Tram accident

ellanvannin2010

6 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Prize for the best caption contest. Get to it everyone.

We've all suspected that IL has been off the rails for a long time...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I think you would be hard pushed to find a tram and rail network with a safety record as good as the Isle of Man.

Even modern trams sometimes jump the rails and derail or have incidents with other vehicles. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/metrolink-services-temporarily-halted-ashton-20539209

If you take the number of passenger miles and the number of rolling stock units/miles into account the IOM tram & rail network will be at, or near, the top of the list for worst safety record in the world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If you take the number of passenger miles and the number of rolling stock units/miles into account the IOM tram & rail network will be at, or near, the top of the list for worst safety record in the world.

It's only down to pure luck that nobody has been killed. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

It's only down to pure luck that nobody has been killed. 

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

How many times have we said that.

Which suggests that it is not pure luck and that the safety measures are effective. 

Sure, it would be better not to have derailments and runaways but you cannot eliminate every hazard and risk.

38 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Which suggests that it is not pure luck and that the safety measures are effective. 

Sure, it would be better not to have derailments and runaways but you cannot eliminate every hazard and risk.

That is true, but do the drivers have to meet any competence standards and if it was IL who was driving, has he?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=47456&headline=Runaway tram travelled 1.4km and reached 44mph&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

44mph 

1.4km

That's pure luck that no one was injured or killed. Nothing else 

Edited by snowman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

It suggests that they have been extremely lucky. 

I'm sure the maintenance records and daily checks for the tram in question will be forthcoming and available to the public. 

I hear at least one person went to hospital due to this incident.

There's virtually zero scrutiny.

Edited by AlanShimmin

19 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

It suggests that they have been extremely lucky. 

I'm sure the maintenance records and daily checks for the tram in question will be forthcoming and available to the public. 

I hear at least one person went to hospital due to this incident.

There's virtually zero scrutiny.

I heard it was Mrs Longworth with a broken shoulder. Allegedly she was stood next to him when he went off the rails. 

11 hours ago, Zarley said:

I heard it was Mrs Longworth with a broken shoulder. Allegedly she was stood next to him when he went off the rails. 

I’m sure the official report will say she was seated along with the rest of the passengers.

• Like 1