Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

2 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

The middle question is the question that is between the question on the left and the question on the right. It's obvious if you think about it. 

Nope still can’t find it amongst the jumble of the twitter thread. Not obvious. Perhaps you could state it for me? Sorry to be obtuse if I am.

Anyway the fact remains the vote was the vote. People were given a binary option and  they made their choice clear. There was no obfuscating third choice.

Lets just say there was a referendum on bringing back the death penalty.

You can vote yes or no.

Do you introduce “ middle” options like only if it’s done by hanging, or only if by electric chair or gas chamber etc?

25 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Anyway, irrespective of the attempt to spin it, it seems that 34% of those polled believe we were right to leave the EU, against 54% who believe we were wrong to leave the EU. 

Believe what you want to believe. The majority voted to leave the EU at the time of the referendum. 
And that is when the vote mattered. 
Get over it

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Believe what you want to believe. The majority voted to leave the EU at the time of the referendum. 
And that is when the vote mattered. 
Get over it

But that was then and this is now and there is absolutely nothing is law which would prevent the UK holding another referendum, applying to re-join without a referendum or simply to align and sign up the UK to EU rules.  The referendum was non binding and purely advisory. It could not be anything else at the time as nobody had a clear idea what Brexit actually looked like. Even now there is no final answer as the UK wants to renegotiate the NI protocol which is negotiated and signed up to a year ago.

The double standards of some are really amazing in that the results of a non binding referendum which at the time nobody could actually set out what the terms of Brexit were is set in stone but a formally agreement that was negotiated and agreed should be terminated just after a year after it was signed up to on the basis that it was never expected that the EU would actually implement the terms in the agreement.

I have always said the Brexit should run its course to try and lance the boil but the hypocrisy of some is truly stunning.

• Thanks 1

Brexit isn't really any of my business, I left the IOM in 1972 and then departed from the UK in 1975 and have lived in North America since.  However, with family still "at home" I try to follow what is going on "back there" while at the same time trying to avoid the ridiculous stuff happening over here!  Anyway, I found an interesting write up about the UK on The Atlantic website.  By-the-way, it doesn't really blame Brexit for anything but presents the case that maybe it happened as a result of other conflicts within the state.  It makes an interesting read.

Here's the link:   https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2022/01/will-britain-survive/621095/

• Thanks 2