying.

This was beautifully portrayed in the inadvertently publicly broadcast conversation amongst members of the Legislative Council* when Manx Radio left the microphones on during a Tynwald adjournment.

ETA:

* and the House of Keys too. That was when Phil Gawne was demeaning towards members of the public over the Promenade proposals and his perceived interference by them. But that is another story.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The next question is - is Spuan Juan standing in Rushen again? There must be a load of candidates lined up? If he gets reelected will he stand for again for Mr Squeaker, or my guess is he will sit on the sidelines embittered and snipe away. Perhaps im wrong? Perhaps he will stand to be Chief Minister, but based on today’s vote, maybe not, but in Manx Politics who knows! Let’s face it Rob Callister could be the next Chief Minister?

I hope he does stand again but I don't think he will be quiet on the sidelines. 

In fact, I think the outcome of this vote leaves him in a better place and given the politics of the moment was probably planned between them. (Skelly and Watterson).

Skelly wasn't happy after Vision ( and the 6 banks episodes) and Robertshaw's dressing down in Tynwald. I don't blame him. But I think JW will make good use of Skelly now and hopefully still push for reforms that are clearly needed.

23 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Watterson always seems to have gone for the easy way out as long as he still got extra money, Home affairs, the easiest dept (look at current incumbent), Speaker, then trying to be president( gravy train and regalia for another 20 years).

This is not an endorsement of the other candidate by the way. Down south seems to excel at electing clowns.

Latterly, he's (Watterson) rocked too many boats in Tynwald, by being vocally critical of Govt and policy in quite a few matters including Covid handling. In short, he's seen as a danger by more than a few members of the club (a danger to them and the club, that is), now and going forward.

Skelly is the safe option, with at least an equal record to most of the rest in bumbling, cock-ups and trying to bullshit his way out. He has no other attributes and his record in office speaks for itself in that respect. Watterson's too smart to be the safe bet and an outspoken outlier. Unsafe.

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The next question is - is Spuan Juan standing in Rushen again? There must be a load of candidates lined up? If he gets reelected will he stand for again for Mr Squeaker, or my guess is he will sit on the sidelines embittered and snipe away. Perhaps im wrong? Perhaps he will stand to be Chief Minister, but based on today’s vote, maybe not, but in Manx Politics who knows! Let’s face it Rob Callister could be the next Chief Minister?

there is every chance after the general  election in September ,old scores will be settled and with a number of new members elected , Juan might not be re elected as Speaker , he has not done himself any favours in this session , he is a bright boy  but basically does not want to work in departments and always looking for the popularist option , 

All will be revealed in September ,  cant believe Skelly had 20 votes !!!!!

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Latterly, he's (Watterson) rocked too many boats in Tynwald, by being vocally critical of Govt and policy in quite a few matters including Covid handling. In short, he's seen as a danger by more than a few members of the club (a danger to them and the club, that is), now and going forward.

Skelly is the safe option, with at least an equal record to most of the rest in bumbling, cock-ups and trying to bullshit his way out. He has no other attributes and his record in office speaks for itself in that respect. Watterson's too smart to be the safe bet and an outspoken outlier. Unsafe.

You're looking into this too much. The position of President is like that of head boy. The name sounds good but the position actually carries very little weight. 

46 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Was there a "none of the above" option?

Technically yes - you can abstain or spoil your paper and a couple did last time when it was a secret vote.  I think the winner needs to get a majority of those present and voting, so it's possible to stop it that way.  This was the tactic Brown used to make himself Chief Minister, even though he had just been re-elected Speaker - get a handful of people to spoil papers and no one gets to the required total.

However it won't be a secret vote this time and politicians tend to be cautious about being seen to play such games.  There were 32 votes cast this time, so at most only one person didn't vote (which may have been the temporary President).

It's quite possible that some of those who voted for Skelly may have done so to keep Watterson in action so to speak.  One of the things I keep pointing out is the sheer inexperience of the Keys.  Of the three members who have been there ten years or more, Robertshaw is retiring and Cregeen is Cregeen.  Of the three remaining elected in 2011 Skelly and Quayle are retiring and Cannan is going to at least try for Chief Minister.  So candidates for Speaker with any experience would be few. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Sadly you are correct I voted for Coco and his mate last time but thats all we have on the paper, mind you next time could be better we still have clowns but a complete loony as well ! Ho Hum.

Well that’s the first part of Wattys  easy path to buggar all land gone pear shaped, also I hope he doesn’t get re elected as speaker, when he’s re elected which at present looking at the field is a given, let’s hope he puts away the fancy dress clothing knuckles down and becomes a real politician asking awkward questions seeking real answers or he takes a department ie Doi or Health ,Treasury, which being one of the old guard with his experience is a must or it’s another cop out. ( and stop the over use of the word ,,,,,,,committee,,,,,,, just get the job done.

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1