(The infamous housing crisis) Public Sector Housing - WHAT IS GOING ON?

Hugh G Rection

10 minutes ago, english zloty said:

The general rule of thumb is that no more than 30% of net income should go on housing (rent and rates) costs. I think the recommendations report stated 35% which is probably reasonable. 

I was pointing out that the Rent & Rate Tribunal/Commissioners have no power to deal with property owned by central or local government.

9 minutes ago, english zloty said:

There is no social housing here. It is public sector because it is provided entirely by government using public money. Social housing is provided by not for profit housing associations operating under regulation that does not yet exist here. Though strangely with law to enable their formation. 

No, public housing is social housing in its strictest sense. 

Social housing is defined as housing provided for people on low incomes or with particular needs by government agencies or non-profit organizations.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, public housing is social housing in its strictest sense. 

Social housing is defined as housing provided for people on low incomes or with particular needs by government agencies or non-profit organizations.

Sorry it isn't in the strictest sense but we won't fallout over the semantics. 

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I was pointing out that the Rent & Rate Tribunal/Commissioners have no power to deal with property owned by central or local government

Correct appeals would be to the local government unit.

2 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Correct appeals would be to the local government unit.

No. There’s no right of appeal anywhere over rent and rate levels for social housing in the IoM

9 hours ago, John Wright said:

Please provide a link to the primary and secondary legislation.

rent control act has been used to good effect based upon average condition in the area and where tenants have lived in unsuitable conditions for extended periods of time the Commission consider an appeal the DOI (LGU was DLGE) is the mediator.

7 hours ago, english zloty said:

rent control act has been used to good effect based upon average condition in the area and where tenants have lived in unsuitable conditions for extended periods of time the Commission consider an appeal the DOI (LGU was DLGE) is the mediator.

The Housing ( Rent Control ) Act 1948 specifically excludes social housing from the remit of the Rent & Rate Appeal Commissioners.

So I ask again, where is the statutory power granting tenants of social housing to appeal against rent or rate levels to DoI or anyone else.

I ask as someone who chaired the R&R Commissioners for 15 years.

IMG_5375.jpeg

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

The Housing ( Rent Control ) Act 1948 specifically excludes social housing from the remit of the Rent & Rate Appeal Commissioners.

So I ask again, where is the statutory power granting tenants of social housing to appeal against rent or rate levels to DoI or anyone else.

I ask as someone who chaired the R&R Commissioners for 15 years.

IMG_5375.jpeg

I don’t think it does because it has been used by tenants of public sector housing in the past 

12 minutes ago, english zloty said:

I don’t think it does because it has been used by tenants of public sector housing in the past 

OK, you know best. I’ve shown you the exclusionary provision. I’ve asked you for the legislative power. You haven’t been able to provide a link. I’m clearly wrong.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

OK, you know best. I’ve shown you the exclusionary provision. I’ve asked you for the legislative power. You haven’t been able to provide a link. I’m clearly wrong.

That's correct. Thank you for recognising that fact. I did share the act. Get a lawyer to help you to interpret it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, english zloty said:

That's correct. Thank you for recognising that fact. I did share the act. Get a lawyer to help you to interpret it

I’ve provided a copy of the provision in the Act, which you think gives tenants of public or social housing a right of appeal, which specifically says that the act doesn’t apply to public or social housing.

Public housing people are either on open-ended tenancy agreements or fixed term. 

Fixed term contracts came in about six years ago, I think, so income and occupancy is means tested.

But the people on the older tenancy agreements are never means tested.

Maybe there was an intention to put everyone on them from people moving out or people dying.

Though when someone is told to move out to another property for renovation and where they move back to the home, the local authority ends their tenancy contract, gives them a new fixed term one for the short stay and then put them on another five year tenancy for once they are moving back into their old home.  The same is true is someone wants to change their name.  The local authority will only recognise the name change if a new contract term is agreed to. 

I dont know how long it will be until everyone has a fixed term tenancy.

I think in many parts of the UK they did it for a while and then stopped.