Tram accident

ellanvannin2010

46 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Prize for the best caption contest. Get to it everyone.

What do you mean Baker moved at the last second?!?!!!

Oops. I was captioning the trebuche video in the prom thread. Must have more coffee. 

Edited by Zarley
  • Haha 1

Hopefully H&S at Work and/or the police have seized the handset they use for tickets. The built in GPS should have the speed recorded at the time of the incident. 

With their history on Snaefell and other incidents this needs to be fully investigated. 

Personally I think it's a miracle these lot haven't killed anyone playing trains.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The track must expanded a little too much in the heat, good job they only go slowly.

Possible of course although in the time I was involved with the railway it was not a spot noted for heat causing issues.

It is dead straight for nearly a mile before the crash site so you should have a good view of visible track defects in advance

5 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Possible of course although in the time I was involved with the railway it was not a spot noted for heat causing issues.

It is dead straight for nearly a mile before the crash site so you should have a good view of visible track defects in advance

If it was indeed Longworth driving the tram (as said in the original post) then I submit the track defect was in the driver's seat.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The added fun and games will be trying to recover the tram back onto the tracks, that’s assuming it’s not the tram that’s developed a fault and that no further damage has been caused, bit of a logistical nightmare as no easy access due to the overhead lines.

10 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The added fun and games will be trying to recover the tram back onto the tracks, that’s assuming it’s not the tram that’s developed a fault and that no further damage has been caused, bit of a logistical nightmare as no easy access due to the overhead lines.

They can switch the power off and remove lines quite quickly. Not sure what they’ve done to remove tram, or put back on tracks, but service has now resumed Laxey/Ramsey/Laxey.

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

That’s quite an impressive turnaround. 

Do you think its now safe ?

The mountain railway is a multi fatality accident waiting to happen, the Ramsey/ Douglas line not much better by the look of this. 

Imagine if that ditch it ended up in had been a bit deeper or wider? Or the way it fell after de-railing, it fell toward a cliff, of which here are many on that route.....

Luck should not be at the forefront of health and safety on a train system, heritage or not is should still be safe.

You do not need 100mph speed to have a huge train/ tram accident, I think DOI and that lot at MER think differently.

There should at least be a full independent investigation into this and it should be undertaken in public, i.e. fully published. The chances of that on this island are zero

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1