Elon Musk‘s Starlink sets up shop on the Isle of Man

Amadeus

Just now, The Old Git said:

I guess they’re too low to be geostationary? Hadn’t appreciated a home dish or whatever would transmit back to a moving satellite. Quite cool tech

The dish tracks the satellites as they move.

An academic did some modelling of the capability here, and how the handoffs work, based on FCC data https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m05abdGSOxY

He has a couple of other videos, SpaceX want the satellites to be doing satellite to satellite communication in the future. He works out whether it could be faster than the fibre across the Atlantic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I guess they’re too low to be geostationary? Hadn’t appreciated a home dish or whatever would transmit back to a moving satellite. Quite cool tech

The internet transmits back upstream every time you use it.

For most people down is much more relevant to performance but every time you fill in a form, send a search, reply to a pointless post it’s an upload

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

For most people down is much more relevant to performance but every time you fill in a form, send a search, reply to a pointless post it’s an upload

Older geostationary tech has historically used wired backhaul before for upload, such as 56k modems.

It was cheaper and easier than getting users to transmit back up that high.

That's what The Old Git was on about.

Edit: "One-way receive, with terrestrial transmit" was the technical name for it.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Yeah, I used to do websites for companies back in the 90’s and still do hosting for friends etc, just wasn’t sure how data was sent out to the internet with Starlink. A previous satellite system relied on a wired uplink. 

3 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Older geostationary tech has historically used wired backhaul before for upload, such as 56k modems.

It was cheaper and easier than getting users to transmit back up that high.

That's what The Old Git was on about.

Edit: "One-way receive, with terrestrial transmit" was the technical name for it.

It’s cone a long way since my first 24 whatsit dial up modem. Or was it 12? Used to take an hour to get connected to Demon in the U.K. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

If true then this is great news.  An example of how the island should really be pushing onto the world stage.

Now invite them to use us as a test ground for autonomous vehicles and get the PR machine rolling.

Watched the latest Grand Tour special filmed in lockdown yesterday and it just struck me as another missed opportunity.  Great shots of Scotland and huge worldwide audience and we were open most of last summer and they could have come here.  Our government should be all over stuff like this, there are enough of them.

Clarkson vowed never to set foot here again after PROWL

Getting Elon Musk to put in a bid for the whole lock stock and barrel of the Island, installing him as a benevolent dictator would potentially be the saviour of the place.

He’s the greatest visionary of our time, and anyone that can get a rocket to land on its tail gets my vote.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Getting Elon Musk to put in a bid for the whole lock stock and barrel of the Island, installing him as a benevolent dictator would potentially be the saviour of the place.

He’s the greatest visionary of our time, and anyone that can get a rocket to land on its tail gets my vote.

He’s a ruthless businessman who acts in ways not really compatible with the kind of caring society we want here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

He’s a ruthless businessman who acts in ways not really compatible with the kind of caring society we want here. 

Absolute bollocks. What do you want, communism?.

We actively need some true industrialists to jump start the economy. If not then we're truly fucked.

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Absolute bollocks. What do you want, communism?.

We actively need some true industrialists to jump start the economy. If not then we're truly fucked

I don’t know anything about this stuff so I’d be grateful if someone could explain how this application/investment will jump start the economy ( assuming a jump start is necessary)

Will it create jobs? will it result in massively increased tax revenue?

All answers gratefully received

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t know anything about this stuff so I’d be grateful if someone could explain how this application/investment will jump start the economy ( assuming a jump start is necessary)

Will it create jobs? will it result in massively increased tax revenue?

All answers gratefully received

The Licencing and Administration Fees charged will recoup a tiny percentage of the salaries and pension costs of those concerned in DfE and the Government.

We can be grateful for that.