Elon Musk‘s Starlink sets up shop on the Isle of Man

Amadeus

18 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

We could do with someone like that in the civil service. Give them a much needed kick up the arse and keep them on their toes. 

Jobs aren't a divine right and people should only hold ones they're qualified for. 

But the civil service is already full of people who try to get rid of people on the grounds they don't like what they say.  Especially if it's true.

• 4 months later...

It must be a really desperate news day when the NPM is effectively rehashing old news. Starlink which was granted a licence to set up a base station on the island, and Elon Musk has been accused by the European Space Agency of setting the rules, whilst the Chinese complain that is space station is having to avoid space junk from Starlinks rockets. 

Whilst it is a bit of ‘stardust’ which IOMG will hope will rub off onto them and their civil servants, I doubt it will create many jobs and bring in the money which the civil service relies upon to pay the likes of Manx Radio Journalists salaries and pensions, and the politicos salaries and pensions. 

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I know a few people who have signed up though who say the upload and download speeds are brilliant compared to what they were getting from MT. So that does assist the economy when people are relying on a fast connection to work from home. 

Yes, I am corrected. 

Though it hasn’t created loads of jobs. The SES site is operated remotely. It is a good thing of which I’m not denying but it would have been nicer if long term sustainable jobs were being created as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Yes, I am corrected. 

Though it hasn’t created loads of jobs. The SES site is operated remotely. It is a good thing of which I’m not denying but it would have been nicer if long term sustainable jobs were being created as well. 

Look after them and nurture the relationship and who knows what might come in the future.

I don’t see how anyone can put a negative spin on this (other than the Walters on FB stating it should not be allowed to be built without realising it’s been there for months)

• 1 year later...

Using their App there are two areas in the sky that need to be clear of obstructions. The smaller one, nearer the horizon, seems to provide 3% of the signal. It is obscured by trees for me. Has anyone else had this problem? Much impact from that little area being obscured?