Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

12 hours ago, woolley said:

I ignored it because I've answered it multiple times in the past, and you know that I have.

Of course I know you've given answers in the past.

But none that hold any water!

Plus it seems to me that more downsides to your totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit keep turning up on a regular basis to join the growing list. Like this one:

"Ministers repeatedly promised, before and after Brexit, that farming and food standards in the UK would not be watered down after leaving the EU. The Guardian, however, has revealed numerous examples of environmental rules that have been weakened, from regulations on air pollution and water quality to pesticide use and agricultural emissions."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/17/post-brexit-rules-on-antibiotic-use-on-farms-water-down-eu-laws-experts-say

And this:

"I love being a pharmacist, but the UK’s drug shortage makes me want to give up – and Brexit makes it worse

Telling patients I can’t get their life-saving medication is awful. The government must act to prevent a real tragedy"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/17/pharmacist-uk-drug-shortage-patient-medication

And this:

"Brexit border IT outages delay import of perishable items to UK by up to 20 hours
Lorries carrying meat, cheese and cut flowers held up by new checks, with retailers rejecting some orders"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/may/15/brexit-border-it-outages-delay-import-of-perishable-items-to-uk-by-up-to-20-hours

And no doubt ad infinitum...

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

And no doubt ad infinitum...

No doubt whatsoever that you'll go on ad infinitum, but inflation and medical shortages are international issues in the 2020s. UK inflation has been above some EU countries for most, though not all, of the time for decades, so there are many factors at work that predate Brexit.

28 minutes ago, woolley said:

No doubt whatsoever that you'll go on ad infinitum, but inflation and medical shortages are international issues in the 2020s. UK inflation has been above some EU countries for most, though not all, of the time for decades, so there are many factors at work that predate Brexit.

Sure.

But if you read the article the pharmacist states that brexit is partly to blame. Not something EU countries have to contend with.

And, unlike you, he would know...

Try the other two and see how you get on.

The Remoaners, the Rejoiners or whatever we’re meant to call them now are still trying to blame Brexit for literally anything bad that happens in Britain.

If that sounds like an exaggeration, then consider this recent complaint by American-Canadian singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright. Sounding off in the Guardian this week, he has tried to blame the critical and commercial failure of his first West End musical on the UK’s decision to leave the EU back in 2016.

Opening Night, a stage adaptation of John Cassavetes’s classic 1977 film, opened at the Gielgud Theatre in London last month. But after a frosty reception from critics and audiences alike, it is set to close two months early.

Instead of graciously accepting the musical’s failure, Wainwright has hit out at the Brexit-voting masses. Apparently, leaving the European Union has dulled West End audiences’ sense of ‘curiosity’ and ‘imagination about change’. He also insists that the UK press disliked the musical not because it was bad, but because it was ‘too European’.

‘I do feel that since Brexit, England has entered into a darker corridor where it is a little more narrow in its outlook’, Wainwright complained. ‘The staging and the rhythm [of the musical] was more European and there was a vitriolic reaction against that.’

Who does Rufus Wainwright think he’s kidding? While there is no truth in his snobbish assertion that Leave voters are somehow more uncultured or less ‘curious’ than their Remainer counterparts, this claim makes little sense on its own terms: West End audiences are perhaps some of the most EU-friendly Brits you could find.

What’s more, some of the harshest reviews of Opening Nightcame not from the Eurosceptic Daily Mail or the pro-Tory Telegraph, but from largely Europhile publications. New York Times critic Houman Barekat said that Opening Nightdesecrated’ Cassavetes’s original film. Kate Mossman in the New Statesman called it a ‘chaotic and masochistic project’. Face it, Rufus, these Remainstream outlets and critics are very much part of your tribe – and they still didn’t like your musical.

Wainwright isn’t the only celeb who is still trying to blame anything and everything on Brexit. Comedian David Baddiel argued last week that lorries are crashing into bridges because we are no longer in the EU. Although he provided no evidence of an increase in lorry crashes since either the Leave vote or since we left the Single Market, he nonetheless cited overturned lorries as concrete proof that ‘Brexit has fucked everything up’ on a ‘microscopic’ level. Really?

Also last week, physicist Brian Cox insisted that the prospect of a second Donald Trump presidency means that Brexit must be reversed. Supposedly, with the US becoming increasingly isolationist, British democratic life faces an existential threat, unless we submit ourselves to the rule of Brussels. We need a pro-EU leader, he said, to rescue us from the ‘shellshock’ of 2016. Has it not occurred to Cox that overturning the Brexit referendum, and the votes of 17.4million Brits, would also pose a serious threat to the UK’s democratic life?

Wainwright, Baddiel and Cox all share the same obsessive assumption that, whatever the problem, the Leave-voting plebs are to blame. Brexit Derangement Syndrome is sadly alive and well.

Old news from "Spiked" whose backers include the Koch brothers who also fund Donald Trump.

You're going to have to do a lot better than that nonsense...

Make what you will of this.

Yes it’s from the Telegraph but that doesn’t change the fact that the Union Flag is missing from those flags flying commemorating D Day. That’s not made up.  Why is that if not because of Brexit? A mere administrative oversight perhaps, rather than a snub?

Row over Union flag snub by French village

Brexit thought to be reason for flag being dropped from D-Day bunting

A town in Normandy has appeared to drop the British flag from bunting commemorating D-Day

Carentan is one of a number of communities on both sides of the Channel preparing to remember the many thousands of soldiers involved in the largest amphibious invasion in history, launched on June 6 1944.

But with the 80th anniversary just weeks away, eagle-eyed visitors have spotted that the Union Flag appears to be absent from the bunting hanging in the town, even though it can be seen in the photos from the past two years.

Flags of the US, Canada and the EU are still flying in the bunting.

The apparent exclusion has angered many Britons.

Neil Geddes, a 59-year-old engineer from Fleetwood, Lancashire, told The Sun: “It’s wrong, considering our involvement in France’s evacuation and liberation.”

Pointing to the flags of Switzerland, Sweden and Ireland, he said: “They have no right to flags here when it was us who battled the Nazis.”

Gordon Bridge, 83, said: “For the brave contribution our country gave to defeating evil we should never be forgotten.”

But an employee of the town’s tourism board blamed recent political developments.

Carole Zarb, 54 said: “The town hall is behind this. We think it is because of Brexit. We are not behind their decision.”

Carentan was a vital location for the Allied forces, providing the only crossing point between two of the five assault beaches, codenamed Utah and Omaha.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Make what you will of this.

Yes it’s from the Telegraph but that doesn’t change the fact that the Union Flag is missing from those flags flying commemorating D Day. That’s not made up.  Why is that if not because of Brexit? A mere administrative oversight perhaps, rather than a snub?

Neil Geddes, a 59-year-old engineer from Fleetwood, Lancashire, told The Sun: “It’s wrong, considering our involvement in France’s evacuation and liberation.”

@The Voice of Reason

So this load of pathetic rubbish is from the Telegraph then? Very well, it's so bad it could be I suppose...

"That's not made up"

Don't think so.

0/10 - Must try (a lot!) harder...

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

@The Voice of Reason

So this load of pathetic rubbish is from the Telegraph then? Very well, it's so bad it could be I suppose...

"That's not made up"

Don't think so.

0/10 - Must try (a lot!) harder...

I see the Telegraph is also reporting that Manchester City have won this seasons Premier League title.

More pathetic rubbish that they have no doubt just made up

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I see the Telegraph is also reporting that Manchester City have won this seasons Premier League title.

Just more obfuscation.

I'm just wondering why you claimed your quote was from the Telegraph when in fact it was from the Sun as in "Neil Geddes, a 59-year-old engineer from Fleetwood, Lancashire, told The Sun" etc.

Well...?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Just more obfuscation.

I'm just wondering why you claimed your quote was from the Telegraph when in fact it was from the Sun as in "Neil Geddes, a 59-year-old engineer from Fleetwood, Lancashire, told The Sun" etc.

Well...?

Because the article was cut and pasted from the Telegraph website ( photos omitted) I don’t have access to the Sun and certainly wouldn’t consider paying for it!

Why can’t the Telegraph report that” Mr Geddes told the Sun etc” if he did ?The Telegraph could hardly say they themselves had been told by Mr G, if they hadn’t could they?

Well….?

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No, not made up but another City title with an asterisk against it while there are 115 pending allegations against the club.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Just more obfuscation.

Well...?

Here you go

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/05/18/union-jack-bunting-d-day-commemoration-snub-normandy/

I never claimed Mr Gs quote was from the Telegraph itself. 
I will accept your apology should you do the right thing and make one.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of second para

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Here you go

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/05/18/union-jack-bunting-d-day-commemoration-snub-normandy/

I never claimed Mr Gs quote was from the Telegraph itself. 
I will accept your apology should you do the right thing and make one.

Well the "author" of the article, Ruth Hallows, writes for the Telegraph.

Looking at this:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/27986396/france-d-day-flags-britain/

it would appear that the Telegraph has now sunk so low It's plagiarising "stories" from the Sun ffs!

So much for this!

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t have access to the Sun and certainly wouldn’t consider paying for it!

Well that's exactly what you're doing when you pay for the Telegraph!

Now that's funny!

Mug...