Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

31 minutes ago, P.K. said:

How many times do I have to point out to the Brexit faithful that EU migrants contributed more £ to UK PLC than any other group. So they had more right to use Public Services than anyone else including the indigenous population.

I also pointed out, years ago now, that your totally stupid and completely unnecessary Brexit helped EU migrants on their way to be replaced by non-EU migrants - thousands and thousands of them. Unlike EU migrants who have the whole of the rest of the EU to settle and work in with a minimum of fuss (a benefit no longer available to us) these people bring their dependants over, want to settle permanently, bring over the extended family etc etc. And there's already an outcry about it.

I call that a massive own goal by the racist brexiteers and a good laugh for the rest of us...!

But you said UK never lost control of its borders. Having had it pointed out that this was complete nonsense due to freedom of movement you once again move the goalposts onto a different subject. You do it all the time. In fact, you have by now moved the goalposts all the way around the pitch and probably had them situated on every level of the stadium. So it's the same old pointless, circular, 7 year old argument. It's done. There's a life to be lived. 😎

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I call that a massive own goal by the racist brexiteers and a good laugh for the rest of us...!

You can go round labelling Leave voters as racists and xenophobes as much as you like if it gives you some sort of perverse pleasure.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of  voters voted for Brexit  which was the right choice for the UK .

It is that majority that are having a good laugh at the likes of you, however much you try to besmirch them.

You should just have accepted the result with good grace.

The recent FT YouGov poll earlier in the thread showed 33% thought it was right to leave the EU and 55% thought it was wrong.

So it would appear that a lot of those who voted to Leave are coming to realise that they've been taken for gullible fools.

Because of that backstory I personally believe that the UK will continue to be polarised by the folly that is brexit for a long time to come...

BREXIT has drastically affected school visits. Yesterday it was interesting to see the House of Lords committee asking David Cameron (now Foreign Secretary) whether there should be a 'youth visa' allowing people under a certain age to travel freely to and from European countries. 

He couldn't really agree could he?

Edited by Moghrey Mie

11 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

BREXIT has drastically affected school visits. Yesterday it was interesting to see the House of Lords committee asking David Cameron (now Foreign Secretary) whether there should be a 'youth visa' allowing people under a certain age to travel freely to and from European countries. 

He couldn't really agree could he?

Well why not?

Now the UK has extricated itself from the formal strictures of the EU, we have a clean slate, year zero  if you like.The ability to negotiate without hands being tied , this is the liberating thing about Brexit.

Rule nothing in, rule nothing out.

Its part of the much derided sovereignty 

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of last para

12 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Sure, but the EU does not have to agree.  It could take the stance that to it is visa free travel for everyone or a visa is needed for everyone. 

Well of course it could. The same as the UK could take its own stance and make their own conditions, hence negotiations.

I think we have been in thrall to the EU for so long it has become entrenched.

So much so that we can’t quite comprehend the freedom we now have.

A bit of Stockholm syndrome perhaps?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well of course it could. The same as the UK could take its own stance and make their own conditions, hence negotiations.

I think we have been in thrall to the EU for so long it has become entrenched.

So much so that we can’t quite comprehend the freedom we now have.

A bit of Stockholm syndrome perhaps?

What I am driving at is that such an arrangement would benefit the UK more than the EU so they may not be in a rush to agree.

The other bit you seem to constantly miss is that countries, like India, have asked for visa free entry to the UK as part of any trade agreement.  This reflects the fact that the UK is in a weaker position than the one of the world's biggest trading blocs.

Personally I have no issue with immigration but I think a lot of people would be mortified at the idea of visa free entry to the UK being part of any trade agreement. 

Just now, manxman1980 said:

What I am driving at is that such an arrangement would benefit the UK more than the EU so they may not be in a rush to agree.

The other bit you seem to constantly miss is that countries, like India, have asked for visa free entry to the UK as part of any trade agreement.  This reflects the fact that the UK is in a weaker position than the one of the world's biggest trading blocs.

Personally I have no issue with immigration but I think a lot of people would be mortified at the idea of visa free entry to the UK being part of any trade agreement. 

Again you are missing the point. Whether such an agreement would benefit the UK more than the EU I am not sure I don’t know.
But anyway it is up to debate and hence negotiations at a higher level than you and I discussing it on here would be necessary.

EU nationals had free entry into the UK  entwined with the Single Market so I’m not sure what your problems with Indians and trade agreements would be.

I like you have no issue with immigration. But the UK can stand on its own, not hidie behind the skirts of the EU.

You can be a member of one of the world’s biggest trading blocs. But if you are just one of twenty seven countries, each with their own self interests it doesn’t really count for much. Witness the turmoil the EU has been thrown into with Hungary breaking ranks about any Ukraine succession.

The phrase "Brexit penny dropping" suggests a realization or understanding dawning on someone regarding the consequences or implications of Brexit. The term "penny dropping" is often used metaphorically to describe the moment when someone finally comprehends or becomes aware of something they may not have fully understood before.

Brexit refers to the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union, following a 2016 referendum in which the majority of British voters chose to leave the EU. The process was complex, involving negotiations on various aspects such as trade, borders, and regulations.

The phrase could be used in different contexts, such as when individuals, businesses, or policymakers realize the full impact of Brexit on their lives, industries, or the country as a whole. It suggests that there might be a delayed understanding or acknowledgment of the consequences of the decision to leave the EU.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not sure what your problems with Indians and trade agreements would be.

I don't have a problem with it.  I believe there are a fair few people who will though.

I like you have no issue with immigration. But the UK can stand on its own, not hidie behind the skirts of the EU.

Would you care to point to any trade deals that the UK has made which are on better terms than it had as a member of the EU?

You can be a member of one of the world’s biggest trading blocs. But if you are just one of twenty seven countries, each with their own self interests it doesn’t really count for much. Witness the turmoil the EU has been thrown into with Hungary breaking ranks about any Ukraine succession.

Turmoil is a strong word.  The EU has got Orban onside and agreed to Ukraine possibly joining.   Orban was never going to approve that and more funding to Ukraine. 

Orban is also likely to find himself increasingly isolated now Poland have voted in favour of Tusk rather than PiS.

The guy in the Netherlands (can't recall his name) is very unlikely to be able to form a Government.

So whilst right wing parties may increasingly be winning votes its only Hungary where they have any real power.

• Like 1