Gambling (again probably)

TheTeapot

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

This isn't about gambling though, if you read the article.  It's about potential money laundering and related topics.

If I wanted to launder money I’d buy a lot of pubs. And burger vans. I did not read the article as I read it as a moral issue. On that I have no view as if you want to gamble then do so or drink then do so. Both activities have long standing connection to criminal behavior. That’s just life. 

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

French football journalist Philippe Auclair, who has voiced his concern about gambling in football for a long time now, has written a piece about things. You can read it here http://josimarfootball.com/the-trillion-dollar-gambling-game/

The Isle of Man does not come out of that terribly well.

That's quite a tale. The facilitation this Island provides through its tax status, and the figures involved are phenomenal...

1 hour ago, Anyone said:

I did not read the article as I read it as a moral issue. On that I have no view as if you want to gamble then do so or drink then do so. Both activities have long standing connection to criminal behavior.

Why not make yourself a beverage and spend 20 minutes reading it and then decide.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

This isn't about gambling though, if you read the article.  It's about potential money laundering and related topics.

And very interesting it is too. If it is all factual and correct, The ease of facilitation and enablement of extended global criminal enterprise to hide the proceeds of organised crime, be it assets from drugs, sex-trafficking, racketeering etc., seems to be ignored, as it has been for decades on the Island.

• Like 1

Really good read actually. Brings a lot of the the hidden out into the open. And yes, the Isle of Man does not come out well (when does it ever when it comes to issues such as this).

It's not just here thought. Several banks throughout the world have been "caught" moving money around the system (HSBC etc) suspected of being from dubious sources. The amounts in the article are obscene though and the naturalisation of younger football fans to engage in betting is very worrying. For me, gambling is the worst addiction in terms of the damage it can cause beyond those who are actually gambling. And there are rarely any signs physically or mentally when it is spiralling out of control. 

Mind you, wasn't it John Major who started the Lottery. and started a whole new gambling culture in the UK. From seedy shops and on course betting it became socially acceptable in most peoples lives to queue up now in garages and shops just to buy lottery tickets, scratch cards and the like.

As someone who's been in the industry for almost twenty years now, here and in Manila, it looks like an interesting article that appears well researched and goes beyond anything I've seen published before. I need a coffee and read that a couple more times. Complex topic with multiple angles and a lot to take in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1