Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

5 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Do we really need the ECHR to determine how the UK should determine its domestic legislation as to workers terms and conditions? And how they should be protected. 

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/what-employment-laws-are-changing-from-april-2024/

I would suggest not. Let the UK get out of this ( no doubt well meaning) organisation and enact its own legislation.

The UK can leave the EU to regain sovereignty. Why not the ECHR?

I personally can't see anything wrong in that link, why should aspects of employment law not move with the times and employees have some benefits and protection

Of course, the average Brexiteer would be happy to regress to pushing small children up chimneys in the same fashion as they aspire to dragging the rest of Britain backwards.

Fortunately to date leaving the ECHR is not on the table.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2024 at 1:47 AM, Non-Believer said:

I personally can't see anything wrong in that link, why should aspects of employment law not move with the times and employees have some benefits and protection

Of course, the average Brexiteer would be happy to regress to pushing small children up chimneys in the same fashion as they aspire to dragging the rest of Britain backwards.

Fortunately to date leaving the ECHR is not on the table.

This was my point:-

“These changes come from several pieces of legislation passed in the last two years, mostly Private Members’ Bills which have passed with Government support and related secondary legislation. “

25 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This was my point:-

“These changes come from several pieces of legislation passed in the last two years, mostly Private Members’ Bills which have passed with Government support and related secondary legislation. “

Is your point that a Labour Government is enhancing employee rights and therefore we don't need the ECHR? 

46 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

So we are just referring to employment law.  Is that correct?

The UK Government and the UK Government alone, should be implementing and enforcing all legislation that governs UK businesses and citizens . Without outside  bodies, like the ECHR and previously the EU, being able to override such legislation.

Yes by all means look at what other countries have done, and,  if and where appropriate pass similar legislation. And adopt practices that have been proven to be beneficial elsewhere and reject those that haven’t.

But the UK should not have other countries telling it what to do when it comes to enacting its own domestic legislation. (Imagine the UK being able to stymie the law makers in the USA!)

That surely is something that most people would agree with. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But the UK should not have other countries telling it what to do when it comes to enacting its own domestic legislation. (Imagine the UK being able to stymie the law makers in the USA!)

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah "sovrinty"....

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The UK Government and the UK Government alone, should be implementing and enforcing all legislation that governs UK businesses and citizens . Without outside  bodies, like the ECHR and previously the EU, being able to override such legislation.

Yes by all means look at what other countries have done, and,  if and where appropriate pass similar legislation. And adopt practices that have been proven to be beneficial elsewhere and reject those that haven’t.

You didn't answer my question. 

Do you know why the ECHR was established? 

50 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Do you know why the ECHR was established? 

Indeed I do

“The ECHR is the European Convention on Human Rights [which established the Court] It was drafted in the aftermath of the Second World War and the Holocaust in an attempt to protect the people from the State, make sure the atrocities committed would never be repeated, and safeguard fundamental rights.”

So a good idea initially, but like the EEC and NGO’s like Greenpeace and Amnesty International has drifted into spacesit was never intended for it to occupy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@The Voice of Reason you have checked out some of the recent cases haven't you?

What do you think it is doing that inhibits the UK? 

Well if it doesn’t inhibit the UK in doing what it wants there’s surely no reason for the UK to remain a party to it and it may as well leave. Don't you agree?

16 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I didn't vote for Stu Peters mk1, I certainly would not vote for mk1.5.

Why not?

I’d have those children up those chimney’s before you could say Jack Robinson.

ECHR or no ECHR !

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of last para