LoveIOM Gift Card

56 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Can anyone name a DfE funded scheme that was a) successful and b) spent the whole budget allocated to it?

All of them.

Signed,

Laurence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Can anyone name a DfE funded scheme that was a) successful and b) spent the whole budget allocated to it? Serious question, because I can't.

Another quality IOMG approved and totally screwed up scheme. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Can anyone name a DfE funded scheme that was a) successful and b) spent the whole budget allocated to it? Serious question, because I can't.

Their schemes are there for one thing and one thing only - take attention away from the almighty cluster fuck they have created for hospitality on the Island

• Like 1

It is a way of someone trying to justify their salary whilst doing nothing of import.    It is scandalous that money is being wasted in this way but it is always a joy and a pleasure to spend other people’s money especially when there is no accountability.    I believe Manx Radio requested this FOI if so let us have more investigative journalism instead of the usual tosh. The headlines on 3fm were about the cocks that were causing trouble up North….don’t even go there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair to Manx Radio and the Examiner, they are not the BBC, they do not have the depth of journalists or depth coverage the BBC have to spread the info across many channels.

We do not have 600 MPs to pick up the message and demand answers of our Govt.

Finally, local news is subject to our short attention span and we only have ourselves to blame for that!

PS, MF is an exception to the latter!!!

Edited by Kopek

5 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

It wasn’t organised properly at all. If you think of it, who in the right mind is going to take money out of their bank account where that money can be spent where you want, to a card that you can only spend your money at a few random places 3 of which is the Sefton, who government have already given them large chunks of our money. Whoever’s bright idea this was should be demanding our money back.

Can't because he's just been promoted. Yeah, the former general manager at the Sefton, that's the guy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

You know, that is probably the best appraisal I’ve ever read

I would disagree Derek its not random, it seems a targeted attempt to take all SME type business under gov control. 

If it was targeted it would be justifiable, its not, it's more than random, it's a "Let us think what we can do today to piss off a private business and/ or make it harder for them to operate" with a 🙂 at the end of a interdepartmental email.............

I do know this to be true because a close relative works in it....

That department is just a bunch of walter mitty "businessmen"  who are playing with others money.

I have said this many times but Dept of Enterprise should be making private business viable and supporting SMEs.

NOT SETTING UP COMPETITOR BUSINESSES' AND PUTTING HURDLES IN THE WAY OF PRIVATE ENTERPRISE.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Do not alter my posts, if you have an opinion, you express it in your own terms.

I do not agree with your alterations.

You have your opinion of Manx Radio, then there is the reallity of a small outfit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, cissolt said:

I have no idea what this is all about.  Have Government sponsored a team?  Or recruited more staff into DFE? I don't doubt it's a growing area, but we just seem to be throwing really expensive darts at random stuff and hope something returns money.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GefMongooseIOM/status/1519695906643267584

Sponsored a team for a year. Then employed its founder.

Edited by Declan

On 4/28/2022 at 7:20 AM, Manx Bean said:

Well there'll be quite a few where they managed to spend the whole budget.  Success is another matter.  It would be nice if Allinson (who clearly knew the entire scheme was going to be a disaster but seemed unable to stop it) would tell us that no more money would be spent on this.

A lot of the problem with the DfE stems from the way it is funded.  It's suppose to be 'self-funding' but if you look at the accounts the only way this can happen is by including other profitable areas of government - the ship and aircraft registries and especially the general registry (income presumably mainly from property transactions).  For 2020-21 this came to a bit under £15,000,000.

This means that the Department then has the mindset that it has money to spend in whatever way it fancies and employs people to come up with all sorts of schemes that they think will look good.   They don't have to work because whatever the effect that income from the registries will still be there.  And if the spending will benefit the 'right' people rather than develop the Island's economy, that's all to the good - having the right mates has always been the way the Island has worked.

It's actually more complicated than this because the Manx Government now operates all sorts of special 'Funds' (there's about a couple of dozen) which can be called on whenever even this is not enough.  But this 'Trust Fund Kid' mentality explains why these schemes don't work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1