Gambling (again probably)

TheTeapot

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

The Celtion connection is interesting, an ex top dog CS employee is the boss of a private company that their CS job supervised in that "industry"

? Bill Mummery is the boss , not an ex civil servant as far as I know?

He is on MUA & Manx Radio boards which are government entities 

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

And is a nasty piece of work from the dealings I've had with him.

Which are?

Sorry I’ve forgotten the protocol on MF which means you can make such accusations without providing the slightest bit of evidence (see Rob Callister thread)

I know that’s a bit tiresome for some.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Indeed he is (and loads of other things).  The person being referred to is Garth Kimber:

TGP certainly knows how to play the game. It has the right people for that. In December 2011, Garth Kimber, until then Head of e-Gaming development at the Isle of Man government, “decided to return to the private sector”. This meant taking on the position of CEO of TGP Holdings Ltd (the parent company of TGP Europe Limited, of which he is a director) as soon as he’d left his position as a public servant. Since that date, Kimber has also become the CEO of Xela Holdings Ltd, the Isle of Man branch of a gaming consortium, after being headhunted for that job by its Asian parent company. A case of the game-keeper turned poacher, in a neat reversal of the old expression.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Good. Why on earth would the Government fund gambling addiction?

I would not want my taxes spent in this way.

What about drug and alcohol addiction? Should government fund that, or should all addicts just be killed and have done with it?

Your ‘Voice of Reason’ persona is rapidly turning into a comedy account. Well done, if that’s your aim. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Good. Why on earth would the Government fund gambling addiction?

I would not want my taxes spent in this way.

Because a lot of families are severely impacted by it not just the individual, also there have been many suicides across UK from it. 
Similar to other forms of addiction eg drugs, the impact on individual, families & health services is massive & if addiction can be treated it benefits a lot more than the individual.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Banker said:

From the article

William (“Bill”) Mummery, like Kimber a former “e-Gaming ambassador” for the IOM government from 2004 to 2007, is a Director of the Isle of Man’s Public Service Commission, described as ‘the Employer Body for the IOM Government Staff’ in his LinkedIn profile. He is also a Director of the Manx Utilities Authority, a director and a council member of the Isle of Man Chamber of Commerce and the Chairman of Manx Radio, the official national broadcaster of the island. In other words, Mummery is one of the best-connected pillars of the Isle of Man’s establishment.

10 hours ago, finlo said:

And is a nasty piece of work from the dealings I've had with him.

Bill Mummery was the director of gaming at the Department of Trade and industry  therefore a civil servant , his involvement with the MEA  Manx Radio  and other Government agencies  have come about since he left central Government , no doubt about it he is a hard worker , and on the side had raised many hundreds of thousands for charity , and because of this work ethic he tends not to suffer fools ,   but at the end of the day he does get things done !         and is prepared to put something back into the community ,which is a rare  gift these days 

• Like 1