Tram accident

ellanvannin2010

14 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I'm not pretending anything.  Most heritage railways don't operate to the sort of timetables that ours do.  

The Manx railways are somewhere in between and you know as well as I do that the Government have promoted them as public transport. 

It's a toy train set and only runs as often as it does because of the huge amounts of cash that are thrown at it. It's one giant job creation scheme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I'm not pretending anything.  Most heritage railways don't operate to the sort of timetables that ours do.  

The Manx railways are somewhere in between and you know as well as I do that the Government have promoted them as public transport. 

Under David Howard they were part of the public transport system with fully interchangeable tickets, regular traditional style timetables.

Under Ian Longworth they are heritage railways with much higher fares, non interchangeable tickets,  colour coded timetables that vary daily and dining trains, world at war and other theme park style events. All copied from various heritage railways.

39 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Sure, but the Manx Railway and Trams aren't really run as a heritage railway are they?

Well only in so far as most heritage railways are run by amateurs, while ours are run by highly paid 'professionals'.  And yet...

It's worth saying that this refusal to accept any outside monitoring or assessment isn't just limited to the Railways or the DoI - you get it in Health, Social Services, Education and so on.  The first rule of the Manx civil service is that only you can mark your own homework.  Again this is a fairly recent thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kipper99 said:

Smart money says

1. the tram shed a tyre, which had split. That caused it to leave the rails. Begs question how long the tyre had been on and when it had last been inspected.

2. Mrs L actually got thrown out into the hedge.

I remember someone on here telling me that they didn’t need a separate metal tyre due to the low wear they get. 

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Is it covered ? Arent they self insured by government ? 

They have a policy for public liability and personal injury ( not sure about whether it covers damage to MER rolling stock ) and the cover level is very high. However the self insured excess is also high.

57 minutes ago, kevster said:

I remember someone on here telling me that they didn’t need a separate metal tyre due to the low wear they get. 

Some do have most do not. On MER if it has spoked wheels then it has tyres generally.

This is the Ramsey end truck of 16 during overhaul back in the 2000's

P5210025.JPG

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They have a policy for public liability and personal injury ( not sure about whether it covers damage to MER rolling stock ) and the cover level is very high. However the self insured excess is also high.

Public liability and personal injury insurance is unlikely to cover damage to own property unless it is wrapped up in an all risks policy, but that's not likely. It is all about liability to third parties and the cover levels you describe is commonly known as "catastrophe insurance".  They may have other insurance that does cover property.  

So, possibly unlikely that they will claim for any personal injury.  It would be interesting how a claim would be treated if IL was driving, who allowed him (himself presumably) and at what point does it become a frolic of his own rather than a liability of the department?

Again, I ask do you need to have some kind of certification of competence to drive the trains and if he was driving, did he have it? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Public liability and personal injury insurance is unlikely to cover damage to own property unless it is wrapped up in an all risks policy, but that's not likely. It is all about liability to third parties and the cover levels you describe is commonly known as "catastrophe insurance".  They may have other insurance that does cover property.  

So, possibly unlikely that they will claim for any personal injury.  It would be interesting how a claim would be treated if IL was driving, who allowed him (himself presumably) and at what point does it become a frolic of his own rather than a liability of the department?

Again, I ask do you need to have some kind of certification of competence to drive the trains and if he was driving, did he have it? 

You do have to pass a test, I could bore you with what the training used to involve but I have no idea what it is like under the current regime. Ijl will have some qualification I am sure.

13 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

You do have to pass a test, I could bore you with what the training used to involve but I have no idea what it is like under the current regime. Ijl will have some qualification I am sure.

Let's hope so.