Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

On 5/1/2022 at 9:57 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Just chill. Brexit was never going to sort out all the ills in months or even years. 
It took a long time for the UK to embed itself into the EU “project “

Its going to take a lot of time to disengage itself from it.

But it will be worth it

P P T.

From the Telegraph today:-

“Macron proposes a constellation  of democratic and liberal states that wish to trade and cooperate on friendly terms with having to it accept the full EU package.

What was deemed impossible during the Brexit talks and before the UK was dragged by perpetual creep into a proto - superstate against its will has now become a fashionable possibility.

(Previously) the UK was told there could only be a binary choice either in (or almost in) without voting rights like Norway  or out, a little different from Vietnam, Brazil or Madagascar

Put crudely the Barnier line was that any form of bespoke arrangement was cakeism,, a threat to the indivisible legacy unity of the EU 

Macron did not explicitly name the United Kingdom but said the arrangement should be open to these countries which had left the European Union which is the same thing”

I think such an alliance would be more beneficial to both UK and other European countries and encourage cooperation.

It would be more in line with that the UK signed up to not the mega state that the European Union has become.

Perhaps the Brexit penny/ cent is dropping with our European neighbours. 

Such statements are certainly encouraging and are to be welcomed.

We should work together but shouldn’t have to lose our sovereignty as a condition or as a result.

Vive la difference!

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 9:57 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Just chill. Brexit was never going to sort out all the ills in months or even years. 
It took a long time for the UK to embed itself into the EU “project “

Its going to take a lot of time to disengage itself from it.

But it will be worth it

Chances are most of us will be dead by the time these supposed benefits materialise

Bank of England still thinks Brexit will cut GDP by 3.25% in long term, MPs told

At the Treasury committee Sir Dave Ramsden, the Bank of England’s deputy governor for markets and banking, said the main impact of Brexit would be on trade intensity. He said the Bank thought it would cut GDP by about 3.25% in the long term (over the next 15 or 20 years). That estimate had not changed, he said.

Because it was a long-term impact, it was hard to track, he said. He said the impact of shocks such as Covid and the Ukraine war were more visible because they were more immediate.

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Chances are most of us will be dead by the time these supposed benefits materialise

Bank of England still thinks Brexit will cut GDP by 3.25% in long term, MPs told

At the Treasury committee Sir Dave Ramsden, the Bank of England’s deputy governor for markets and banking, said the main impact of Brexit would be on trade intensity. He said the Bank thought it would cut GDP by about 3.25% in the long term (over the next 15 or 20 years). That estimate had not changed, he said.

Because it was a long-term impact, it was hard to track, he said. He said the impact of shocks such as Covid and the Ukraine war were more visible because they were more immediate.

Were this even proven  to be true ( and how many economic predictions prove to be so?) is this how you measure your quality of life? By such “supposed benefits”?

There are a lot more important things in the world I would wish to happen before I curl up my toes

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Stanley Johnson obtains French citizenship. Amazing. Joins Nigel Lawson and Andrew Neil. Brexit was never for them. Just the little people. 

Not quite sure what this has to do with Brexit.

Why shouldn’t he obtain French citizenship if eligible? It’s a nice country. Like his son said “love Europe but not the EU”

There is a lot of mischief makers still out there trying to stir up trouble to suit their own political ends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not quite sure what this has to do with Brexit.

I suppose it depends on why he, and others, wanted French Citizenship? 

Personally I would like to have citizenship of an EU country so I can freely travel and move around the member states once again.  Unfortunately I don't qualify for citizenship in any of these countries as far as I am aware.  

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:49 PM, manxman1980 said:

I suppose it depends on why he, and others, wanted French Citizenship? 

Personally I would like to have citizenship of an EU country so I can freely travel and move around the member states once again.  Unfortunately I don't qualify for citizenship in any of these countries as far as I am aware.  

Well you can freely travel in the EU member states as you can go to America, Australia,China etc. Subject not to having criminal convictions and the like

If it’s the working in other countries that concerns you don’t you think it’s fair that after Brexit a French, Belgian, Spanish person etc doesn’t have an inbuilt unfair advantage from an Australian or American applicant applying for the same job in the UK?

16 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you can freely travel in the EU member states as you can go to America, Australia,China etc. Subject not to having criminal convictions and the like

Sure, but before Brexit I didn't have restrictions applied nor did I have to use the slower Non EU queues.

16 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

If it’s the working in other countries that concerns you don’t you think it’s fair that after Brexit a French, Belgian, Spanish person etc doesn’t have an inbuilt unfair advantage from an Australian or American applicant applying for the same job in the UK?

Interesting that you chose American and Australian for your comparison.  What about fairness for the Indians, Pakistanis, Saudi's etc.?

Also don't forget that the UK Government is using visas as a bargaining chip in trade negotiations. 

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Sure, but before Brexit I didn't have restrictions applied nor did I have to use the slower Non EU queues.

Interesting that you chose American and Australian for your comparison.  What about fairness for the Indians, Pakistanis, Saudi's etc.?

Yes those as well.

I didn’t think I had to name all non EU countries to make my point.

I am so sorry you have now to use a slower queue. It must be a great inconvenience, but one that the Indians, Pakistanis Saudis, Koreans etc have had to endure for all these years.

But it makes things a bit more fair don’t you think?

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes those as well.

I didn’t think I had to name all non EU countries to make my point.

I am so sorry you have now to use a slower queue. It must be a great inconvenience, but one that the Indians, Pakistanis Saudis, Koreans etc have had to endure for all these years.

But it makes things a bit more fair don’t you think?

Bet you aren’t half as keen on being fair by giving visa waiver free access to the UK and equal treatment by immigration officers to Syrians or Afghans, or Yemenis or Somalis, or Libyans, etc. you get the picture?

And you overlook the reason for the EU passport lane. It was reciprocal because we got, in at least as great numbers, the right to live, work, travel, retire, as they, through economic self interest that worked well.

We didn’t have to leave the EU, and even if we left we didn’t have to leave the EEA, or choose to become a third country outside the customs Union or single market. 

It was never in the wildest dreams of Farage or ERG to drop out so fast so far. It was to be a staged step by step approach. But after the referendum, and the unexpected win, caused at least in part by BoJo changing sides due to naked ambition, and the dithering of May, there was a hard right, hard Brexit, coup.

• Like 2