Covid Deniers and Anti Vaxxers

John Wright

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Non-common law jurisdictions tend to have written constitutions which all other laws operate under and the equivalents in such countries, notably the US, base their delusions on their 'constitutional rights'...

But remember the US (like most of the rest of the english speaking world and some former British colonies - with possibly the usual exception of Scotland) is still a common law system - their constitution doesn't alter that. 

I don't know anything about the growth of FMOTL idiocy, but I suspect its roots lie in shysters making up get out of jail free cards to sell to gullible and vulnerable people (like in the Tame-elf thread) with a dash of conspiracy theory thrown in.  Lots of fertile ground for that sort of guff in the States whether they have a written constitution or not.

(I must say I didn't realise until I read John Wright's post that the island isn't a common law jurisdiction.  Perhaps somebody needs to quietly point that out to Courtney Heading - or whatever his name is... )

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

But remember the US (like most of the rest of the english speaking world and some former British colonies - with possibly the usual exception of Scotland) is still a common law system - their constitution doesn't alter that. 

I don't know anything about the growth of FMOTL idiocy, but I suspect its roots lie in shysters making up get out of jail free cards to sell to gullible and vulnerable people (like in the Tame-elf thread) with a dash of conspiracy theory thrown in.  Lots of fertile ground for that sort of guff in the States whether they have a written constitution or not.

(I must say I didn't realise until I read John Wright's post that the island isn't a common law jurisdiction.  Perhaps somebody needs to quietly point that out to Courtney Heading - or whatever his name is... )

Common law in the US is mainly restricted to individual States, the point is that the Constitution is supreme.  Though of course that Constitution is self-limited to what it can do in States there's definitely a hierarchy.  In the Island as elsewhere, statute law automatically over-rules common law.

Scotland very much does have common law in active use, much more so than England I suspect, with some of the offences with splendid Scots names such as Hamesucken or Latin ones such as Plagium.  I seem to remember John saying that Manx Common Law had been superseded (or rather consolidated into statute) in the 19th century, but I think there is still some civil common law around. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Common law in the US is mainly restricted to individual States, the point is that the Constitution is supreme.  Though of course that Constitution is self-limited to what it can do in States there's definitely a hierarchy.  In the Island as elsewhere, statute law automatically over-rules common law.

Scotland very much does have common law in active use, much more so than England I suspect, with some of the offences with splendid Scots names such as Hamesucken or Latin ones such as Plagium.  I seem to remember John saying that Manx Common Law had been superseded (or rather consolidated into statute) in the 19th century, but I think there is still some civil common law around. 

I think that’s a complete mischaracterisation, Roger, as far as the US is concerned.

The Constitution is born of common law, it’s a common law document, full of common law ideas and principles, and it’s interpreted and applied using common law methodology and procedure.

And the interplay between the US constitution and the constitutions of its constituent states is one of the biggest areas of common law growth.

Theres also an interesting interplay between that and the laws of states that don’t have a common law background.

Common law changes, but change is glacial. The constitution is a living thing. 

Much Scots non statute law is Roman Dutch inspired with its own common law over lay.

Its only Manx Criminal law that was codified. But even now common/breast law principles fill in some gaps.

And don’t forget civil law code napoleon legal systems have their own judge made law of interpretation, filling in the gaps, application of the code. This judge made law has a sort of common law effect.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The lack of consistency in these nutcases' arguments is comical. 

Hope she gets equal arms though, must be tricky riding horses with unequal arms. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

A rather strange statement from Mrs Megson given the amount of time she has spent in the Manx Courts in recent decades.  Here's a recent appearance on Judgments where she is demanding that she has the right to appeal to the Privy Council against her landlord throwing her out because she hadn't paid the rent (there are another seven entries regarding this case alone).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

A rather strange statement from Mrs Megson given the amount of time she has spent in the Manx Courts in recent decades.  Here's a recent appearance on Judgments where she is demanding that she has the right to appeal to the Privy Council against her landlord throwing her out because she hadn't paid the rent (there are another seven entries regarding this case alone).

Wow, she is special. 

I am amazed how tolerant High Baliff seems to be.  Perhaps she actually finds it amusing?

I've found that people only really tend to get angry when they know they are arguing against the truth.  Would explain why the normals don't seem to get as wound up as these Anti-Vaxxer/Conspiracy theorists do when arguing the other way... 

5 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I am amazed how tolerant High Baliff seems to be.  Perhaps she actually finds it amusing?

I've found that people only really tend to get angry when they know they are arguing against the truth.  Would explain why the normals don't seem to get as wound up as these Anti-Vaxxer/Conspiracy theorists do when arguing the other way... 

I think the judiciary have to be ostentatiously fair with her so as to not give her even more excuses for even more appeals against decisions.  But as way remarked in another recent decision:

10. In some ways this is typical of the way Mrs Megson persistently puts the Court and the Court office in a difficult position. I want to believe that she is acting in good faith and is not manipulating the situation but, despite her contentions to the contrary, I cannot accept that she is as confused and unfamiliar with the process as she claims in correspondence.

But such people don't think they are arguing against the truth.  On the contrary they know that the truth is on their side because as far as they are concerned The Truth is that everything in the world should suit them, because they are very, very special.  So any actions they do must be right and completely justified because it is in the service of this Higher Truth.  And they get angry when for some reason other people don't go along with this.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think the judiciary have to be ostentatiously fair with her so as to not give her even more excuses for even more appeals against decisions.  But as way remarked in another recent decision:

10. In some ways this is typical of the way Mrs Megson persistently puts the Court and the Court office in a difficult position. I want to believe that she is acting in good faith and is not manipulating the situation but, despite her contentions to the contrary, I cannot accept that she is as confused and unfamiliar with the process as she claims in correspondence.

But such people don't think they are arguing against the truth.  On the contrary they know that the truth is on their side because as far as they are concerned The Truth is that everything in the world should suit them, because they are very, very special.  So any actions they do must be right and completely justified because it is in the service of this Higher Truth.  And they get angry when for some reason other people don't go along with this.

Courts are very accommodating to people  representing themselves.  I remember a case years ago and the court was very forgiving of the plaintiff.  But, the fact was that without legal representation they were unable to argue the law or present their case well.  They lost.

This lady shows an immense naivety by asking that the matter be heard in another jurisdiction and by approaching lawyers in the UK.

Perhaps the knowledge and expertise of Mr H should have been employed.  He could have explained what was what and drafted a writ with her counterclaim for half a million. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Courts are very accommodating to people  representing themselves.  I remember a case years ago and the court was very forgiving of the plaintiff.  But, the fact was that without legal representation they were unable to argue the law or present their case well.  They lost.

This lady shows an immense naivety by asking that the matter be heard in another jurisdiction and by approaching lawyers in the UK.

Perhaps the knowledge and expertise of Mr H should have been employed.  He could have explained what was what and drafted a writ with her counterclaim for half a million. 

Where is “McKenzie Friend” Barrie Steven’s or Steve England when Mrs Megson needs them.