Role of El Presidente, Tynpotwald - The Election 2021

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Given - I'm told by a member of the house that was canvassing on my doorstep - that Mr Skelly has just recently been accused of breaching Tynwald Member Standards, which is also being reviewed as a breach of CoMin Code by Cabinet/ChiefMin... I'm a little surprised by his appointment. Should be an interesting few months ahead for him. Shortest term Presidente ever?

In Manx Politics to breach anything is a feather in the cap certainly no detriment to the career

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buncha wankas said:

Nominal, as CM is exiting stage in a few months

You are right of course. The DfE should be a dynamic agency delivering good results for the economy and people of the Isle of Man. Replacing one empty vessel at the political helm with another is not going to make matters any worse.

8 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I'd put moorhouse top 5 in my all time favourite manx politicians even before this. I'd say top 4 now. 

Have you ever seen him trying to order a pint in the pub? That's a priceless Top 3-esque experience.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Does Skelly still have to secure a seat in the September election to retain his presidency fancy dress outfits? Asking for a friend.

No. President of Tynwald comes with a seat on LegCo and office as presiding officer of LegCo.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Skelly's going to look like a right plonker in the fancy dress; like a character out of Gilbert and Sullivan. At least Rodan had the size and figure to carry it off.

I suspect they resize the outfit given that Claire Christian was about 5ft.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Nominal, as CM is exiting stage in a few months

Mr Skelly is home and dry now  until the next election for President , 5 years from now, nice job traveling the world CPA presiding officers meetings  and conferences , no doubt he will renew  his relationship with the world Manx society , and if he licks enough boots a Gong will be coming his way as an added bonus ,  for all he has done for us on our behalf !and at our great expense ,

• Sad 1