Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Nope. It’s just that your mate Barney says that about every post I make 😁

Nah, definitely reads like an admission to me.

Anyway, he isn't my "mate".  Whilst we agree on Brexit and Johnson there are a number of other subjects where we fundamentally disagree. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Nah, definitely reads like an admission to me.

Anyway, he isn't my "mate".  Whilst we agree on Brexit and Johnson there are a number of other subjects where we fundamentally disagree. 

By the way have you ever thought how of how offensive it is labelling Brexiteers “racists”.?  It’s a slur you have repeated often.”

That was the particular comment (amongst others I have made)  that Barney said was “ piss poor trolling” .. Which he said he would no longer respond to. I know my comment was factual

Make your own mind up whether that’s trolling or not.

Anyway I’m not getting dragged any further into this nonsense.

But to return to the Scottish Whisky  thing. Is there any evidence that Australia can legitimately produce and sell whisky as Scottish Whisky , with it not being produced or originating from Scotland, as has been claimed?

Like I said if that’s the case fine, just that I’ve not found any evidence to support it.

Just like Tequila, Cognac, Bourbon and more recently, Sherry, the naming of Scotch Whisky is legally regulated and can only come from a certain geographical location.

Scotch whisky can only be made in Scotland. Hence, any whisky made in Australia cannot be called Scotch, and is simply whisky.

Geographical location is not the only criteria for a spirit to be called Scotch whisky however, here are the other requirements [1]:

1) Scotch whisky must be distilled to a maximum alcohol content of 94.8% ABV. Distilling it to a higher purity than this will remove too much flavour, essentially making a vodka

2)Must be matured in oak casks not exceeding 700 litres. There is no minimum cask size

3) Must be matured only in Scotland, the oak barrel can’t leave the country!

4) The oak barrel must be either new or used to mature wine (still or fortified) or beer or spirits. The majority of Scotch Whiskies are matured in ex-Bourbon casks. Casks which have contained stone fruit products are not permitted. Beer casks which have had fruit or sweetener added after fermentation is complete are not permitted. Spirit casks which have had fruit, flavours or sweetener added after distillation are also not permitted [2].

5) Must be matured for a minimum of 3 years. This is different to Australia which is 2 years

Edited by The Voice of Reason

GI protection beyond trade marks

The SWA's ( Scottish Whisky Association )approach illustrates that it is possible to obtain a high level of protection of GIs  ( Geographical indication)spirits under Australian trade mark, consumer and food law.

Aspects of His Honour's order goes beyond the protection offered under Australian trade mark law. In particular, item 1 above refers to the EU law concept of evocation, to prohibit uses of imagery that evokes the place to which the GI relates, even if the GI itself is not used,

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

GI protection beyond trade marks

The SWA's ( Scottish Whisky Association )approach illustrates that it is possible to obtain a high level of protection of GIs  ( Geographical indication)spirits under Australian trade mark, consumer and food law.

Aspects of His Honour's order goes beyond the protection offered under Australian trade mark law. In particular, item 1 above refers to concept of evocation, to prohibit uses of imagery that evokes the place to which the GI relates, even if the GI itself is not used,

22 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Anyone remember this mad cow?

Unfortunately I can remember that mad cow in a bath tub in the jungle in, "I'm a Celebrity". It has scarred me for the remainder of my years.

• Haha 1