Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

1 minute ago, woolley said:

I think you should get an OBE for services to repetition in this thread.

Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm sure there's much more fun to be had especially from the likes of the Daily Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph as they get ever more desperate to big up the pile of poo that is the agenda of the owner...

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Indeed. So the EU doesn't need to take a position.

I disagree (unsurprisingly).  It is right that the EU should take a stance particularly in relation to addressing the societal impact of the war.

It is the EU and its members that should be enforcing economic measures against Russia and freezing and/or seizing Russia assets within the EU.

It just so happens that both countries are members of both organisations so have more routes of communication and opportunities for disagreement.

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm sure there's much more fun to be had especially from the likes of the Daily Mail, Express, Sun and Telegraph as they get ever more desperate to big up the pile of poo that is the agenda of the owner...

Are you actually capable of presenting an argument of your own without having to reference the press and their ownership structures?

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Don't hold your breath.

I won't because the EU has the Russian puppet Orban leading Hungary.

The EU would have given more support to Ukraine had that clown not blocked it.

A clown by the way that many brexit supporters appear to like.

Of course you also make  that statement knowing full well Russia has been trying to influence elections in the  US and UK.  

Johnson also gave the son of a JGB agent a seat in the Lords.  Johnson of course being a man who once wrote a story as a journalist complaining that new EU rules would allow foreign Nationals to stand in UK elections and be elevated to the Lords. 

19 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I won't because the EU has the Russian puppet Orban leading Hungary.

The EU would have given more support to Ukraine had that clown not blocked it.

A clown by the way that many brexit supporters appear to like.

I’m a Brexit supporter and I don’t  like Orban.

And I don’t think many would have supported Brexit because of any feelings towards Orban. It wasn’t part of the platform upon which the Leave campaign was fought. In fact I doubt that many of those voting even knew the name of Hungary’s  leader.

You need to be careful when making such generalisations.

Anyway that proves the point that you shouldn’t move towards “ closer ever union” with twenty seven other countries who may not share your values. A trade bloc is one thing but as you have conceded one clown can influence ( lessen)the support that the EU can give to a country under attack.

At least the UK now can determine its own level of support for Ukraine without having to be held back by one member of the twenty seven “ blocking it” as you say.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

@The Voice of Reason it also proves the UK had more influence and power than was portrayed.  If Hungary could block the funding then the UK could certainly block further integration and an EU Superstate.

I also didn't say all Brexiteers liked Orban.  I said some.  Wasn't Nick Griffin (definitely a Brexiteer) banned from Hungary once upon a time despite admitting his admiration for their leader?

20 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@The Voice of Reason it also proves the UK had more influence and power than was portrayed.  If Hungary could block the funding then the UK could certainly block further integration and an EU Superstate.

I also didn't say all Brexiteers liked Orban.  I said some.  Wasn't Nick Griffin (definitely a Brexiteer) banned from Hungary once upon a time despite admitting his admiration for their leader?

Whether or not the UK could block further integration and an EU superstate, the fact that those options were even on the table sends a red light warning. 

But  as you say if  Hungary could block the funding for action in Ukraine against the wishes of the other twenty six members it just shows how dysfunctional the whole EU project is. In relative terms that equates to about 26 members of the House of Commons being able to scupper the will of the majority of MP’s.

I am really not sure why you are bringing  the repugnant Nick Griffin into this. I have no idea if he was banned from Hungary, and probably 99.9% of the populace also don’t  .I’m not sure that this revelation adds anything to the debate.

29 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Whether or not the UK could block further integration and an EU superstate, the fact that those options were even on the table sends a red light warning. 

But  as you say if  Hungary could block the funding for action in Ukraine against the wishes of the other twenty six members it just shows how dysfunctional the whole EU project is. In relative terms that equates to about 26 members of the House of Commons being able to scupper the will of the majority of MP’s.

I am really not sure why you are bringing  the repugnant Nick Griffin into this. I have no idea if he was banned from Hungary, and probably 99.9% of the populace also don’t  .I’m not sure that this revelation adds anything to the debate.

Or is it just another misguided, desperate tenuous attempt to paint Brexit supporters as racist?

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It is for those who understand.

Off you go like a good little puppy-dog playing the much hackneyed "sovereignty" card while pretending that you've no idea why it is that for over 40 years of UK membership "sovereignty" was never an issue..

Like I say, the gift that keeps on giving...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Which never happened in over forty years of EU membership during which the UK thrived...

Yeah. Right...

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like the brexiteer morons of the ERG led by intellectual colossus Mark Francois who are enough to swing a majority...? Although to be fair Francois did survey every single UK voter so that he could state with confidence that the thin and damaging "deal" cobbled together by totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson was "Not the brexit the British People voted for" and he would know.

Not.

Brexit - the gift etc...

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

Which never happened in over forty years of EU membership during which the UK thrived...

Yeah. Right...

Like the brexiteer morons of the ERG led by intellectual colossus Mark Francois who are enough to swing a majority...? Although to be fair Francois did survey every single UK voter so that he could state with confidence that the thin and damaging "deal" cobbled together by totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Bozo Johnson was "Not the brexit the British People voted for" and he would know.

Not.

Brexit - the gift etc...

I must confess I find your commitment to a lost cause admirable.

Quite touching in a way.

But for the sake of your own sanity I would urge you to move on. In the same way that I have reluctantly accepted that the UK is never going to abandon decimal coinage and revert  back to pounds, shillings and pence.

Just let it go, you’ll feel better for it.

36 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

In the same way that I have reluctantly accepted that the UK is never going to abandon decimal coinage and revert  back to pounds, shillings and pence.

Are you bloody serious?   You would support such a move?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

Are you bloody serious?   You would support such a move?

Yes I would,  but I accept it’s not going to happen. 

We lived with pounds, shilling and pence for decades, if not centuries,  quite happily.

It wasn’t problematic. Children learnt the way it worked at school as they do now with decimal currency.

• Haha 3