Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

5 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Oh no! The UK is being left out of a transport plan by scheming EU countries.  As reported by a paper that literally campaigned vigorously for years to get the UK out of the EU. Bonkers. 

Came here to post the same thing. The stupidity of brexiters is astonishing. Every single one of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Came here to post the same thing. The stupidity of brexiters is astonishing. Every single one of them.

Hang on. The incredibly stupid Daily Express has a column stating that the UK is not included in some EU transport network because it is not part of the EU.

Well duh! In what sort of universe does that make Brexiteers stupid.!

The stupid people are the ones that think the Daily Express speaks for Brexiteers seven years after the event!

25 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Hang on. The incredibly stupid Daily Express has a column stating that the UK is not included in some EU transport network because it is not part of the EU.

Well duh! In what sort of universe does that make Brexiteers stupid.!

The stupid people are the ones that think the Daily Express speaks for Brexiteers seven years after the event!

That's right. We're no longer part of the co-operation, efficiency, logistics and all the benefits that arise from EU membership. We're just obliged to pay the prices because of it.

I and the rest of the thread are still waiting for you to supply a list of the promised, tangible benefits that have been conferred upon the average Briton by Brexit. I'm starting to think that you might be struggling with the answer or something.

I'm not fully conversant with your particular brand of stupid but I do admire your total dedication to it.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That's right. We're no longer part of the co-operation, efficiency, logistics and all the benefits that arise from EU membership. We're just obliged to pay the prices because of it.

I and the rest of the thread are still waiting for you to supply a list of the promised, tangible benefits that have been conferred upon the average Briton by Brexit. I'm starting to think that you might be struggling with the answer or something.

I'm not fully conversant with your particular brand of stupid but I do admire your total dedication to it.

You really don’t have a clue do you?

People often talk in terms of Brexit like a divorce.

Yes the UK was wedded to the EU  for forty years but over  time it became apparent that one party wanted to exert a more controlling influence over the relationship.
From a financial or economic  point of view an argument could be made that they were best off sticking together.  But if one party felt they were being cajoled into an arrangement they really didn’t want  ( for example “ ever closer union”)surely better that they  go their own separate ways. And do it amicably 

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You really don’t have a clue do you?

People often talk in terms of Brexit like a divorce.

Yes the UK was wedded to the EU  for forty years but over  time it became apparent that one party wanted to exert a more controlling influence over the relationship.
From a financial or economic  point of view an argument could be made that they were best off sticking together.  But if one party felt they were being cajoled into an arrangement they really didn’t want  ( for example “ ever closer union”)surely better that they  go their own separate ways. And do it amicably 

Screenshot_20231224-213325_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The irony.

16 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Pints of wine. 

Quite funny really. British wine is expensive compared with most of its competitors. The answer is to sell it in smaller bottles (most likely for the same price as the competitor’s full bottle). Shrinkflation at its finest! 

On 12/26/2023 at 9:12 PM, Non-Believer said:

21 hours ago, woolley said:

The irony.

6 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20231227-093551_Facebook.jpg

And this is your level. Thank you for proving my point far more succinctly than a thousand words possibly could.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:19 PM, La Colombe said:

Pints of wine. 

Yes pints of wine.

Pints of wine can now be sold in the UK now it has left the EU.

It may appear on the face of it quite a trivial thing, and it may be commercially unviable as we are now so accustomed to buying our wines in measures proscribed by the EU.

But take a step back. Why on earth was the UK prohibited from selling wine in whatever measures it wanted?

Maybe of not much consequence in the big scheme of things but it is indicative of how much of a stranglehold the EU has over its member states and how much it impacts the culture and the way of life of those states.

Why can’t a member state sell wine in any measures it chooses? If the EU can determine that it can’t ,  how much more pernicious is it that it can dictate matters of much more seriousness?

Is it just that over the decades the member states have just accepted that the EU can determine how they are governed and we have a generation of Europeans that doesn’t know any different?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of “ of Europeans” final oara
  • Haha 1

@The Voice of Reason

It doesn't appear trivial.   It is trivial. 

I have never once thought, "I wish I could buy a pint of wine" nor can I ever imagine doing so in the future.

I suspect that the pint of wine is aimed at those who love imperial measures.  As someone who was brought up with the metric system the only things I buy in pints is beer.  Everything else is litres and centilitres.

The same applies to weights.

I am also not particularly tied to miles or miles per hour and would have no issue replacing these with kilometres and KPH in future. 

A pint is to me some quirk of the past that hangs on because the British preferred milk and beer in pints.

4 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@The Voice of Reason

It doesn't appear trivial.   It is trivial. 

I have never once thought, "I wish I could buy a pint of wine" nor can I ever imagine doing so in the future.

I suspect that the pint of wine is aimed at those who love imperial measures.  As someone who was brought up with the metric system the only things I buy in pints is beer.  Everything else is litres and centilitres.

The same applies to weights.

I am also not particularly tied to miles or miles per hour and would have no issue replacing these with kilometres and KPH in future. 

A pint is to me some quirk of the past that hangs on because the British preferred milk and beer in pints.

I fancy you have just proved my point.

I never once thought “I wish I could buy a 750cl ( or 375cl or 100 cl) measure of wine. “ It was forced upon me.

You say  “A pint is to me some quirk of the past that hangs on because the British preferred milk and beer in pints.”

Seriously what on earth makes that a quirk? The UK has used these measures for centuries. The French historically use litres, maybe because they prefer them. Is that too a quirk?

You're “ not tied to miles or miles per hour and would have no issue replacing these with kilometers and KPH in future”  Well bully for you.

Well perhaps maybe our European neighbours should have no issue with adopting miles/ MPH

Let the UK have our pints and miles and others have their litres and kilometers, and all be happy.

My point was if we can be bullied into changing our measuring systems, trivial as you may see that, where does it end?

An ever closer union superstate? (“ sovereignty “ is not quite the nebulous concept some would claim it is)

I would like to see the UK / EU relationship being one of an equal friendship but that’s not going to happen if the UK is in thrall to the EU ( a position you seem to advocate)