Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

On 6/17/2024 at 11:18 PM, John Wright said:

The only 2 European countries which have opted out are Russia and Belarus. Do you really want to join them? I don’t feel safe with populism and Farage’s “contract”.

Set aside Farage, but absolutely we should repudiate the ECHR. Russia and Belarus are red herrings. I would support a similar line taken to the USA, the most successful democracy on Earth, in that no foreign court sits above our own highest court, and we are don't take rulings from outside. I would prefer to trust in our own traditions and ancient institutions to manage our affairs and good governance.

15 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

Such hyperbolic nonsense, equating roaming charges to the Ukraine disaster.

But then, you were just shown a demonstrable thing that was lost and all you can reach for to counter is nonsense.

Indeed. Introduced an illustration to try to shock @manxman1980 into seeing that there is perhaps more value in self-determination than the cost of roaming charges (despite the fact that they are easily avoided).

15 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

I do find it sad that every year we have Remembrance Day and remember D-Day, and we say platitudes about "we will remember them" and have an annual who can wear the largest gaudiest poppy (while sneering at those that don't) while at the same time watching the whole world slip back in terms of casting of the shackles of Fascism and the Far-Right.

And absolute weapons like you, VoC, Quilp, etc are actively cheering it on.  Good times.

No, I think you made that connection in your fevered imagination.

11 hours ago, Cambon said:

I quite agree with your comments medication and food shortages. However, covid and a couple of summers of extreme weather have also played a part. 

Re this response to @John Wright:

Medication and food shortages have been widespread, not just in the UK. Food largely due to crop failures in extreme weather. As for drugs, just google "medicine shortages Europe". It's made worse in the UK because we pay less for our supplies than other countries, so in times of shortage they send availability to the most lucrative markets, i.e, those that pay the highest prices for the products.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, woolley said:

Re this response to @John Wright:

Medication and food shortages have been widespread, not just in the UK. Food largely due to crop failures in extreme weather. As for drugs, just google "medicine shortages Europe". It's made worse in the UK because we pay less for our supplies than other countries, so in times of shortage they send availability to the most lucrative markets, i.e, those that pay the highest prices for the products.

But time and time again, it has been shown that yes, there are shortages of food of medicine all over.  And yes, there was Covid and side affects of war in Ukraine for all, but the UK has recovered at a slower rate because of Brexit and our isolation.

Why is the UK economy lagging behind the US, Germany and others? - BBC News

Rich leave London in droves for Florida, Dubai and Paris as UK has world's second-biggest millionaire exodus (msn.com)

"According to the Henley Private Wealth Migration Report, 9,500 millionaires, defined in US dollar terms, left the UK last year. Only China - which has more  than twice as many people with seven-figure net worths - saw more millionaires leave."

Sunlit uplands and unicorns all around.

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Set aside Farage, but absolutely we should repudiate the ECHR. Russia and Belarus are red herrings. I would support a similar line taken to the USA, the most successful democracy on Earth, in that no foreign court sits above our own highest court, and we are don't take rulings from outside. I would prefer to trust in our own traditions and ancient institutions to manage our affairs and good governance.

@woolley

Now you're having a laugh!

The US Supreme Court judges are political appointments ffs!

The last tory so-called government eroded some of our human rights. Imagine what would have happened if the UK high courts were split along partisan lines purely for political gain? Certainly not the following:

Suella Braverman acted unlawfully by making it easier to criminalise protests, court rules

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/21/new-police-powers-for-protests-unlawful-high-court-rules#

As to "the most successful democracy on Earth" recently the GOP decided to play politics with the next tranche of military aid to Ukraine by delaying it for no other reason than they can. This emboldened the Russians to open another front in the North which resulted in the unnecessary deaths of more brave Ukrainians and the loss of more territory. Well done the GOP not...

Personally I think your stance on the ECHR is just more of your anti-Europe paranoia showing through...

22 hours ago, P.K. said:

Matt Chorley is no James O'Brien, that's for sure...

22 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And every day he thanks God  for that.

@The Voice of Reason

Are you thick or what?

I'm sure Chorley would love to have O'Brien's audience figures. I guess he just doesn't have the requisite talent...

That's the O'Brien that brexiteers like you do everything they can to discredit for the way he time and again shows up your precious brexit for the lying clusterfuck it truely is...

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

@The Voice of Reason

Are you thick or what?

I'm sure Chorley would love to have O'Brien's audience figures. I guess he just doesn't have the requisite talent...

That's the O'Brien that brexiteers like you do everything they can to discredit for the way he time and again shows up your precious brexit for the lying clusterfuck it truely is...

P.K. Keep it civil. As I said earlier, the people who start to try to insult others and become aggressive are the people losing the argument. Do you want to come across that way? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, woolley said:

Indeed. Introduced an illustration to try to shock @manxman1980 into seeing that there is perhaps more value in self-determination than the cost of roaming charges (despite the fact that they are easily avoided).

Oh dear, oh dear...  You were clutching at straws.

As I have already said I gave one example where brexit had a negative impact.  One in which the population were told would not be reintroduced following brexit.  I accept that you can shop around and find a tariff but that is far more inconvenient than never having to worry about roaming charges in the EU.

As for your comparison with the war in Ukraine it is utter nonsense.  Sovereignty and self-determination are not helping Ukraine now.  What is helping is EU and NATO support.  Why do you think they so desperately want to join the EU & NATO?

Give your head a wobble. 

9 hours ago, Cambon said:

P.K. Keep it civil. As I said earlier, the people who start to try to insult others and become aggressive are the people losing the argument. Do you want to come across that way? 

Excuse me but just look at what that nasty Mr Quilp said to me the other day:

On 6/3/2024 at 11:14 AM, quilp said:

Let that be it, you two. Take it to the other thread if you don't fucking mind... 

I had to go and have a little cry on my own...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Excuse me but just look at what that nasty Mr Quilp said to me the other day:

I had to go and have a little cry on my own...

P.K. I have not significantly posted on this thread for years. Quite purposely. Several years down the line, I want serious and potentially progressive debate. No, Brexit has not been perfect. Everyone has suffered, and everyone has benefited. Nobody said it was going to be perfect. 
However, in real terms, as I have posted before, the uk is doing well. In fact, far better than the main stream media has or does portray. 
Nothing is ever achieved with conflict. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cambon said:

P.K. I have not significantly posted on this thread for years. Quite purposely. Several years down the line, I want serious and potentially progressive debate. No, Brexit has not been perfect. Everyone has suffered, and everyone has benefited. Nobody said it was going to be perfect. 
However, in real terms, as I have posted before, the uk is doing well. In fact, far better than the main stream media has or does portray. 
Nothing is ever achieved with conflict. 

Now you're having a laugh!

The MSM consisting of the Daily Mail, the Express, the Sun, the Telegraph and to some extent the Times expend not only front pages but loads of column inches extolling how wonderful brexit is when time and again it's quite simply a pile of poo!

Your "the uk is doing well. In fact, far better than the main stream media has or does portray" bears no resemblance whatsoever to reality...

Here's a challenge. Try and find one piece in the MSM consisting of the Daily Mail, the Express, the Sun, the Telegraph and to some extent the Times that says brexit is not going well...

14 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

But time and time again, it has been shown that yes, there are shortages of food of medicine all over.  And yes, there was Covid and side affects of war in Ukraine for all, but the UK has recovered at a slower rate because of Brexit and our isolation.

Why is the UK economy lagging behind the US, Germany and others? - BBC News

Not appreciably so. The effects have been widespread, and have hit everyone. I have already cited the main reason for more acute medicine shortages in Britain - the NHS.