Role of El Presidente, Tynpotwald - The Election 2021

42 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I agree totally , he's far outreached his capabilities months ago. He's been found out far to many times in recent months.

They always get found out in the end.

ETA usually after the damage is done.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 2

On 7/15/2021 at 6:28 PM, NoTailT said:

Makes Juan perfect. I'm told he's not in favour though with members because he also wants to study for a law degree part time.

After thinking charging paracetamol to the taxpayer is acceptable how can any sane person think he is an acceptable candidate?.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If JW gets it then I think major reform is definitely on the way. More public accountability for everyone. Maybe limited terms ?

Long term though, how about in 5 years time Ashford as President and David Christian as the Speaker. I think DA holds DC in some high esteem.

Is that the grand plan ?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Apple said:

If JW gets it then I think major reform is definitely on the way. More public accountability for everyone. Maybe limited terms ?

Long term though, how about in 5 years time Ashford as President and David Christian as the Speaker. I think DA holds DC in some high esteem.

Is that the grand plan ?

Major reform may not be wanted. Skelly will be idle, lazy and shocking. So he'll probably get it.

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2021 at 4:13 PM, Boris Johnson said:

The whole lot of them need emptying, the last 18 months has shown that they are incapable of governing anything, let a lone a "country"

You seem to be in a minority.

Like it or not every voxpop shows the majority seem appreciative of the way the whole lot of them have governed over the last eighteen months ( and before).

They have shown they are capable of governing. Not perfect, I’ll grant you but what Government ever is?

Very easy to criticize from the sidelines

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You seem to be in a minority.

Like it or not every voxpop shows the majority seem appreciative of the way the whole lot of them have governed over the last eighteen months ( and before).

They have shown they are capable of governing. Not perfect, I’ll grant you but what Government ever is?

Very easy to criticize from the sidelines

Vox pop is one thing, the privacy of the voting booth/ballot box will prove a more reliable verdict.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1

Juan will be a laugh if he is appointed President but only because he loves the fancy dress and looks quite foolish wearing it. If Skelly becomes President it will be the most persuasive evidence yet that the role is a pointless waste of time. 

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Good evening Juan.

Ha ha. I really don’t know the guy and am in two minds. He clearly is passionate about the mechanisms of Tynwald and the whole networking and education within the CPA. And for that reason maybe he could drive positive change. 

On the other hand, his experience could be far better used serving the Island as a parliamentarian?

9 hours ago, 747-400 said:

Ha ha. I really don’t know the guy and am in two minds. He clearly is passionate about the mechanisms of Tynwald and the whole networking and education within the CPA. And for that reason maybe he could drive positive change. 

On the other hand, his experience could be far better used serving the Island as a parliamentarian?

Let's not forget what his experience actually is. He has sat in Tynwald for a few years and during that time he has been Minister for Home Affairs. This is such a light role that Graham Cregeen can be placed in it. JW has sidestepped any role that involves real responsibility and is more concerned with ceremony and process than doing anything tangible to serve the Island. Ceremony and process may have its place but he has hardly earned his spurs in politics. He is, essentially, a lightweight. 

• Like 5

On 7/15/2021 at 9:35 PM, 2112 said:

Crikey, is he planning on becoming AG once he has finished his term as El Presidente? 

Hardly, a law degree only gets you part way to being legally qualified.  I don't think it is a bad thing at all, providing the relevant legal subjects are covered - constitytional and administrative law, perhaps international law, human rights, jurisprudence and so on.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, finlo said:

Well we all know the majority of the populace are naive gullible and dare I say a little bit thick!

....that may be so but the Manx minority should be able to hold their own surely ?

I trust them.