Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

You just couldn't make it up:

UK growth since 2010 has been lacklustre and largely driven by immigration, says report

Rishi Sunak’s pre-election claim that the UK economy is now “going gangbusters” is undermined today by a report which argues that growth since 2010 has been “unspectacular” and has been the result of a rising population, caused principally by high levels of immigration.

Greg Thwaites, research director at the Resolution Foundation, said: “The extra 6 million people in Britain have certainly made the economy bigger, but have done little for GDP per capita. The UK’s record on productivity – which is what really matters for living standards – is exceptionally bad.”

Since 2019, the UK has strengthened its position as the world’s second-biggest exporter of services after the US, the report says. But “far less welcome” has been its “weak performance on goods trade” with 57% of manufacturing businesses “still wrestling with the additional paperwork, customs duties and border checks which have increased exporting challenges post-Brexit.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/jun/09/uk-growth-since-2010-has-been-lacklustre-and-largely-driven-by-immigration-says-report

Brexit - the gift etc

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

You just couldn't make it up:

UK growth since 2010 has been lacklustre and largely driven by immigration, says report

Brexit - the gift etc

So since 2010, and it wasn't great before that. So in your world this is all due to Brexit. You're blind to reality.

26 minutes ago, woolley said:

So since 2010, and it wasn't great before that. So in your world this is all due to Brexit. You're blind to reality.

You must have missed this bit:

with 57% of manufacturing businesses “still wrestling with the additional paperwork, customs duties and border checks which have increased exporting challenges post-Brexit.

You can't polish a turd...

Happy To Help!

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You must have missed this bit:

with 57% of manufacturing businesses “still wrestling with the additional paperwork, customs duties and border checks which have increased exporting challenges post-Brexit.

You can't polish a turd...

Happy To Help!

No you still don’t get it.

It is not “additional paperwork, customs duties etc” Its the protocols you go through when trading with the EU as a non member, like most of the world.

The UK has left the EU, we have a different relationship with them. Things were always going to change with Brexit and regaining sovereignty. 

I don’t think you’ve quite got your head round that. Maybe in time.

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No you still don’t get it.

It is not “additional paperwork, customs duties etc” Its the protocols you go through when trading with the EU as a non member, like most of the world.

The UK has left the EU, we have a different relationship with them. Things were always going to change with Brexit and regaining sovereignty. 

I don’t think you’ve quite got your head round that. Maybe in time.

Oh yes it is additional!

Just one small example:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/29/uk-new-border-controls-animal-plant-imports-brexit

You just don't get it, do you?

Brexit - the gift etc.

18 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I get it.

We have left the EU. We are no longer in the EU.

A lot of other countries are not in the EU. 

There are rules, protocols for such countries trading with the EU, and the EU with those countries.

You need to stop living in the past 😁

So nothing to say about brexit additional customs delays, costs etc...?

But then there isn't anything you can say which is going to change reality now is there?

As to living in the past Churchill gave the HoC his own version of an old saying thus:

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” 

The thing is that folks have to admit they were wrong before it can be put right. Sunak's silence is a cop-out because he would much rather it was someone else's problem. The really strange thing is he thinks he will still be tory leader by September when surely going would bring all the misery to an end...

However the worst thing for me about this election is the long list of truly horrible people vying to replace him...

32 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The thing is that folks have to admit they were wrong before it can be put right. Sunak's silence is a cop-out because he would much rather it was someone else's problem. The really strange thing is he thinks he will still be tory leader by September when surely going would bring all the misery to an end...

Whatever you think of him he’s not stupid enough to think that will be the case.

He has enough intelligence to know that he is a dead man walking.

But of course he has no option other than to let it all play out.

On 6/8/2024 at 5:58 PM, woolley said:

If you start to go down that road, where do you stop? Everyone is of their time.

What would they also think of the permissive society, abolition of capital punishment, multiracial society, decline of Christianity and virtual abolition of the Sabbath, gay liberation, globalisation, corporate greed, ceding of lawmaking to a European union, diminution of respect for authority, vandalism, devolution, pop music, commercial television, drug crime, gang wars, minors stabbing each other on the streets as a commonplace occurrence?

The list of things that would shock those who died 80 years ago is very long.

And the list of things that were about 80 years ago would shock the people of 160 years ago.

Your point being?

10 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

And the list of things that were about 80 years ago would shock the people of 160 years ago.

Your point being?

You need to see the exchange with @manxman1980 for context. It's only one page back (post 10.53pm Saturday) so I'm surprised you missed it if you wanted to know. The point being that you can't attribute opinions of your own to those long dead to reinforce an argument like "what would the veterans have thought of Brexit", or whatever. But thanks anyway for amplifying my contention.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, woolley said:

You need to see the exchange with @manxman1980 for context. It's only one page back (post 10.53pm Saturday) so I'm surprised you missed it if you wanted to know. The point being that you can't attribute opinions of your own to those long dead to reinforce an argument like "what would the veterans have thought of Brexit", or whatever. But thanks anyway for amplifying my contention.

I imagine they would be a bit miffed at the literal Nazis walking around in the West, what with the whole "we went to war to stop the Nazis" thing they had going on in the 30s/40s.

I can imagine they would also be a bit miffed at countless politicians saying "we will remember them" while sending countless young lives off to die in the oil/politics wars of the Middle East or trying to bolster the shrinking Armed Forces with teenagers (shrinking because the Government have been cutting them to the bone for the last 40ish years).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RecklessAbandon said:

WW2 - Sept 39 until Sept 45

The UK declared war on Germany 3rd of Sept 1939

I know.

But nothing happened during the first 8 months, from a British point of view. Not for nothing is September ‘39 to April ‘40 known as the “phoney war”.

The “We went to war to stop the Nazis” thing, as you call it, is really late ‘40’s and ‘50’s and on. It’s only something that can be said once war is over and the Nazis have been stopped.

1940-1945 people were too involved with fighting, the war effort and simply surviving, to think such an abstract concept.