LoveIOM Gift Card

I saw on 3fm website IOMG are spending £500,000 on a new digital gift card which local and visitors can use to buy goods and services. It says for a limited time it will come with extra credit. 

Is it something you can buy? Can you apply for one? Or as per usual is it another unique ‘Manx’ scheme which isn’t fit for purpose, will be riddled with issues and will end up costing taxpayers. If IOMG and it’s vested interests wish to stimulate growth or spending, perhaps prices could be reduced? Or maybe they could follow Jerseys example of £100 to every taxpayer to spend in the local economy? 

As per usual IOMG good at press releases but lousy at providing real information as to how the scheme works, it’s advantages and disadvantages. 

42 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I saw on 3fm website IOMG are spending £500,000 on a new digital gift card which local and visitors can use to buy goods and services. It says for a limited time it will come with extra credit. 

Is it something you can buy? Can you apply for one? Or as per usual is it another unique ‘Manx’ scheme which isn’t fit for purpose, will be riddled with issues and will end up costing taxpayers. If IOMG and it’s vested interests wish to stimulate growth or spending, perhaps prices could be reduced? Or maybe they could follow Jerseys example of £100 to every taxpayer to spend in the local economy? 

As per usual IOMG good at press releases but lousy at providing real information as to how the scheme works, it’s advantages and disadvantages. 

Give them a chance - it's not even launched yet. They are currently in the process of getting businesses to register first, then more information will be released when it becomes available to the public

Why do they need businesses to sign up? Why not just get it set up as a pre paid card, users load money onto it and go spend like a visa debit card? 

If businesses have to sign up to it, I'm afraid it's going to fall flat on its face 

And what is the breakdown of the £500,000 spend? Christ almighty what a waste. 

Like 2112 says, if you just gave a portion to every resident to spend how they please, that would be at least £5000 each! I'd much prefer that than a card I can only use in millichaps 🤷‍♂️ (nothing against millichaps  btw)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoolie said:

Like 2112 says, if you just gave a portion to every resident to spend how they please, that would be at least £5000 each! I'd much prefer that than a card I can only use in millichaps 🤷‍♂️ (nothing against millichaps  btw)

Not quite. Try £6.50 or so...

19 minutes ago, Hoolie said:

If you just gave a portion to every resident to spend how they please, that would be at least £5000 each! 

I didn't realise Diane Abbott had moved to the island.  Even if you don't believe all the government figures it's obvious we have slightly more than 100 residents.

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

More playing at being businessmen from the CS

I tell you how to get more money spent locally, up your game local businesses, most are sh1t and don't get me started on local eateries

Really?  My experiences of eateries is pretty much universally good recently.

Far more options and much better quality than we have had on island previously.

Really don’t know what more you could want.  There are places at every price point and for just about every type of food I can think of.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Really?  My experiences of eateries is pretty much universally good recently.

Far more options and much better quality than we have had on island previously.

Really don’t know what more you could want.  There are places at every price point and for just about every type of food I can think of.

Are there any Turskish restaurants ?