Role of El Presidente, Tynpotwald - The Election 2021

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

To the tune of £1250+ a week, plus expenses of course - A week.

For a role that didn't even exist until a few years ago and was created to essentially keep somebody quiet. I wonder if anybody could catalogue precisely what benefits to the IoM the position has brought? (That's benefits to the Island, not the postholders).

Tynwald knows how to look after itself all right. "Not in this together".

Correct. Just to top it off, having been appointed by his peers in Tyneside to a role that is entirely unnecessary but pays a salary beyond what most hard-working residents could aspire to; having achieved very little of note during his time in office as an MHK; being mostly known for spouting empty and cliche-ridden BS, he claims that his aim, whilst President, is to maintain the integrity of Tynwald. I am despairingly amazed that the public don’t react to all this by demanding political change. It seems our political class benefit hugely from the apathy that they are responsible for generating. Tynwald might be the oldest continual Parliament, but it is also the most worn-out and irrelevant. The Island could do so much better than this. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joebean said:

Correct. Just to top it off, having been appointed by his peers in Tyneside to a role that is entirely unnecessary but pays a salary beyond what most hard-working residents could aspire to; having achieved very little of note during his time in office as an MHK; being mostly known for spouting empty and cliche-ridden BS, he claims that his aim, whilst President, is to maintain the integrity of Tynwald. I am despairingly amazed that the public don’t react to all this by demanding political change. It seems our political class benefit hugely from the apathy that they are responsible for generating. Tynwald might be the oldest continual Parliament, but it is also the most worn-out and irrelevant. The Island could do so much better than this. 

Nothing so starkly illustrates the irrelevance and hopelessness of Tynwald as the complete no-mark now occupying the Presidency. A colourless, talentless, two dimensional tat salesman, for the equivalent ‘national’ assembly. Just awful.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 747-400 said:

Whatever happened to the Leverson recommendations 🤔

Recruiting an Auditor General was all I remember. 

The ‘Leveson Enquiry’ was conducted in relation to infamous phone hacking scandal in the UK. I suspect that gave the UK Gov the idea for a Covid Track and Trace application.

The Lord Lisvane’s Review (un-shredded) of the functioning of Tynwald was a resounding success.🤣

Edited by code99
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, code99 said:

The ‘Leveson Enquiry’ was conducted in relation to infamous phone hacking scandal in the UK. I suspect that gave the UK Gov the idea for a Covid Track and Trace application.

The Lord Lisvane’s Review (un-shredded) of the functioning of Tynwald was a resounding success.🤣

Ha ha, thanks for the polite correction! I couldn’t remember then this Lord’s name popped into my mind 🤭

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, joebean said:

Lord Lisvane’s report was taken by Tynwald and carefully formed into a ball before being kicked far into the long grass. 

They did adapt some of it - the bits they liked and which wouldn't be detrimental to the gilded trough.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Does anyone remember the Sunday morning Covid press briefing that Skelly did last summer?

It was like he was tripping off his tits on something - rambling on about sitting on a bench and talking to a ghost. It was incredible stuff. 

Aye.... unforgettable. Well, nearly.

On 8/9/2021 at 7:19 PM, 747-400 said:

Whatever happened to the Leverson recommendations 🤔

Recruiting an Auditor General was all I remember. 

They tried but did not find a suitable candidate, or a candidate that found the job was suitable.  Shame.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Nobody pliable enough?

Agreed. Even in the private sector companies do not want to appoint an Auditor who will look too deeply into the affairs of the company. All professional Auditors understand this quandary and often struggle with the choice of pleasing their client or doing their job with the utmost integrity.

I think we all understand that politics is a slippery business. The people in power might say they want to appoint a credible and competent Auditor General, but as much as they are saying this, simultaneously they will also be fearing that if the person they appoint is too enthusiastic, then that person might turn out to be annoying pain in the proverbial, because they will write reports, ignore ‘all of the good things that the government is doing…’ and (publicly) highlight all of the things that are going wrong.

When it comes to governments, and the IOMG is no exception, managing one’s image is at least as important as doing ones’ job. This is an unfortunate reality of where we are now, but things could be different if we had different people running the IOMG.

Edited by code99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1