LoveIOM Gift Card

49 minutes ago, Banker said:

If they wanted to help hospitality in quieter periods they could have done something like the UK eat out for £10 and just subsidized that or better still don’t get involved in these stupid commercial initiatives 

Govt is Gef obsessed though innit? the KBH agency is the controlling entity of Gef.

• 8 months later...

171,000 paid to gef for the love IOM cards.  Another massive waste of money by government. 

Did someone on here mention that the CEO of the department worked with the gef founder? 

I recall one of the founders used to work in the department behind the scheme.

Good to have friends it seems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cissolt said:

171,000 paid to gef for the love IOM cards.  Another massive waste of money by government. 

Did someone on here mention that the CEO of the department worked with the gef founder? 

Screenshot_20220427-175928.jpg

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Another ill thought out and overly rushed scheme that may have possibly at some point have had some potential but like EVERYTHING ELSE they do turns out to be a hugely expensive pile of shit.

I am gobsmacked at these costs. Seems it wasn’t thought out at all never mind ill thought out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Who is the Gef founder?

58 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Haha. I could just visualise someone sat at their desk at the sea terminal dreamily looking at a cruise ship sailing in and ding let’s spend lots of money on making the love card.

I bet Daffy was a supporter of this , has her fingerprints all over it !

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

I bet Daffy was a supporter of this , has her fingerprints all over it !

Heavens, you're obsessed with the woman.  I'll have you know that our fine civil servants and their CoC chums can come up with money-wasting schemes without any help from politicians, thank you.

There's actually another topic on this subject with more information in it, but I don't know if anyone expected the whole thing to be quite this unsuccessful.  They've actually spent £192,953.69 so as to have only £66,782 spent in the economy.  Not even the finest Skellynomics  can make that look good.  The only good thing is that they haven't spent the whole £500,000 that was originally proposed.  Though I'm sure Allinson will have plenty assuring him that the only thing to do is throw good money after bad.  

Edited to add: By "£66,782 spent in the economy", I mean spent by the public not including the bonus added on by the DfE.  Though even here the word 'public' is stretching it as many of the cards seem to have been bought by companies as part of their Christmas bonuses for employees and so it is money that would have been spent anyway - just with a government top-up.  As usual the DfE's idea of stimulating the economy doesn't seem to go beyond "giving money to your mates".

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Heavens, you're obsessed with the woman.  I'll have you know that our fine civil servants and their CoC chums can come up with money-wasting schemes without any help from politicians, thank you.

There's actually another topic on this subject with more information in it, but I don't know if anyone expected the whole thing to be quite this unsuccessful.  They've actually spent £192,953.69 so as to have only £66,782 spent in the economy.  Not even the finest Skellynomics  can make that look good.  The only good thing is that they haven't spent the whole £500,000 that was originally proposed.  Though I'm sure Allinson will have plenty assuring him that the only thing to do is throw good money after bad.

Can anyone name a DfE funded scheme that was a) successful and b) spent the whole budget allocated to it? Serious question, because I can't.