Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Me too. Provided it's negotiated for mutual benefit and no preconditions dictated by either side.

No, you mean that there are no preconditions from the EU.  You are perfectly happy with the UK having preconditions such as not being expected to comply with EU standards. 

Unfortunately, the EU as a collective,  hold most of the good cards.  The UK is in a fairly weak position so I imagine that the EU will take a robust stance in any formal negotiations. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

No, you mean that there are no preconditions from the EU.  You are perfectly happy with the UK having preconditions such as not being expected to comply with EU standards. 

Er, wouldn’t having to comply with EU standards be a precondition emanating from the EU?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Er, wouldn’t having to comply with EU standards be a precondition emanating from the EU?

Yes.

But Brexiteers seem to think that the EU are going to be willing to waive those standards for the UK.

I think the best we can hope for at the moment is better cooperation on immigration, security and on cross European bodies like Eurasmus and Euratom.

Trade is going to be a problem if the UK/Brexiteers insist that the UK be free of EU standards for exports.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Yes.

But Brexiteers seem to think that the EU are going to be willing to waive those standards for the UK.

I think the best we can hope for at the moment is better cooperation on immigration, security and on cross European bodies like Eurasmus and Euratom.

Trade is going to be a problem if the UK/Brexiteers insist that the UK be free of EU standards for exports.

It seems to be a bit of a one way street for you and your friend LC. The UK has its own standards which usually meet , if not exceed,those of the EU. Chlorinated chicken red herring apart.

For example we don’t allow bulls to be slaughtered in a ring as some sort of entertainment spectacle. Are those the sort of standards of which you speak?

We don’t need the EU to tell us what is right and what is wrong.
We are more than capable of deciding for ourselves taking into account our own particular circumstances, which naturally  do not  always align with those of 27 other countries.

53 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It seems to be a bit of a one way street for you and your friend LC. The UK has its own standards which usually meet , if not exceed,those of the EU. Chlorinated chicken red herring apart.

Yes, I agree but that is in part due to the fact that the UK hasn't changed standards significantly since leaving the EU.  There are some exceptions which were a result of trade agreements with othe countries such as Australia.

It also rather undermines the argument that Brussels was in some way responsible for red tape pre-brexit.  As you say in many cases it was actually the UK Government who was responsible for it.

For example we don’t allow bulls to be slaughtered in a ring as some sort of entertainment spectacle. Are those the sort of standards of which you speak?

As far as I am aware you are referring to Spain.  One nation who have their own laws whilst being inside the EU.

Do I agree with Bull Fighting? No.  Absolutely not but Spain has chosen to allow it.  Ironically you highlighting this somewhat undermines your sovereignty argument. Clearly Spain has the ability to create its own laws whilst inside the EU and hasn't been told to ban Bull Fighting by the EU.

Well don’t need the EU to tell us what is right and what is wrong.
We are more than capable of deciding for ourselves taking into account our own particular circumstances, which naturally  do not  always align with those of 27 other countries.

Yes, just like Spain in the example above.  

If the UK ever wants anything approaching free trade with the EU then compromises will have to be made.  As I said earlier the EU as a collective really holds all the cards when compared to the UK.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

If the UK ever wants anything approaching free trade with the EU then compromises will have to be made.  As I said earlier the EU as a collective really holds all the cards when compared to the UK.

Correct.

It means surrendering some of your "sovrinty" as you have to do in every trade deal you sign up to...

Bottom line is to deliberately make it more complicated, more difficult, more time consuming and thus more expensive to trade with your biggest trading partner that sits right on your doorstep can only be a really stupid thing to do.

Unless, of course, you're blinded by xenophobia or paranoid about the future...

16 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Yes, I agree but that is in part due to the fact that the UK hasn't changed standards significantly since leaving the EU.  There are some exceptions which were a result of trade agreements with othe countries such as Australia.

It also rather undermines the argument that Brussels was in some way responsible for red tape pre-brexit.  As you say in many cases it was actually the UK Government who was responsible for it.

As far as I am aware you are referring to Spain.  One nation who have their own laws whilst being inside the EU.

Do I agree with Bull Fighting? No.  Absolutely not but Spain has chosen to allow it.  Ironically you highlighting this somewhat undermines your sovereignty argument. Clearly Spain has the ability to create its own laws whilst inside the EU and hasn't been told to ban Bull Fighting by the EU.

Yes, just like Spain in the example above.  

Of course there are areas where the EU does not (currently) legislate, so yes, member states act intra vires on such matters. Beyond those matters EU Law is supreme, as has been pointed out ad nauseam.

You write some incredible stuff about sovereignty and everything else concerning the EU. The UK already has a comprehensive free trade agreement with the EU, incidentally. This is not what the current discussions are about.

3 hours ago, woolley said:

Of course there are areas where the EU does not (currently) legislate, so yes, member states act intra vires on such matters. Beyond those matters EU Law is supreme, as has been pointed out ad nauseam.

You write some incredible stuff about sovereignty and everything else concerning the EU. The UK already has a comprehensive free trade agreement with the EU, incidentally. This is not what the current discussions are about.

If you read back you would see that I am well aware that the current discussions are not about trade.

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

If you read back you would see that I am well aware that the current discussions are not about trade.

Perhaps, but the post I answered includes the following:

The UK has a comprehensive free trade agreement with the EU. Probably the most comprehensive one that the EU has with anyone.

On 8/31/2024 at 6:43 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I did chortle at the irony of a Brexiteer using an example of a EU member nation exercising its own sovereignty while being an EU member as a reason we shouldn't be in the EU to retain our "sovereignty".

Delicious.