Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

19 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes indeed John twenty grains do equal a scruple.

Should be common knowledge just like the legal doctrine of stare decisis 😀

Why should the number of grains in a scruple be common knowledge? 

I am sure most people will be familiar with the principle of stare decisis even if they did not know that was the term.  Unlike grains and scruples, however, it is still relevant and in use.

34 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes indeed John twenty grains do equal a scruple.

Should be common knowledge just like the legal doctrine of stare decisis 😀

There's no way Boris is going to reintroduce scruples.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://order-order.com/2022/06/13/judge-rules-cadwalladr-claims-of-russian-backing-for-banks-were-defamatory-awards-no-damages/

Full story here. As Banks has said prior to the case, this action was about clearing his name.

The Guardian's headline is misleadng. Cadwalladr was found to have defamed Banks, so who 'lost' the case..? 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, quilp said:

https://order-order.com/2022/06/13/judge-rules-cadwalladr-claims-of-russian-backing-for-banks-were-defamatory-awards-no-damages/

Full story here. As Banks has said prior to the case, this action was about clearing his name.

The Guardian's headline is misleadng. Cadwalladr was found to have defamed Banks, so who 'lost' the case..? 

The "full story" from just another pundit somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan you mean.

Banks "clear his name" indeed. What tosh.

Banks tried to crush Cadwalladr financially and failed.

That's all I care about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Bollocks, as usual. 

So Guido isn't a right wing pundit, doesn't have an agenda and you always research his opinions instead of just posting up his stuff verbatim....

Yeah, right...

Got to admire a sense of humour.

It had nothing to do with Arron Bank's "clearing his name" but everything to do with stifling investigative journalism by trying to financially destroy a journalist out of pure spite.

Any proponent of free speech should admire Cadwalladr. After all, we shouldn't let Private Eye do the honours unsupported you know.

4 hours ago, P.K. said:

The "full story" from just another pundit somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan you mean.

Banks "clear his name" indeed. What tosh.

Banks tried to crush Cadwalladr financially and failed.

That's all I care about.

Surely the truth is more important than anything you may wish to care about.

Cadwalldr  has admitted that  her allegations were not true.

As Quilp says she was found to have defamed Banks.

Fortunately for him he has the wherewithal to have challenged her. Others don’t have the means in such circumstances.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Surely the truth is more important than anything you may wish to care about.

Cadwalldr  has admitted that  her allegations were not true.

As Quilp says she was found to have defamed Banks.

Fortunately for him he has the wherewithal to have challenged her. Others don’t have the means in such circumstances.

PPT

18 hours ago, quilp said:

As Banks has said prior to the case, this action was about clearing his name.

The Guardian's headline is misleading. Cadwalladr was found to have defamed Banks, so who 'lost' the case..? 

Unlike you Arron Banks has absolutely no doubts whatsoever that he "lost" the case:

See new Tweets
Congratulations to Carole on winning today, it leaves open for the journalist the excuse that she thought what she said was correct even though she had no facts. There are important points of law at stake here & we will likely appeal.
  • Like 2

Carole Cadwalladr: "I won the libel claim brought against me by Arron Banks, the main funder of the Leave.EU campaign...I’m writing this today because the law must change. We cannot and must not allow another journalist to go through this. Not for the sake of their sanity but for the health of our democracy. Because this is not democracy. It’s oligarchy. And Banks v Cadwalladr needs to be the last time these obscene laws are used against a journalist in this way..."  

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/commentisfree/2022/jun/19/arron-banks-set-out-to-crush-me-in-court-instead-my-quest-for-the-facts-was-vindicated

• Like 2