Covid Deniers and Anti Vaxxers

John Wright

It seems that anyone who has any queries about the vaccine are just labelled anti vaxxer loons which isn't the case.

I see today that Pfizer have said their vaccine is safe for 5 to 12 year olds. Now is it not a legitimate question asking why would you give a vaccine to a healthy child that has pretty much 0 chance of being affected by covid? 

26 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

It seems that anyone who has any queries about the vaccine are just labelled anti vaxxer loons which isn't the case.

I see today that Pfizer have said their vaccine is safe for 5 to 12 year olds. Now is it not a legitimate question asking why would you give a vaccine to a healthy child that has pretty much 0 chance of being affected by covid? 

Ok Donald, get your ass back to Mar-a Lago ASAP.

27 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Actually Covid affects quite a percentage of children who catch it.  It's just that it rarely affects them badly enough to require hospitalisation and death rate is very low in the range 1-10 per million.

But consider the case of chickenpox.  That also has a very low hospitalisation rate in children and the fatality rate is about 10 in a million for them (as with Covid it increases with age).  But we still vaccinate children against it because catching it can be unpleasant for them - as can Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually Covid affects quite a percentage of children who catch it.  It's just that it rarely affects them badly enough to require hospitalisation and death rate is very low in the range 1-10 per million.

But consider the case of chickenpox.  That also has a very low hospitalisation rate in children and the fatality rate is about 10 in a million for them (as with Covid it increases with age).  But we still vaccinate children against it because catching it can be unpleasant for them - as can Covid.

UK doesn't use the chickenpox vaccine. They reckon by doing so it would likely increase the incidence of shingles in later life, creating a bigger problem.

There is no point in vaccinating kids for covid, not in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

UK doesn't use the chickenpox vaccine. They reckon by doing so it would likely increase the incidence of shingles in later life, creating a bigger problem.

There is no point in vaccinating kids for covid, not in general.

I didn't think chicken pox was one of the vaccinated diseases either.   

It is probably one of the only childhood diseases I remember that is still prevalent.  There was a trend for pox parties to infect children in preference to risking shingles later,  as I recall.  Not that I supported that, but was not overly protective of my kids against chicken pox. 

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I didn't think chicken pox was one of the vaccinated diseases either.   

It is probably one of the only childhood diseases I remember that is still prevalent.  There was a trend for pox parties to infect children in preference to risking shingles later,  as I recall.  Not that I supported that, but was not overly protective of my kids against chicken pox. 

Apparently after you've caught it and the initial flare up subsides the virus lives in your spine forever. So that's nice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Ah!  That explains why I only found US references to it.  There have been calls for its introduction in the UK though, it appears,  and the arguments against seem a bit loose to me, though that may be the article's interpretation of them.  Certainly the incidence of shingles doesn't seem to have gone up in the elderly in the US, though it has risen a bit in the under 60s.

You can't get shingles unless you've had chickenpox. 

If you've never had chickenpox, you can get chickenpox from someone who has shingles in the infectious stage with breaking blisters. 

If you get the chickenpox vaccine, you're protected against shingles as an adult. 

Chickenpox and shingles are caused by the varicella-zoster herpes virus. That's right, it's in the herpes family of viruses. Herpes viruses remain in the nervous system of the body, usually in the spine.

When reactivated, often through stress or illness, they travel along the nerve(s) and cause painful, infectious blisters on the surface of the skin. 

I know this because I researched it when I had shingles years ago. I would rather have had the vaccine as a child. Shingles suck!

• Like 1