Gambling (again probably)

TheTeapot

Unfortunately, e-gambling is vital to the overall IOM economy – this is the secret behind our ‘prosperous’ economy.

E-gambling drives the size of the private sector i.e., how many people are employed, how much profit is made, how big the GDP is and therefore how much VAT the Island gets through the FERSA agreement with the UK. Obviously, the reason e-gambling is here in the first place is because we have '0%-10%' company tax rate, which makes the IOM an attractive place for these companies to be located in. There is a clear cause-and-effect relationship between 0% taxes for e-gambling companies and practically everything else.

My concern however is that the IOM appears to be very lax in the way it gives e-gambling companies ‘white label’ status. According to the paper, the IOM is granting ‘white label’ status to companies even though it does not know who the ultimate beneficiaries of those companies are. If this is true, then it makes a mockery of the plans for greater public transparency of the beneficial ownership of companies, which are registered here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

What about drug and alcohol addiction? Should government fund that, or should all addicts just be killed and have done with it?

Your ‘Voice of Reason’ persona is rapidly turning into a comedy account. Well done, if that’s your aim. 

I don’t think you read my post properly. I was quoting Banker who said “……what contribution do IOM Government make to fund gambling addiction on Island?”

I was drawing attention to the fact it reads like it is suggesting the Government should be funding gambling addiction.

Never mind.

Interesting how he only casually mentions Bet£3.65 and Flutter like they're the good guys and seems unaware of their involvement in the Asian gambling space he then writes about. He clearly knows a few things but to me it seems no more than anyone who works in the industry for a certain amount of time or at a certain level. There are large chunks of knowledge missing and it's clear this was mostly an "investigation by google". 

My attitude toward e-gambling has always been ‘overpaid and over here’ (I can’t comment on ‘oversexed’ bit), and also that sooner or later the IOM’s overreliance on this industry would result in some kind of ‘-gate’. This article subtly implies that a day of reckoning will eventually come.

The IOM economy must diversify away from this industry. If it was up to me, I would rather that our IT sector was providing services to assist people with gambling addictions, as opposed to creating gambling addictions. The R&D sector is also a good option, provided we don’t p**s off experts like Dr Glover - the IOMG needs to engender a welcoming environment in which they can thrive.

The next administration will have a lot to chew over.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Interesting how he only casually mentions Bet£3.65 and Flutter like they're the good guys and seems unaware of their involvement in the Asian gambling space he then writes about. He clearly knows a few things but to me it seems no more than anyone who works in the industry for a certain amount of time or at a certain level. There are large chunks of knowledge missing and it's clear this was mostly an "investigation by google". 

Presumably he has to careful about what he can evidence though and as the article makes clear the complex ownership structures can who does very obscure.  Just because something is 'known' in the industry doesn't automatically mean it can be proved.  And of course he's mainly concerned with the Far East and football links in any case.

I'm curious as to how much of the money that e-gambling brings in to the Island is due to this 'white label'  business and the possible dangers to the Island from possible international crackdowns (Malta has recently been grey-listed for money laundering related problems) or from the Chinese Government actually deciding to use its Great Firewall to cripple this business.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wrighty said:

What about drug and alcohol addiction? Should government fund that, or should all addicts just be killed and have done with it?

Your ‘Voice of Reason’ persona is rapidly turning into a comedy account. Well done, if that’s your aim. 

I am well aware of the devastating effects that addiction can cause having had a close family member who was an alcoholic.

I have explained my harmless little quip. 

Just wonder if perhaps you have given any thought to perhaps making an apology having misunderstood my post.

It would be readily accepted.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just wonder if perhaps you have given any thought to perhaps making an apology having misunderstood my post.

No I haven’t, but since it clearly bothers you so much, I’m sorry I misunderstood your joke post.  It’s difficult sometimes to get posters’ intentions, particularly when they’re known for a certain style of contribution.  For that I apologise.  Next time you’re making a wry comment, rather than blithely defending the indefensible just because government did it, just supplement it with a winky emoji or something so I realise 😉

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wrighty said:

No I haven’t, but since it clearly bothers you so much, I’m sorry I misunderstood your joke post.  It’s difficult sometimes to get posters’ intentions, particularly when they’re known for a certain style of contribution.  For that I apologise.  Next time you’re making a wry comment, rather than blithely defending the indefensible just because government did it, just supplement it with a winky emoji or something so I realise 😉

OK thank you

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...

The Mail:

TGP Europe, which is licensed by the Gambling Commission, is part of a network of related Manx companies including TGP Holdings and Xela Holdings, but its ultimate ownership is unknown. Its CEO is Manx-based Garth Kimber, who lives in a seaside mansion boasting a tower and stunning views."

LinkedIn Garth Kimber:

"CEO
Xela Holdings Limited & TGP Holdings Limited

Dec 2011 - Present 11 years 2 months

Isle of Man, United Kingdom

Isle of Man Government
Head of e-Gaming Development
Isle of Man Government - e-Gaming Development

Jun 2007 - Dec 2011 4 years 7 months"

Probably was not worth mentioning.

25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The Mail:

TGP Europe, which is licensed by the Gambling Commission, is part of a network of related Manx companies including TGP Holdings and Xela Holdings, but its ultimate ownership is unknown. Its CEO is Manx-based Garth Kimber, who lives in a seaside mansion boasting a tower and stunning views."

LinkedIn Garth Kimber:

Kimber worked for IOM Gov in the gaming sector then managed to use that role to move into a fledgeling Chinese e-gaming business he managed to get given a small equity stake in. When it floated a few years ago it made him a millionaire. 

8 minutes ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

Kimber worked for IOM Gov in the gaming sector then managed to use that role to move into a fledgeling Chinese e-gaming business he managed to get given a small equity stake in. When it floated a few years ago it made him a millionaire. 

The story is concerned about e gaming companies linked to China sponsoring premiere league clubs. There’s no question of corporate improprieties with the company in the IOM. 

1 minute ago, Steve_Christian said:

The story is concerned about e gaming companies linked to China sponsoring premiere league clubs. There’s no question of corporate improprieties with the company in the IOM. 

Where have I said there is? I was just providing some background. Xela Holdings is operated by Sunterra looking at its corporate address. TGP is registered above Joe Jennings in Castle Street. Kimber is linked to both.